“Great food and great welcome” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Truro, United Kingdom
“Great food and great welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

By chance we stopped at the Crow's Nest after taking the dogs for a walk near Minions. So pleased that we did because the pub has everything we like, great moorland character,a real fire, excellent food and a genuine welcome. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the game pie and I thought my mushroom wellington was tasty and unusual. We will definitely return when in that area and I wish the new owners a happy and successful life at the Crow's Nest. Dog friendly too!

• Visited December 2012

81% Recommend
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“Still flying high...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I almost wanted to dislike our dinner... let me explain! We loved the Crow's Nest under the previous owners, the pub was exceptionally well run and the food, wonderful.

We hadn't been in several months and took family there tonight, expecting to find the pub as we had left it. Not, to find new owners!

I had the Crow's Nest burger, partner had partridge, mother in law the salmon linguine and father in law, the game pie. After the genuine dismay at finding the previous owners gone, and almost assuming it wouldn't be as nice, I hold my hands up - I was wrong - it was lovely.

Warm welcome, nice ale, and the food was highly praised by us all. In fact, it was one of the best burgers I'd had in a long while. Being ultra critical I would have liked a bit more of the delicious red cabbage coleslaw (but didn't ask for more, I'm sure they would have obliged) and maybe the chips cooked a fraction longer, but that's very much a personal taste thing and you'll always get someone a bit fussy!

Greedily, I was the only one to have pudding (for research purposes, you understand) and really enjoyed a marmelade bread and butter pudding with custard. I would have like more currant sauce as the slight acidity was lovely with the richness of the pudding and the creamy custard.

All in all, a very lovely evening with lovely food, and we'll definitely be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lancing, United Kingdom
“Land ahoy - all is well!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We visited the Crows Nest Inn as the new couple were taking over from a long-standing landlord. With a pub sign sporting two different crows nests it really was a wonderful find on a foggy autumn evening on the bleak and windswept Bodmin Moor. Inside the genuinely olde worlde pub we were greeted by a roaring log fire - with candles on tables - a welcoming host and lots of pumps sporting real Cornish ale. A good sign I thought! We were not disappointed. The St. Austell ales (including Tribute) were in immaculate condition - seems this is a proper pub which does food rather than so many nowadays where the drinkers get in the way of the food. Having said that, the menu was varied and interesting and we all tried different dishes. The food is made to order so don't expect fast food - it's worth the wait - enjoy the ambience and conviviality of the locals.

• Visited October 2012
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
“Crows Nest Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had a couple of meals during our stay at Hendrifton Farm. Food was very good and the ambience of the Inn is very quaint.

Visited October 2012
Cornwall, UK
“Best place in the area by a country mile.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Great little pub with the food to match its feel. Top in this area in my opinion. The food in the evening is not "pub food" its far better than that. My dog loved the fire and I loved the beers. We have been lots of times now and plan on going lots more.