“Well worth the long journey to get there” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Attractions in Boscastle
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Harwich, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Well worth the long journey to get there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

It took us six hours in total to get to this museum, and it was worth every penny of diesel spent getting there! I have a curiosity with the history of witchcraft anyway, so I guess my expectations were set quite high to start with. We arrived in Boscastle on a sunny autumn day and found the museum easily. Its within walking distance of the car park in the village and the surrounding shops and tea shops. £4 entry for an adult, I thought was very reasonable. The museum is a fascinating collection of historic and modern day witchcraft and helps to portray the craft in the way it should be, ie its not devil worshipping etc. Whatever religion or belief you hold, I don't think anyone could be offended by this controversial belief in the way it is portrayed in this museum. Its informative and leaves the visitor to believe what they wish. I would also happily take children in there. One more thing to add, its on two levels and they have a stair lift for the elderly folk.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Interesting collection of historical artefacts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We spent a great hour here browsing through the artefacts and learning more about the witches and their history. What makes it even more amazing is that the museum was practically destroyed in the flood and the team managed to save most of the items from destruction. Worth a trip.

Visited August 2011
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Just brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I visited this before the floods a few years ago, and more recently this august. It was interesting the first time, but has improved a lot with the necessary refurbishment. everything was really interesting and theres so much to see and learn about, no matter how long you stay you will feel you have missed something when you leave.
Spent a small fortune in the shop too!

Visited August 2011
Chester, United Kingdom
“A place full of magic and mystery. Friendly, open and welcoming to everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My visit was inspired by a desire to view a mandrake root in 'real life' and this Museum has plenty of them! It was with excitement and anticipation then, that I arrived in the very picturesque village of Boscastle to take a short stroll from the (very busy) car park and down to the Museum of Witchcraft.

We were greeted with a warm welcome and friendly face and a silent spell was cast to encourage me to purchase a guidebook. At £1.50, I'd say this was well worth it and definitely enhanced my visit.

We were then directed through the strangely modern slidy doors and into a corridoor lined with all manner of 'commercial' memorabilia relating to witches and wizards - movie posters, toys, etc. But this was only the beginning...

Once past there, we gazed in wonder at a very cleverly constructed stone circle (I shall give no secrets away here - you must visit!) The Museum is laid out in the way of museums of olde. Cabinets full of curiosities with simple explanations. Thus leaving a element of the visit to the imagination and interpretation of the viewer. I certainly prefer this to the all too familiar text-book style panels you find in a lot of modernised museums. The oak cabinets conjour up images of Victorian collections with herbs, bones, skulls, dolls, sketches and symbols all offering an opportunity for enjoyment and/or discovery.

Not everything will appeal to everyone and some visitors may even leave slightly 'spooked' but the displays are unassuming and factual and if you visit with an open mind, you'll probably happen upon an object, subject or individual you'll feel compelled to find out more about in the future.

I returned to the little gift shop in the museum the next day to pack my bag with a museum of witchcraft tea towel and cloth bag , mandrake card and history book. I'm not usually so suceptible to merchandising but I discovered that the Museum receives no grant funding and wanted to support such a wonderful and well thought out venture. So, to would be visitors - don't resent paying the admission fee - It's going to a worthy cause!

It was a memorable visit and an absolute pleasure to meet the owner and staff. I will certainly return...and recommend to my friends!

London, United Kingdom
“An Intriguing Collection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I am very cynical about this subject but went there with an open mind. It was late in the day and thought I might be too late but I paid my entrance and wandered in. Being so late in the day, there were only two or three others still there. I was overwhelmed by the quantity of exhibits, and the hour I had left before they closed was nowhere near enough to digest everything. There is no attempt to ask you to change or even examine your beliefs. The exhibits are simply there for you to view and maybe think about deeper if you wish. There is a wealth on show here looking at the study and practice of witchcraft throughout history and among many different peoples. I left wishing I had had longer to examine it all in more detail. Next time in Boscastle I shall make a point of revisiting this intriguing collection.