Having stayed at the Scarlets sister hotel (The Bedruthan Steps Hotel) both my girlfriend and I had high hopes when visiting the Scarlet for our one night break in August 2013. Listed below is what we found good about the hotel followed by our disappointments. The score that we would have liked to of given is three and a half out of five but as this was not an option we have chosen to give a three as opposed to a four out of five as per our comments below.
- Very clean and luxurious. Everywhere is spotless
- Excellent location with stunning sea views and a short walk to the beach
- Evening meal in the restaurant was superb
- Room was very clean with a fantastic comfortable bed. Balcony was lovely
- Outdoor pool was unique and one of a kind. Best I have ever swam in
- Lots of relaxing areas - complimentary tea and coffee anywhere in the hotel. Coffee is of excellent quality
- Changing facilities in the spa are outstanding - private changing areas equipped with showers. Secure lockers with changeable pin codes
- Restaurant staff were superb
- From the moment we arrived both my girlfriend and I felt uncomfortable by the way the parking and 'booking in' process went. As soon as we had parked up in a nice single space right at the front of the hotel, we were asked to move the car to another space so that an expensive BMW 5 series could be parked in ours. Our Vauxhall was then going to be double parked at the rear of the hotel as opposed to the BMW. This made absolutely no sense whatsoever and when I pointed this out to the parking assistant and asked if this was to do with the fact that we didn't have a BMW, it was suddenly 'all change' and our car remained where we had parked it?
Although we arrived half an hour early we had to wait over 30 minutes to check in and had to chase it up on one occasion as we were just sat waiting and it felt like we had been forgotten about. I wanted to carry our own bags in from the car as both my girlfriend and I had been staying somewhere else in Cornwall the previous week and the bags were in a bit of a mess. When I explained this to the parking assistant he was adamant that he would take them in himself. This meant that we had to sort all our bags out quickly and on the spot with the assistant stood behind us whilst we were doing so.
- There was neither a jacuzzi or Sauna in the otherwise excellent Spa
- Breakfast format was not to our tastes. The menu was set out as three courses like an evening meal. We would have preferred a buffet
- As previously stated the rooms were lovely but the layout was definitely not to our taste. Having the toilet as part of the main room means that every sound made in the toilet can be clearly heard in the main part of the room. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to have a romantic night away
- The hot tubs were lovely but I think charging £15.00 for half hour is excessive when you are already paying £350.00 for the night and evening meal
- Morning newspaper should be included due to the price of the room
- The £5.00 charity donation that is automatically added to the bill is both disgusting and insulting. I am fully aware that a lot of the Scarlets clientel will have extensive disposable income but this is not the case for everyone. My girlfriend and I had to save for a number of months to be able to visit the hotel for a one night break and it was difficult. I don't expect to have the donation added to the bill but feel that if the Scarlet are keen to support local charities they can always subtract it from the bill for our one nights stay which totalled well over £400.00.
In the future we will choose the Bedruthan Steps hotel in preference to the Scarlet on every occasion. The Bedruthan Steps is our favourite hotel and this is why we thought we would try a break at the Scarlet. It is not that we didn't enjoy our break at the Scarlet but unfortunately it did not meet our expectations for the amount of money that we paid.
- Also Known As:
- The Scarlet Hotel Mawgan Porth, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simply put, we are a beautiful 37 bedroom hotel built to the highest eco standards, boasting delicious locally sourced food and the best Ayurvedic inspired spa you can imagine.Discover an escape for grown-ups, to eat, dream and play in peace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your The Scarlet Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.