“Nearly great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riviere Sands Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hayle
Riviere Sands Holiday Park
You added Riviere Sands Holiday Park to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Riviere Towans, Hayle TR27 5AX, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Hayle
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Nearly great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Booking the holiday and dealing with reception a REAL pain. Wanted to upgrade as it had been offered, there was always two days before they came back to us. Each time they came back the one wanted had gone, this continued for over a week. In the end told we had been allocated so nothing they could do. Made an official complaint and it was then sorted. Arrived at site and it is a smallish site but very clean and tidy. Location great with one of the best beaches in Cornwall on the doorstep. Food at the Bluff Inn (6 Evening Meals and 3 Breakfasts) all as you would expect - served quickly, hot and of good (not the best) standard for this type of venue. Entertainment was OK, Tom was very good but the three girls that get rolled out every night get a little wearing. All in all for a kiss me quick seaside holiday we were having a good time. Tried to extend the stay again having to deal with reception (they are a nightmare - zero customer service) telephone number taken as the Lady was busy and would get back to us. Three visits to reception and same reply the lady is too busy and would get back to us. On forth visit Bingo they did want our money. WELL worth it in the end charged £270 for 6 nights compared to the £1,300 for the week before and that's for 5 in a two room caravan. Wifi was never available which I assume was done to the happy reception staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Riviere Sands H, Manager at Riviere Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi Tonyjac

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am extremely sorry to hear of your disappointment with the reception team here at Riviere Sands. If you would care to either telephone me on 01736 752132 or email me direct on megan.palmer@bourne-leisure.co.uk and we can discuss this further.

We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of Cornwall. The pictures people take you would think you are anywhere in the world the views are totally breathtaking.

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Hitchin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bed caravan last week and really enjoyed our break. Caravan was spotless. Site amazing- staff so friendly and helpful. Activities varied- we tried archery, fencing, snorkelling, shooting (thanks Chris), and surfing (thanks Jonny), and used the pool. Abbie- activities manager very helpful.
Beach was gorgeous and so close! And quiet...loads of space!
This is apparently a small Haven site so was quiet, no large loud crowds going passed your caravan in the early hours. We regularly used the site shop which had a varied selection but numerous supermarkets within 10/15 mins drive if the Lidl 5 mins a way not got what you want.
Probably the only let down for us personally was the pub- the views from it were amazing....food not, or price. We ate here on our first night.
We visited Penzance, Lands End and Eden project from here amongst others and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in caravan 258 which was equal distance from pool, activities/café and the beach. It was a...
Hi Daisy Chain 12

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback. I have passed on your feedback regarding the accommodation and site team to all the relevant Heads of departments so they can share this success with their team.

I am so pleased to hear that you managed to take advantage of all the sports activities we have on offer here at Riviere Sands. It is brilliant to here such great feedback about this as we have a variety of new activities we introduced this year and with a new manager as well. It is showing she has done a fantastic job.

I am extremely sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the food at the Bluff Inn I have passed these comments on to the restaurant manager as we do appreciate all of our guest’s feedback as this is the only way which we can improve on the service that we offer.

It is brilliant to hear that you managed to go out and see all that Cornwall has to offer whilst hear on holiday with us. Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Riviere Sands in the future.

Yorkshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a smaller Haven site (compared to their Craig Tara site at Ayr, for example) and is a really good place to stay on holiday in Cornwall. It was very easy to find, there are no brown tourist signs or anything but we just followed the website directions (no sat nav) and got there just fine.

Check-in was straightforward and the staff were genuinely friendly. The caravan was easy to find. I was a little worried about what the caravan would be like, having only realised a few days before we were due to go that the 'Standard' grade of caravan (that we'd booked) allows dogs, but it was fine - very clean and not one stray pet hair anywhere! The cooker, microwave and shower were all very clean and in good working order.

The swimming pool is nice, and you can swim between the indoor and outdoor sections. The outdoor part has a slide too. My son tried this, he said it was fun but there was no way I was getting out of the water to freeze to death queuing for the slide! It was a bit on the small side though, we were using it on a dull Sunday afternoon in August and at one point it was closed to any more swimmers as the maximum capacity had been reached (I heard the lifeguard say 72). I think it was only closed for about 15 mins, just until a few people had got out.

We didn't use the cafe, but it was in a good location for those with older children as you could sit and have a drink while they played in the playground - this was right next to the outdoor seating for the cafe. We didn't use the chip shop or the Bluff Inn pub either, or go to the beach (we were only there Fri to Mon, and the only decent day was Saturday when we got the park & ride train to St Ives beach). Our youngest child is 16 months old and we knew there would be problems accessing the beach with a pushchair (after reading other reviews on this site).

We hired a highchair and this was delivered to the caravan clean and in good working order. We took our own travel cot. The Haven website will tell you that the travel cot will only fit in the living room area, but if you book a 12 foot wide (a 'plus') caravan with 2 bedrooms the double bedroom will easily be big enough for the cot. I don't think a cot would fit in the double bedroom of a 3 bedroom caravan because the width of the van is divided between the double and one of the singles so the double bedroom is a lot smaller.

The one downside of this site is that there is no space for outdoor play by your caravan (at least not in the area we were in, which was obviously the cheapest section). There is just space for a car between the vans, they are quite close together. And the layout of the vans is poor too, in the 'cheap' section the caravans are all set out in rows (like terrace houses). You can drive down each row (to park outside your van), so there will potentially be cars going up and down the rows at either end of your caravan - as I was driving up to the caravan a child ran right across in front of me. At other Haven sites we've been to the caravans have been set out more in 'cul-de-sac' type configurations, which was a lot more child-friendly.

I didn't see any of the entertainment - I left my husband to take the two older children to the kids stuff at about 6pm while I put the baby to bed. My 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter seemed to have enjoyed the disco and bingo etc.

Overall we had a good trip and will definitely return to the site next year. However, we only wanted a base for our visit to Cornwall (with the back up of a swimming pool and a bit of kids entertainment in case of bad weather) - we don't really go in for the whole 'Haven' experience and I think if you like their bigger sites where there is more going on then you might find this one a bit quiet.

Finally, Tesco will deliver your shopping to the site. If you do place an order, make sure you write "please deliver to the Haven holiday park" or similar in the delivery instructions box at checkout on the Tesco website. My delivery driver rang to say he'd arrived, but he was at the Rivière Towans chalet site across the road and it took a few phone calls to sort it out!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Riviere Sands H, Manager at Riviere Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi Hippo87

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Riviere Sands. It’s brilliant to hear you found the site with great ease.

We do try our best to make checking in quick and simple for all our guests and are we are glad the way we do things here at Riviere Sands suited your needs. Regarding booking a ‘Standard’ Caravan on other parks it is the grade of accommodation that will allow pets to stay but at Riviere Sands we are a pet free park so this would never be a problem staying with us.

It is really reassuring that you enjoyed the facilities here on the park including the swimming pool, one of the perks is that you do not need to get out the pool to access between the indoor and outdoor pools. Its brilliant to hear that your son had fun on our slide. The pool hitting full capacity is a rare occurrence but in the height of the season it can happen, the reason for this is for yours and other guests safety; so the pool can be observed by the lifeguards to the full content.

Its terrific to hear that you managed to go out and enjoy what Cornwall has to offer on your long weekend here. St Ives really is a lovely place and heading to Lelant to get on the Park and ride train is in my opinion the best option the views are truly stunning heading into St Ives.

Accessing the beach isn’t the easiest on our park as we are based up on the sand dunes. There is easier access if you head down into the town of Hayle which you may have been able to get down with a pushchair.

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding the layout of the caravans. We do mix all of our grades of accommodation together here at Riviere sands so we do not just keep standard in one area and prestige in another, there is a wide variety. I do appreciate your feedback and this is something I will put forward to any future development we may have.

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and a very detailed one as well. I look forward to welcoming you back to Riviere sands very soon

Assistant Holiday Experience Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go to Riviere Sands based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were really looking forward to it.
We paid for a superior 2 bed caravan, beds made up for your arrival. When we arrived the caravan, although quite small was lovely and new, there were no beds made up so we were told to go to housekeeping and get our own
bedding. We were a little disappointed that there was not much outdoor space next to caravan or outdoor furniture supplied. After settling in we kept noticing that ants were getting to the caravan at an alarming rate through the front door and bathroom. We decided to get ant powder to sort out the
problem but they still kept coming in and my 10 year old son was very uncomfortable. We went yo customer service to actually pay for an upgrade but there was nothing available. The lady did try and help and found us a caravan this would mean downgrading! The caravan was older but we just wanted to get away from the ants so we moved in. All I can say is it was a poor caravan and smelt very old and fusty. As the weather got worse the caravan got more and more damp smelling to the point where we just gave up and came home 2 days early. To be fair the customer service given was very good and when we left they called to ask why and they did admit to a problem with ants on the site. Please note that I thought long and hard before writing this review and do not complain for the sake of it.The 2nd caravan we stayed in was substandard and simply not good enough for the money that we paid. We have been on many caravan holidays both here and abroad and the standard of these caravans
was the worst, I feel like I have been conned by Haven.
I am sad to say it is so nice to be back home!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Riviere Sands H, Manager at Riviere Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi Ellen D

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations. I am extremely sorry to hear that your beds were not made up on arrival and I will personally address this with the housekeeping team.
If any of our guests are unhappy with their accommodation we will always do our best to assist them. If it is possible, we may be able to offer you a change of accommodation however this is subject to availability at the time and I can see from the allocations of the dates you were down we were fully booked except from 1 caravan which is the one we moved you across to.

If you would care to email me direct on megan.palmer@bourne-leisure.co.uk and I can look into investigating this further for you.

I hope that this does not deter you from holidaying again with us andI look forward to speaking to you directly in the near future.

Poughill, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

What a fantastic location ! We live in cornwall but had not visited Hayle before we had no idea how stunning the beach was.
The site is lovely , nice and small , swimming pool was lovely , staff were friendly, the Cornish cafe was great and has nice outside seating area which was very nice to sit outside with a nice glass of wine if you just want a nice chill while the kids play !
We had one of the best holidays we have ever had ( and only an hour from home ) we will definitely book again .
Can recommend the park and ride train from lelant saltiings to st Ives scenery was stunning and good value at 2.50 for parking and 8.00 for family train ticket you can hop on and off as often as you want , st Ives is a nightmare to park so much easier and our 9 year old loved the train.

Hi Sara M

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic; it is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments. It is brilliant to hear that you enjoyed the location of the park, I also believe our sea views are some of the best in Cornwall and on a sunny day you could literally be anywhere in the world. I am extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed all the onsite facilities including the swimming pool and our Cornish Coast Cafe we really do appreciate the feedback on this as the Cafe is new to Riviere Sands last year and it seems to be a great success.
I
ts brilliant to hear you had time to go out and see all that Cornwall has to offer including St
Ives. We always recommend the train to people wanting to visit St Ives, it really is a beautiful journey around the coast.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Riviere Sands very soon.

Megan
Essex, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I became so excited during the lead up to this holiday, and was worried I'd set my expectations too high, but I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed! My group had 3 generations of ages, and we all found it to be a lovely little site with quality accommodation, adequate facilities, nice staff and an amazing location.

We'd booked a standard caravan as we didn't plan on spending much time there, but were pleasantly surprised when we entered our almost new, clean, comfortable holiday home. We were located in the centre of the site which was really handy, with only a few minutes' walk to get anywhere.

Facilities on site are small and basic, however perfectly adequate for the size/location of the park. In fact, it was nice not to have tacky commercialism shoved in our faces at every turn, and made for a happier son as he didn't feel he was missing out on anything (and therefore happier parents too!). The entertainment complex was small and intimate, and we always found a good table. In the swimming pool we never struggled to get a locker, changing room or shower, and there is a lovely swim-through feature so you don't have to get out to swap pools. The shop and chippie were also well stocked and queue-less. All this despite it being the school summer holidays, therefore the peak busy period.

Staff on the site were all very friendly. A little niggle is that on check-in I noticed I'd been given a 4-day pass for a 7-day holiday, and the receptionist told me I had to renew this when it expired - not quite sure why I had to go to the trouble of returning and queuing again later in the week, rather than them just giving me the pass I'd paid for in the first place, and found this a bit irritating! Anyway apart from that everyone was lovely! The Fun Star girls were really good - they each have a personal talent of singing/dancing/entertaining, and on top of this they were also excellent hosts. Security staff were personable and friendly. Leisure staff were very helpful, going out of their way to assist. I paid for my son to take a surfing lesson and it was a fantastic experience for him - Johnny was a great teacher, very patient, giving each student the individual treatment they needed, whilst keeping it fun. I'd recommend everyone give it a go - adults and children alike!

So the location. The only way to describe this is 'wow'!! Sea view accommodation is ridiculously expensive, however it doesn't matter if you can't afford this as there's plenty of grass space in front of the premium caravans, allowing you to enjoy the amazing views and even sit and have a picnic if you like! However, my guess is that once you see the beautiful beach you wont want to be on the grass anyway - you'll be sliding down the (very steep) dunes, running your toes through the gorgeous sand and paddling in the crystal-clear sea.

Further afield, we got the bus to St Ives (stunning), drove to Land's End (lovely), Flambards (fun and interesting), and Roskilly's (a bit disappointing). The general location of the park is nice and central, therefore driving to all of these places was a pleasure.

After discussion with my family I've given this holiday a 4/5 (although would have given it 4.5 if Tripadvisor let me!). To get a perfect 5 I'd have wanted better cabaret - the two shows Cinders and Clockwork were very cheesy musicals, and my son (and the whole group) would have found a magic or circus show more interesting and entertaining. And, most importantly, better beach access - PLEASE Haven sort this out!! It wouldn't take much to put in some steps and handrail (blended amongst the grass bank so as not to spoil the beautiful scenery), but this would make a massive difference. It wasn't nice to watch my mum struggle up the steep bank, out of breath and dragging her bag behind her, and this somewhat tainted the end of a wonderful day on the beach.

So, we have had a lovely family holiday at Riviere Sands, finding it to be probably the nicest caravan site we've stayed in, and are considering returning again next year as there's just so much we didn't have time to do!

Hi E B

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments. I am so pleased to hear you and all your family had a fabulous time here at Riviere Sands. It is brilliant to hear you enjoyed the location and standard of your accommodation. As we are a small intimate park where ever you are allocated you are only a short walk from the facilities. For future reference if you would like to be in a similar area again we are very happy to put special requests on bookings although cannot always be guaranteed we will try our best to get you where you would like to be. I am very sorry to hear you weren’t given the correct passes on arrival; I will let the reception team know and get this sorted so this type of thing doesn’t happen again.

It is terrific that you enjoyed all the onsite facilities including the swimming pool and Live Lounge entertainment, regarding the evening shows I will pass this feedback onto the entertainments manager as we do appreciate all feedback and can look into what can change for next year. It is excellent to hear you managed to get out and experience all that Cornwall has to offer including St Ives and Lands End along with visiting Flambards I do hope that you took full advantage of the discount voucher we give to all guests.

I also believe our sea views are some of the best in Cornwall and on a sunny day you could literally be anywhere in the world. Thank you for giving us feedback about the beach access we can put this forward for any future developments we have here on site within the New Year.

I have passed on your comments regarding the team to all the relevant managers so they can share this success with their team personally.

Megan
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is our second UK holiday due to having a baby boy and although only being the second it was the best by miles! Also helped by the fact we (luckily) had the best week of the year so far weather wise. We took our 5 day stay with a deal through The Sun holidays so we had the basic package but this by no means was shown in the standard we received! The site and caravan was very clean, we had a 2 bed and the smaller room had enough room to put up a travel cot once we moved the beds about. The staff were very friendly and helpful upon arrival and throughout our stay. We arrived early and was allowed to put our food in the fridge and was actually allowed in to the caravan earlier than the check in time. The location of the park is perfect with the beach being a few minutes walk away. As we have a 20 month son we didn't take up the evening entertainment but the caravan had plenty of outdoor space and tv/dvd so we had plenty to do in the evening when our son was in bed. I also liked the fact we could park our car next to our caravan. The on site shop had everything we needed. The restaurant isn't on site which isn't a problem as again it is only a few minutes walk away but would have been better if they provided food to takeaway.

The local area is beautiful with Hayle beach being a few minutes walk away and St Ives a short car ride away. However on the first visit we spent ages looking for a car parking space and it isn't cheap. I would recommend getting the park and ride train which for a set amount you can go up and down the line as many times as you like in a day! Very good value for money! Sennen Cove was only a 40 minute drive and probably the most beautiful place I have seen so far in the UK!

Overall a great trip and we are looking forward to going back next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Riviere Sands H, Manager at Riviere Sands Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi Pickle00

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you found this the best holiday you have had so far and yes you were very lucky to have the weather. Maybe you should come back again soon and bring that lovely weather back down with you. :)

It is brilliant to hear that you found all the team you came into contact with more than helpful. I have passed these comments on to all departments so they can share this with their team. It is fantastic to hear that we managed to get you in to your caravan earlier than expected so you could begin to enjoy your holiday.

We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of Cornwall with photos people take you would think we are anywhere in the world. Hopefully when your son is a little older and you choose to return to us you can come and enjoy our evening entertainment next time.

The train ride from Hayle to St Ives is a stunning train ride that goes all along coast and I believe its around £3 and £5 to park your car at the station for the day. As you said St Ives is a nightmare for car parking and not on the cheap side either. St Ives is a definite visit when you come to Cornwall it is a lovely seaside village.

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Riviere Sands next year. We will see you then.

Megan Palmer

Been to Riviere Sands Holiday Park? Share your experiences!