“Gorgeous food, gorgeous drinks!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London, UK
“Gorgeous food, gorgeous drinks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

From the moment I sat down it was clear that a lot of thought had been put into everything on the menu. The first thing that caught my eye was the beer list: 13 Cornish real ales (bottle conditioned)! Why don't more restaurants do this? Wines by the bottle seemed well chosen and well priced too. The bread was an excellent home baked sourdough fougasse.

For starters I had herring with Canarian mojo sauce and my partner had steamed Cornish mussels with fresh thyme, cider and garlic. Both were excellent. The mussels were consistently plump and tasty and the herring worked well with the spicy, garlicky mojo.

Next, she had chargrilled local mackerel with French beans, anchovies, garlic, parsley, coriander oil and new potatoes. The mackerel was moist and flavoursome; perfectly cooked. I had pan-fried plaice fillets with mussels and pastis sauce.

The ambience is relaxed and comfortable and the prices, at £15 for two courses or £20 for three courses, were more than reasonable (mid-week, so I don't know what weekend prices are like). For such a small village I was surprised that it was almost full. Only one empty table on a Wednesday in October is a sign of a restaurant whose reputation has spread and which people return to.

I had a custard tart with cardamom, ginger and rhubarb. Again, excellent combinations and perfectly cooked. There was a good selection of dessert wines by the glass and it was clear that they had really thought about the whiskies too, a the selection was interesting and unusual, including a really good grain whisky. Most restaurants don't stray from the usual brands but here it's clear that they have actively tried to find interesting and unusual alternatives.

I wish there were a restaurant like this near my house!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

BATH
“Simply wonderful........!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We've been visiting this part of Cornwall for many years but sadly only just discovered The Greenhouse (and we must have driven past it many times!) Having now dined there twice in 2 weeks it will be on our list of 'must do' for every trip. For us, the service and the atmosphere of this restaurant are just perfect and as for the food............the food on both our vistis was beyond perfect.......... 'corny' comment perhaps but true! Lovely ingredients of good quality and cooked with such skill and talent.... everything tasted wonderful both as a complete dish and the individual ingredients. The fish dishes and the accompanying jus really are the best I've ever tasted. Leonie and Neil deserve every success............... I just wish this restaurant was near our home but as my husband said, we can't afford to eat out 5 nights a week (even at such reasonable prices) so perhaps it's just as well as the temptation would be too great!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A real find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Greenhouse serves good quality food in a relaxed style, at very reasonable prices. My wife and I had dinner there in October 2012 and would have gone back if time had permitted. In a cottage-style dining room, with plain wooden tables and a mix of chairs, we were treated to a three-course meal (fried hake as the main course) that was outstanding value at £20.00. The quiet, unassuming owner has a business here that could teach a lesson to many flashier, more expensive places.

Visited October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We ate here having read some excellent reviews on TA and comments from past visitors to the cottage we stayed in who recommended the restaurant - plus it was a 10 minute walk from our accommodation. It is only small - about 25 covers - but serves locally sourced food cooked well and imaginatively. There are two menus. The set menu at £15 for two courses or £20 for three courses with three choices of starter and main, a choice of two puddings or homemade ice cream/sorbet or cheese. This is incredible value given the quality and portion sizes. There is also an a la carte menu with about 5 options for starters and mains which include potatoes and veg. Both menus vary on a daily basis.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food, which is excellent - I have paid more for distinctly average meals elsewhere. You can tell the owners care about what they produce. There is no pressure to vacate your table by a certain time and the atmosphere is relaxed.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Derby, United Kingdom
“Two excellent meals !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We recently stayed at The Old Temperence House in St Keverne and were recommended to try this restaurant .
We really enjoyed the food ....so we booked for our last night there too. Both meals were excellent and we would both recommend highly AND return ourselves !
Very good value...so I would be happy to pay the extra for bread as it would seem only fair in relation to the costs.
The owners are very quiet and unassuming, don't hurry you in any way... and present superbly cooked food at a reasonable price .......whats not to like ? !!!!
Congratulations to the team and many thanks,
Mike and Pete