“R&R, Cornish style.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“R&R, Cornish style.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Utterly blissful stay - I've been wanting to visit the Scarlet since it opened and finally made it there this summer. It could not have been a more relaxing and reinvigorating stay - I was travelling alone, but was made to feel very welcome. The spa is super-relaxing (the appropriate response to your therapist telling you you can stay in the hammock/cocoon like relaxation pods is "wake me for dinner please"), both the indoor and outdoor pools are superb (and never seem to be packed). I spent my days moving from balcony, to sun lounger, to hammock, to hot tub, to pool. It's not cheap, but my goodness, is it worth every penny. You come away a different person.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
The title of your review does say it all! Thank you .... as that is exactly what we aim to deliver. I hope you can come back and relax with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Odiham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

4 years after monitoring its creation via the Scarlet's blog and mentally putting it at the top of my list of places to go, we finally arrived on its 4 year anniversary and it was worth the wait! Stunning art, fantastic fresh food and views that could make you cry from their sheer beauty - this was a birthday treat where treat takes on a whole new meaning.
We had all sorts of plans for going out and about in the local area, but once we got inside the hotel, we felt totally wrapped in its warm embrace and didn't venture out, apart from cliff top walks and a midnight scramble down the path onto the beach (made more eventful by the batteries on our phone running out half way down!).
I had a journey at the spa, which was not only relaxing but enlightening too and we braved the outdoor pool (its not called 'fresh'water for nothing!) because it's so enticing.
Yes, it's true that the approach is not as spectacular as the beachfront vista and parking can be tight but everything has been carefully thought of; there is a valet parking service for example for those of us tempted to just abandon the car at the thought of parallel parking!) and nothing is too much trouble for the fantastic staff.
My benchmark for hotels is how happy and excited I feel when I am there and how sad I am to leave and on that basis the Scarlet beats most others hands -down. It's hard to drag yourself away from the immersion in peace, tranquilly and nature and back to the 'real world'. We're not waiting 4 years for our next visit and are already planning to be back next summer.

Room Tip: We had Room 1 on the top floor - stunning aesthetics with the artwork combining with the natural fa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amazing review of your stay - thank you so much for taking the time to write it, I hope you got back from the mid-night beach walk OK!? We are all so pleased that you are coming back soon.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have now visited The Scarlet Day Spa a fair few times and really enjoyed every visit. We were have been very, very lucky as each visit bought great weather.

The spa itself is serene and well thought out. Its warming oat and cream decor hues with wood and stone textures all merge effortlessly into one another and really echo relaxation. The changing facilities are well equipped and nicely designed with the welcome touch of complimentary tea and water.

The pool is lovely as is the adjourning steam room. All well maintained and often very quiet.

The relaxing indoor spa has loungers, giant floor cushions and hanging canvas pods (that take two) all to rest in. This space has an amazing view that only gets better if you rest outside next to a reed pool which is highly refreshing if you can handle a cool dip. There is also a canvas pod room inside that's lovely for a nap or a think.

The outdoor space is generously littered with loungers and more secluded ones as you descend downward toward the beach. Further down there are great big red cushions scattered over the grassy cliff verge that you can easily morph into and just watch the beach view.

We love the refreshing Rhassoul, its so good. We really wanted to try the Hammam but it was out of action so hopefully next time.

The cliff view hot tub is just super and are vastly improved since we first came to The Scarlett and sat in the red tubs. Though i miss the red tubs i can see why these are better and they feel way hotter which on a cooler day would be just amazing.

The fact that there are no children allowed makes this place even more wonderful. Believe, I have been to spa's and pools where kids rule the place because the parents use the facilities as an excuse to not look after there energetic, destructive sprogs!

My only criticisms and suggestions are out of love for The Scarlett that I hope will grow and develop.

Firstly the wonderful hooded robes need renewing as they are thread baring slightly. They are good quality so i hope they renew like for like and not go for any of those cheaper waffle options.

Its a shame there is not a dry sauna and Jacuzzi as this would just propel the experience beyond and allow guests to manoeuvre around a little more, especially if the other facilities are a little busy. Just an observation, nowt huge.

The lunch menu has usually been great but this time felt a little unloved, cheaper and had less exciting options. It would be wise to keep the incorporated lunch option great as it really adds to the experience.

The service is always great but I really feel for the spa staff who are in and out constantly taking peoples orders. It may be better to have a permanent spa waiter around or a facility for guest to use to order things themselves.

I wish the main interior of the restaurant, bar and the corridors décor could be reconsidered as it's all a tad garish. The overly 80's expressive prog art and slightly 90's home improvement show ornamentation lacks the execution, harmony and spirit of the spa areas, but hey I've never stayed here long enough to really absorb them.

I love The Scarlet and will continue to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
What a really lovely review of your Spa day and I have passed on all the kind comments to the Spa teams , who look forward to seeing you back again soon. PS: We have had a delivery of the new robes
NORTH WEST ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I had the joy to visit the restaurant here last weekend. It is a fine dining establishment. Both the food and service were second to none and the sea views were splendid! I have seen nothing to rival it in Cornwall. There was no charge made for mineral water, which I thought was a nice touch. The staff were excellent, well done to them for providing an excellent dining experience. Hope to be back on my next trip to Cornwall.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
What a lovely review of your visit to the Scarlet Restaurant , thank you for taking the time to write about it ,- I have passed all your lovely comments on to the chefs and the restaurant team.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It's hard to know what to say about the Scarlet as my experiences have been mixed.

Approaching the hotel is via what appears to be a residential street and not perhaps what you would normally expect. Turning into the cramped car park you are met with lots of expensive cars. We were in a new Evoque and still felt a little on the poor side. You have to park where you can and if you block someone in, which is the norm really, just leave your keys on reception.

The approach to the hotel gives no real feel of what is inside or the scale of the place.

"Reception" is basically a few sofas in an open atrium. There's a feature infinity type pool view through a ceiling height window which has the beach and ocean as a backdrop. It's quite a nice, calming feeling right from the start.

Following the instructions on the table - "take a seat, we know you are here" - someone quickly comes out and welcomes you. There's no real check in procedure but you are personally led to your room and the basics of your stay are explained as you are welcomed to "the Scarlet experience". Your luggage is brought up to you a little later.

The first stay I paid for the best room in the place. £550 per night including dinner. First impressions of the price on booking were that it had better be good. This price is equivalent to a top London hotel. When you consider things a bit more though and take say 50 per head off for the inclusive dinner and perhaps another 25 it's still not the bargain of the week but perhaps make it seem more of a value.

The room itself was a king indulgent on the top floor. Open, spacious and with a wet room shower and a standalone bath/living area. The large bed itself faced out over the balcony to rolling ocean views. Given the size of the room and the view it became hard to put a value on it as well as question the cost. I guess at this point I had to say although very expensive it was a value for money. I booked it wanting the best and I got it.

Dinner was booked for 8.30 as my original 7.30 time was unavailable. We had a table for two next to the panoramic window with unimpeded views of the beach, ocean and sunset. The menu is best described as upmarket although a little limited for choice. The food itself was cooked perfectly and the service was superb

The Scarlet is an all-adult hotel with no facilities for families. It's a haven for couples seeking a little relaxation and putting the romance back in a relationship. It feels unhurried, clean, spacious and with more than a little thought gone in to it. For example the balcony had a water pistol on it for an environmentally friendly way of putting off the extensive local seagull population. Personally I would have preferred a shotgun but hey, we can't always have what we want!

If you book the Scarlet expect quality. The interior, the views, the food, the rooms, the service, the experience. It's what you book for and it delivers. Their web site is quite good at describing the place and showing pictures. It's pretty much what you expect and it delivers.

The only thing I could find wrong with the first visit was the plug in the bath didn't work! if that's the worst in the hotel it's a result.

Room Tip: They are always heavily booked but opt for the best room you can. Ocean views are awesome.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a good and detailed review of your recent stay. It is always our intention to 'wow' our guests and it is lovely to be able to tell the teams that we have and that your were impressed.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here as part of our honeymoon. Was a wonderful hotel and was refreshing to stay somewhere with a new and different style to the usual high-price hotel. You are made to feel extremely welcome, with no pretentious attitude anywhere to be found. Looking at some of the other reviews, it seems seasoned 5-star holidayers may not be too impressed based on the price, but they are missing the point. The Scarlet may have a high price, but it doesn't aim to be the next Savoy or Claridges, its a totally different experience. Its all about relaxation, and feeling extremely welcome. This is not to say things were not of a good quality. The rooms are incredible (particularly the views), the food is some of the best i have ever tried, and the staff were very friendly. The facilities were great, the cliff top pool and outside natural pool particular favourites, and the Rissoul experience a very nice treat. The little things also make this place special, such as the opportunity to walk the hotel dog, the pool table in the cosy area, the bean bags on the cliff, the monsoon shower etc.

For anyone wanting the standard top-notch 5* experience this may not be for you. But personally, this is better than those stuffy soulless institutes. It has been designed and thought out meticulously so that the guests feel totally at home. Loved it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It was 'Bliss' to read your review as you seem to have completely 'got' The Scarlet and what we are trying to deliver - thank you so much for taking the time to write it all down in this review. We all hope to welcome you back, possibly for your first wedding anniversary?!
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I and my wife stayed at The Scarlet last weekend as a break from work and the children. This is the perfect place to go to just get away from it, and chill out. I wish were there this weekend too!

The Scarlet is child, and importantly for us, smoking free throughout.

The overall theme is relaxation and the design and layout helps this, there is no formal lobby – sensors in the entrance alert staff who come greet you (that surely must annoy them every time we walk past though!). There are numerous rooms where you can just relax and despite the hotel being fully booked it never seemed busy and there were always places to relax. Overall it is clean, modern and stylishly decorated throughout.

The location is absolutely superb – everywhere you go you have fantastic views of the quite bay of Mawgan Porth. It is lovely and peaceful throughout the hotel – silent in the morning unless you open the doors to listen to the sound of the sea!

We stayed in an indulgent room at the Sea Thrift level – the worst of the Indulgent rooms in terms of the view, though you could still the sea – just the beach was obscured by the lower level roof (aka seathrift). The hotel called us to let us know this, which was nice of them, so it was not a surprise – and there were not better rooms available, so we went with it.

The room itself is really nice – a large modern and stylish open plan layout with the large comfy bed and walk in shower both positioned to overlook the sea. The freestanding bath was positioned in the middle of the room with the sofas adjacent, it really is a couples room!

My only gripe with the room is the toilet, it had a door you’ll be pleased to know, but it is very stark and, lets say, acoustically challenged! It could also do with a hand basin really!

Hotel service was great, decent fresh tea and coffee is brought to your room whenever and always promptly, and everything we asked for was dealt with promptly. The staff obviously enjoy working there and were very friendly.

The food was fantastic with the menu’s varied each day. The service was good, we were not rushed and they, at our request, made sure we had a table positioned well to watch the sun set over the sea as we dined in the evenings.

We made good use of the Spa facilities, the indoor pool is small but very nice, the hot tubs very relaxing (bar annoying wasps going for our drinks!) and the massage was so relaxing it was a struggle to speak afterwards! The hanging pods are so very relaxing – though are slightly cumbersome to get in and out of! We particularly liked the 'fatboys' that you could lounge out on outside overlooking the sea.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and wish it could has lasted longer.

The Scarlet is a bit on the pricey side really, but it’s worth it if you can afford it, we’ll certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels generally have the best views - of the just rights rooms the further left...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I really enjoyed reading your review as it was good to read you completely relaxed here, I agree with you totally, that to open your bedroom doors in the morning and just hear the sound of the sea is bliss! Also good to read that you enjoyed all the other peaceful areas of the hotel as well. We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!