Booked this hotel for two nights via Booking.com and were allocated room 7. This was a reasonably sized room with a full balcony with a superb view up-river. We really took advantage of the balcony with its table and chairs as the weather was hot and sunny. We did get a Wi-Fi signal in this room.
We received a good welcome on arrival and were escorted to our room. All staff were courteous and polite. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was really enjoyable. Prior to the meal, we were shown to the lounge where we could order drinks and view the menu. Once we had ordered, we were given canapés to go with our drinks. Once our meal was ready, we were escorted to the dining room.
The first morning was bright and sunny and tables were laid out on the decking as well as in the dining room – we chose to eat outside and had a most enjoyable breakfast. On the second morning, I did have a problem with my cooked breakfast, which was replaced at my request.
The drive up to the hotel is steep as mentioned in other reviews.
The pool and sauna are at the far end of the car park away from the hotel and accessed by a gated entrance with a coded lock – reception will give you the code. Towels are available on entering the pool area. There are loungers and tables and chairs and an outside deck area for use. Only one changing room with a glass door and no-where to store your clothes.
Because it was warm, we slept with our windows open. At 05:30 on the first we were woken up by the alarms on the level crossing in front of the hotel (the railway runs between the hotel and the river), shortly afterwards a freight train crawled past. Ok, it gave us a chance to see the sunrise. A one-off we thought, but the same thing happened again the next morning at the same time. Since breakfast is served until 10.00, we had the opportunity to lie in. The freight train returns sometime later in the day.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Cormorant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel nestles on the hillside high above the magnificent Fowey River in Cornwall, close to the Eden Project. An independent luxury hotel set in a glorious location, and we pride ourselves on individual attention to all our guests. 14 guest rooms, all en-suite, all with exceptional river views, most with balconies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your The Cormorant Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cormorant On The River Hotel
- The Cormorant Hotel Golant, Cornwall