we booked a 3 night weekend stay through a well known newspaper . upon arrival we were greeted by friendly helpful staff , who were dealing with a disgruntled customer who was asking to be moved as she was dissatisfied with her accommodation , she was told they were fully booked for the weekend and could not offer her an alternative . the staff then directed us to our accommodation at the far end of the site . car parking was some distance from the accommodation , and under a lot of overhanging trees , which made the whole area seem very dark and unwelcoming . We opened the door to our accommodation , to be hit by the strong smell of wet dog , cigarettes and damp , despite the windows being open in all the rooms . when i looked in the bathroom there were pubic hairs in the bath , in the sink and on the floor . I went to reception immediately and informed them of the smell and the poor standard of cleanliness , they apologised and sent the cleaning team to rectify the situation . To their credit the cleaners did a fine job of cleaning the bathroom , and you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear , it is not their fault the window frames are rotten , the blinds are mouldy and the extraction doesn't work . they did however pass comment that 'this isnt that bad ' which leads me to thinking other accommodation on the site may be in worse condition and/or an even poorer standard of cleanliness . They left us with a bottle of fabric freshner spray to solve the smell problem , which I liberally sprayed on curtains , carpets , sofas , blinds etc , but it had little effect , as the overriding problem is damp . every morning the windows were running with water despite being left on ventilation setting and no heating being switched on . the window frames were all rotten and mouldly in every room , but particularly bad in the bathroom , and there were 4 dehumidifiers in the bathroom on the shelf , but they appeared to be having little effect on the damp problems . On the first night we cooked a meal in the accommodation and when went to open the utensil drawer we couldnt open it more than 1/3 as the drawer handle of the cutlery drawer obstructed it . Upon peering into the partially open drawer to try and locate a slotted spoon , we discovered a dead spider ! On a positive note , the oven , fridge and microwave all worked and were clean .
The bedrooms were very cramped and the beds tiny , we had to sleep in the twin room as we couldn't both fit in the supposed double bed (which was actually a 4ft bed not a double) the beds we very small and have hard lumpy mattresses and despite having all the windows open in the daytime ,were damp . By the 3rd night all our stuff smelled of damp and I was a bit chilly when I went to go to bed , so i took one of the spare quilts to put on my bed , only to discover it was covered in dog hairs - yuk ! the access to the twin room is incredibly narrow as the bed obstructs the doorway leaving just a hand width to get through , this could potentially be a health and safety risk , as trying to get out in an emergency would be difficult . The emergency light was very irritating and when we tried to close the bedroom door to stop the light shining in , we found the door wouldnt close because it had swollen due to the damp .
When we left in the morning i filled in the questionnaire and spoke to one of the staff at reception about the problems we had encountered and informed them we will not be returning -ever! they tried to say we should have come back to complain again and we would have been moved , but it is very easy to say that when we are leaving , and if that was the case , why was the customer in front of us on arrival being told they were fully booked ?
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most of guests have a great time. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated.
Report response as inappropriate
I am sorry to read that you did not inform the park manager or head office of your displeasure while you were there, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. It is so much easier to deal with the problems while you are on the park – you could be moved to alternative accommodation or to another park. If you were unhappy with anything, tell the manager – there is no need to “grin and bear” it on a John Fowler Holiday.
However, it may be difficult to deal with after you have gone home, but not impossible and I will be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service to discover precisely where you where staying and see what we can do to help.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.