I have been coming to Boscastle for a lifetime and to stay and eat at the Riverside Hotel is now a fantastic bonus. It is located at the entrance to the harbour alongside a small river crossed by a little bridge to its own sun terrace for outside eating.
The polite cheerful staff are well trained to look after you and my bags were immediately taken upstairs to a clean cosy top floor single room, with own bathroom and toiletries, packed with mod cons, tea and coffee maker, large flatscreen TV and Wi-Fi.There was a nice view of the wooded valley and I was lulled to sleep by the gurgling stream.
The first evening I tested the fame of the restaurant and was rewarded with one of the best meals I've ever had in Cornwall. There's a good wine list but I had a local Tanners' beer and started with a generous ramekin of slightly spicy mackerel pâté served with a small salad and crisp warm toast - just how this Cornish speciality should be!
Then I followed with one of the "fresh catch" dishes, thick tender fillets of plaice served with a fennel and parsley sauce and side dishes of sauteed and mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and squash.
As I discovered on my first morning, breakfasts here, part of the room price, are a great deal in more ways than one! You can not only choose from a long menu but also select how much you want. Main cooked choices I had during my stay included not only the fully cooked English ensemble but also large servings of kippers and excellent halibut - and then the cereals, toast, fruit juices and so on.
At midday lunch can be a more casual affair and I thoroughly recommend the mixed seafood salad served with half a fresh crusty baguette with crab, shrimp, thick slices of smoked salmon, potato salad, coleslaw, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Goes well with a glass of Doom Bar Cornish Ale (5%) brewed in Rock, just down the coast.
There's a Sunday carvery for lunch, which is very popular, and drinks available from a little bar at most times.
This is a bijou hotel and restaurant offering great value for money, within walking distance of the main sites, shops and pubs in the lovely village of Boscastle.
- Also Known As:
- The Riverside Hotel
- The Riverside Hotel Boscastle
- Riverside Hotel Boscastle
- The Riverside Boscastle, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Riverside is situated in Boscastle, one of the most picturesque parts of North Cornwall. Located in the South West of England, Boscastle and its surrounding area are internationally recognised for their outstanding scenic beauty.Nestled in a secluded valley close to the harbour of Boscastle, The Riverside is open all year round. We have thirteen bedrooms catering for walkers, cyclists, day trippers or holiday breaks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Queensborough Group so you can book your The Riverside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.