“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Truro, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went here as its a local place and popular. The staff were very nice and efficient but the food was disappointing.The starter was not served as it was discribed on the menu and the mains were over cooked and uninspireing. It is a great place for tea and cakes and farm shop is good,but will not rush back to eat in the evening.

• Visited May 2013
Trevaskis F, Owner at Trevaskis Farm, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
What a shame you felt uninspired by the food on the evening menu - I apologise for this and I know the chefs are mortified. Happily, the feedback I get from customers in the restaurant confirms that this is not the experience of the majority, but nonethless we take your comments very seriously. We have the most amazing ingredients to work with, so there is no excuse at all for being uninspiring! We have ensured now that chefs are made constantly aware of what is available on the farm and work hard to conjure up delicious dishes that really show these wonderful fresh ingredients at their best. I hope you give us another try - I would be pleased to know if you do and for further feedback!

St Ives, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill. And don`t believe website prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited Travaskis farm yesterday ,21st June , not our first visit ,, however it seems that things are going backward , 2 of us has fillet steak ,, seemed a lot smaller than in the past ,we recieved one small basin of chips between 3 people ,, should have had one each at £18 pound plus ,had to ask for more ,
Cajun chicken was just covered in tomato and cheese ,not spicy at all ,and very overpriced at £15.95, I think the chef must have had a bad night ,
The menu prices have not been updated for some time ,they say 12oz fillet £17.45 not so ,inside menu 10 oz £18 plus, very dissapointed

Trevaskis F, Owner at Trevaskis Farm, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks for your feedback; I'm sorry you had such a disappointing evening. The fillet sizes haven't changed - they have always been weighed by our butcher at between 290g and 300g. Apparently sometimes the shape differs between a rump fillet and a sirloin fillet - the rump fillet can appear wider in shape but the sirloin is thicker, so you are getting exactly the same amount of meat for your money. You have highlighted a mistake on the online menu, as well as prices being out of date, in that the fillet is 10oz not 12oz. Our website is in the process of complete overhaul as it is really tricky to content manage; it is now an antiquated platform that was used, even though it was only designed around six years ago! We will be having a website that is much easier to content manage so that we can keep any price changes updated. In response to your comments however, I have also requested that these are updated in the interim on the existing website as they are slightly misleading. You shouldn't have only been given a small bowl of chips, although it is worth mentioning that as well as chips, each table has a bowl of potato gratin and freshly prepared vegetables of the day. We are always happy to serve more chips should customers request them, but this is quite rare - as you can see from other Tripadvior reviews, we are renowned for generous portion sizes - this hasn't change nor will it. I agree your cajun chicken was overpriced by an inexperienced chef - all specials menu pricing now has to be double checked by a manager to see that it is a realistic reflection of the cost of ingredients used. My apologies for your disappointment and thanks for flagging up the discrepancy with the website information.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Sunday dinner disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having attended the food festival and visited the shop on numerous occasions I had high hopes for Sunday dinner during our holidays last year. the amount of food was generous but it was like eating school dinners, everything was soft and overcooked. I would not eat here again but the premises are lovely and the shop is nice too.

• Visited July 2012
Trevaskis F, Owner at Trevaskis Farm, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the premises and Farm Market, but the food is lovely too! I'm not sure that serving you soggy vegetables is the best way to convince you of this - so I'm really sorry and can assure you that is not the accepted standard of food here. The roast meals are usually exceptional; we cook small amounts of vegetables regularly to ensure they are as fresh as possible, using cabbage, swede, cauli that is usually fresh out of the field that morning - that is what we expect. I am sorry that this wasn't the case for your meal. We serve around 500 roast meals on a Sunday, the majority of those to customers who return regularly, some weekly. Please do give us another chance as I think that is testament to the fact that the roast meals are usually very good indeed. Really hope we see you again soon and get the chance to prove ourselves!
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Take away desserts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Great food. Fantastic size desserts, until I wanted to take-away one.
Half the size but the same price as if I was sat in. This is disappointing most restaurants take-away menus are cheaper with the same size portion as in. Perhaps needs a review

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Trevaskis F, Owner at Trevaskis Farm, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. Our policy is to charge the same price either way but the portion size should be exactly the same - I'm sorry I'm not sure what happened there. My apologies for this. Another time, please do say at the time and we'll make sure we rectify that for you. It's very unusual for someone to complain about the portion sizes being too small here, so something was definitely not right!!
“Excellent, fresh produce. Nicely balanced flavours awesome desserts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just arrived back home from a lovely meal at Trevaskis farm. The venue is clean and smart. A selection of huge cakes greet you as you enter the restaurant on your left.

I ordered monkfish and when my meal came I was impressed at the size of the portion, then a further portion of fresh vegetables in chilli and garlic was provided. Complementing the seasoning of the fish and pesto mash perfectly. We bravely ventured up to the desserts, not wanting to miss the visual feast we walked past on the way in. The selection is a vast and varied diabetes inducing dreamland. I had the chocolate mousse as I was too daunted to take on anything heavier after such a hearty main. Delicious!

The freshness of the produce and the quality of the meat is a real treat for diners at Trevaskis. I would rate it as one of the best eating experiences I have had while dining in Cornwall.

The service was ok, they were very busy for a Monday evening, it did take a little while for our plates to be cleared. This however would not put me off going again as the food really was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Trevaskis F, Owner at Trevaskis Farm, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks for writing this review - I'm really glad you had a good evening and you have summed up the ethos of the place exactly! Where we can, we use produce straight off the farm. I'm sorry if slow service marred your experience slightly and I will share this with the front of house team when we next meet. Thanks again for the feedback.