“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 142 Restaurants in Twickenham
Cuisines: Bakery, Pizza, Café
Good for: Families with children
Description: Alongside our Bakery we now have our Refettorio ( Italian for Refectory a dining room). Latin: Refectorium which means a place one goes to be restored! It offers a relaxed environment with a shared seating arrangement which encourages conversation and a sense of community. The idea of which comes from Italian food and wine festivals. Our interior is rustic/industrial. Our menu is best described as simple: 5 pizzas and 1 speciality, approved by Slow Food London Association, long fermentation sourdough bases and delicious quality fresh ingredients all made with organic flours.
Twickenham
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We were looking forward to our night at Rubens. Despite having pre booked we were seated at the back by the toilet. That's ok I thought. The pizza will more than compensate for being seated in an area in the throes of refurbishment.
Sadly not the case. My son ordered the " special " it had broccoli and Italian sausage as part of the topping and was so wet the entire pizza had disintegrated so that only the crust remained!
Two of us had the margherita which was also very wet and completely tasteless. To make up for my son having had not very much to eat, we ordered two slices of chocolate cake which was so dry it was virtually inedible.
Service was only just acceptable. Perhaps we were unlucky on the night but as they only serve pizza its not unreasonable to expect it to be good!
I don't think we will be back to Rubens. We had to convince my sons friend that it would be better than Dominos and now I'm not so sure......

Visited February 2014
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Our genuine thanks for your comments. They have been very helpful. Obviously we do not ever want to read a review like that but I will explain why we are so grateful in a moment. Firstly I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. To begin with the dessert - it was awful and it was thrown after it was tasted by a member of staff but sadly after you had the misfortune. Our usual cake lady (me) was on holiday and our bakers took over. They make delicious crostata but on this occasion tried a new recipe and didn't taste it. Apologies. Now to the pizza and why we are grateful. I will try to keep it brief. We used to use one type of fior di latte mozzarella of excellent quality but recently changed to one that our supplier suggested and we felt was even better, even creamier. After reading your review we cooked and tried a variety of pizzas and have discovered that as you found it is too wet (particularly on white pizza where there is no tomato layer separating the dough) and the base either becomes too soggy or disintergrates. So we will immediately temporarily go back to the other mozzarella while we work out or sourdough base that can take the wetness of our preferred. I don't want to get too technical but the difficulty in part is due to the temperature of our woodfired oven. So thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to make this up to you,please please get in touch under your original booking name. Don't be shy.

london
“Very poor value - very disappointing - guests even commented how poor it was.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Based on my recent experience of lovely pizza here a few weeks ago, I organised lots of pizza for visiting relatives. It was extremely disappointing. The pizza (although I live about 50 yards away and went straight home). was really cold, the wrong order was issued, and none of the pizza really tasted of anything. It was just very poor. I had ordered it to cater for family on a special occasion and it was just a very damp squib. Even the guests commented that it was really not good. At nearly £10 per pizza, this really wasn't good enough. The staff were not responsive in sorting the matter out either. Sorry Ruben, I won't be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
We are very sad to read your review. I understand that you received a refund for the pizza you returned. I am so sorry that you clearly feel that you were treated unfairly. Perhaps you would be kind enough to come in and speak to myself or my husband Igor when you are next passing. We would like to understand more about what went wrong on this occasion. I feel sure that had you returned all your pizza as soon as you realised it was incorrect, our waiter and chef would have been happy to offer a prompt replacement. Please do not hesitate to come in and talk to us so that we can resolve the issue for you. Our apologies for now. We take great pride in the quality of our pizza and believe that the price is most reasonable for the quality of fresh ingredients from our italian suppliers and organic flours from shipton mill. Our sourdough base has a 48 hour fermentation and develops it's flavour without the excessive use of salt. We do not use preservatives and we are used mostly to praise for our authentic taste. Many thanks
Middlesex
“Italy comes to Twickenham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I love this place! You can get some of the best pizzas this side of the Channel here. The selection may be small but that does not matter when they are so good. The welcome is warm and the atmosphere is informal. You bring your own wine but you can drink a really good coffee and add in whatever dessert happens to be on offer. Dont forget to buy some bread on the way out - its not cheap but it baked on the premises and worth the price.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thanks for your review it means a lot to us. We are glad you like the pizza and the bread. All the bread, pizza and pastries are made on the premises in the very limited space we have. The desserts are always a random selection of whatever I feel like cooking at home or at the shop that day. Most people seem to like the surprise and forgive us if we don't always have their favourite. There is usually a tiramisu of course!
Leigh, United Kingdom
“Really nice friendly place with homemade pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I called in here as lone diner a few weeks ago. I was served by a really nice lady from Milano and although her English wasn't great, she made me feel very welcome. Pizza isn't my favourite meal but I have to say I was impressed with the pizza and the atmosphere in the place. It really is family friendly and as it is a BYO you can really save on the wine. The owner was serving that evening and I had a long chat with him asking him if he was thinking of running bread making courses, something he will be considering in the future and I will definitely be looking to attend. Next time I am down on business, I will be calling in.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Went to Ruben's on a whim one Friday evening and was immediately impressed. The place is really quirky inside, with plywood walls dividing the room and a mixture of shared and individual tables.

We ordered a bruschetta and three pizzas to share between three. The food was amazing, ingredients couldn't have been fresher and the staff were incredibly friendly, making suggestions on pizza choices as well as portion requirements. The restaurant is also bring your own which means they can really focus on the quality of the food, which is superb.

The thing that really impressed me about this restaurant was the attitude of the staff. We stayed quite late and they began clearing up ready to carry on with the important process of making bread. At no point were we rushed or made to feel like we should leave and the owner even took the time to sit with us and chat about the restaurant.

I would thoroughly recommend Ruben's to anyone visiting Twickenham or looking for somewhere special in South West London.

• Visited January 2014