“Mis-sold” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Halzephron Inn

Halzephron Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gunwalloe
Halzephron Inn
You added Halzephron Inn to your Saves list
Gunwalloe TR12 7QB , England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Gunwalloe B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Mis-sold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Well, we got this place from the Good Pub guide so were expecting good things. It was Cornish food pub of the year a few years back and they still advertise this on the MASSIVE sign outside and it seems they are still trading off this. The pub itself is lovely, a proper small, atmospheric Cornish pub with a great selection of ales and especially whiskies. The food was good but I'd encourage them to look to places like The Tinners Arms near St Ives and The Gurnards Head for an example of what people expect from their pub food these days. Anyway, that's not really the point, the point is that the accommodation was like staying with your slightly batty Auntie's house who loves doilies and old, cheap furniture and uncomfortable beds. For the price they charge (£90) I was expecting a lot more. I know some of you will say that you can't expect a modern B&B in the far south or Cornwall and I don't, I do expect a bathroom not all cheap pastel plastic from the 80's and at least some authentic character. I love a nice old room with character but this isn't the place for that. What I'd say is, go and have dinner and have a drink but please don't stay here. I don't want you to waste your money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

This wonderful pub, restaurant, and accommodation can't be faulted. As I a frequent traveller working in architectural heritage in the region I have stayed in many recommended hotels and B&Bs and some of the most interesting buildings in Somerset, Devon, and Cornwall, but this one is in a class of its own. The whole atmosphere is delightfully cosy and relaxed - it is unpretentious and immediately welcoming. The staff are wonderful, the beer comes from the place's own micro-brewery, and the food is simply fantastic - some of the very best I have had the pleasure of eating in the South West. So I had to write a recommendation - I even seriously considered moving to the village to have the Halzephron Inn nearby. I hope my work takes me back there very soon.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

A warm welcome from the staff and informative advice re local area from the owner. Our room was cottage style, spotless and in keeping with the inn itself.
Food was good and again service attentive without being intrusive.
After an excellent breakfast the lady owner showed us some leaflets about the local church at Gunwalloe which we visited that morning.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Halzephron Inn? Share your experiences!