“Great Food, Fantastic view” 4 of 5 stars

The Cormorant Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Golant PL23 1LL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Golant
essex england
“Great Food, Fantastic view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel we just ate at the restaurant which was excellent. The service is perfect, the view is great and the food is very good. We went as a special treat for my birthday and very glad we did.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked here for a week as I'd decided back in March when the rain was particularly heavy to find a lovely B and B in or around Fowey.I.spotted this and thought ah an indoor pool. Lovely. Very relaxing. Add to that a balcony to enjoy the view and we would both be happy bunnies!
Rather more than we usually pay but I hoped it would be special.
Sorted. I agree with other reviewers that the I:2 approach road and the parking was a bit off putting but we coped.... Well my husband did with instructions of course!
We were shown to our room and it only had a Juliet balcony. My husband did ring down and say we had asked for a balcony but I had not specified a sitting "on" balcony...( mind you I had said my husband was looking forward to sitting on it reading)!! To be fair they would've moved us to one on the Sunday which would be the 4th day of our holiday so we decided not to bother. Bit disappointed but we'd booked for dinner and down we went. This was lovely, superbly presented and delicious.Pricey we felt bet as a one off was worth it.
The waiters were all very attentive and throughout our stay were all very nice. Hannah particularly couldn't have done more to look after us.
My biggest disappointment was the pool. Closed for three days of our stay because of maintenance problems and I can understand it not being manned but it was sad that they couldn't sort it out. Another couple I met there felt as I did as that was what made the hotel special.
The setting was lovely but not 5 star accommodation. The gardens needed a lot of T L C and I agree that the walls were thin and the room we had was adequate but not that great.
The best thing of all was having a beautiful breakfast on the terrace with the estuary laid out below us.

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Have just spent 3 nights at The Cormorant- it was a lovely stay. Comfortable room with balcony &views of Fowey river. Attentive & friendly service & wonderful food. The narrow approach road is a tad exciting but worth it once you arrive !

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been lucky enough to stay on three occasions at this beautifully situated hotel.My husband wanted to book their beautiful Cormorant Room,which has a fabulous view from the bath,overlooking the Fowey.At the time of booking it was already reserved,none the less,we booked a premier room instead.Upon arrival,a lovely surprise was that they had upgraded us to The Cormorant Room for free,as it had become available and they had remembered our original request for this lovely room.All of the staff are extremely polite and professional without being intrusive.The little touches,such as canapés before choosing your meal,in the lounge,along with serving your drinks,is what makes the service and staff just a cut above the other luxury hotels we have stayed at.
We used the fantastic indoor pool they have along with the hot tub,again on our own as not being a huge hotel,chances are,you have to yourselves.
The food is superb,could not fault it.I failed miserably at finishing my meal as I was full by the mains! Would recommend this hotel without reservation.It has charm,fantastic views of the river and watching the to and fro of the boats on the water,whilst sat on a balcony,in the peace and quiet,is a touch of heaven.
The beds are huge and incredibly comfy.The room and bathroom spotless.

Room Tip: Go for The Cormorant or premier if you can but any one of them will not disappoint.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

A bit hard to find, but well worth the effort. We spent three nights in the Cormorant Room, which was an absolute delight, with a fabulous view, its own private balcony, a huge bathroom, and a comfortable bed. The restaurant served a delicious breakfast. We also found the dinners quite good and a welcome retreat after a long day of driving around the Cornwall countryside. The staff were exceptionally nice and helpful.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Cormorant Room and found it to be so delightful that it was worth the extra money...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed for a few nights in March as a brief post-wedding 'mini-moon'.
Golant is a fantastically sited village- a few 'hairy' lanes to negotiate, but well worth the trip.
The Hotel is in a fantastic spot, overlooking the estuary with stunning views from bedroom, restaurant and bar. I did find the rate somewhat high for the bedroom product, but the view counters the higher than expected room rate for the class of hotel.
Breakfast was really good, much better than other Hotels that I have stayed at. Dinner, again, perhaps a tad overpriced, but the service was absolutely perfect, attentive, anticipative and yet not intrusive.
Hotel and grounds spotlessly maintained, adequate parking and total peace and quiet. In general the staff were excellent, although I did feel one team member a little bit on the officious side initially, but during our stay she seemed to 'warm'. Perhaps a bad day...
I would certainly stay again and would recommend...though if it wasn't for the priceless view and location, I may have left feeling a lack of value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Harleston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

You judge a hotel by many things, but I think the first thing most of us look at is the price of the room. Cormorant charge £160 for the cheapest room in the summer months so you would think that this must be a first class 5 star hotel, you would be wrong. This really is only a 3 star with a high price. So what's good and bad.
Good points: Staff are very friendly and are always willing to help. The location for the views is fantastic. The downstairs lounge is very comfortable. The pool & spa were good.Besides these things there was little else that was good. So now the list of bad points: The price, to high for what you get compared to other quality hotels. To get to the hotel you have to drive up a 100yd 1 in 2 hill to the entrance so no good for disabled people to walk. The rooms are not big, and room 9 has a 10inch excuse for a TV on the wall. The showers run hot and cold with poor water pressure. No shaver sockets in some of the rooms. Some rooms do not have a mini bar. The towels were not changed each day even after leaving them on the floor. Mirror was scratched and not really good to get a good look. The walls were very thin and you could hear most things from next door. The decor should be refurbished looking very tired and dirty. The internet was very weak and stopped working.
You can see from the list above that it is not a 5 star hotel so they shouldn't charge the price.
Would I stay here again. No. Would I recommend it no way.
I am sure you can find better in the area for your hard earned cash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Cormorant Hotel? Share your experiences!