“Great stay, great staff, breakfast much improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Alexander Pope

You added The Alexander Pope to your Saves list
The Alexander Pope
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Cross Deep, Twickenham TW1 4RB, England (Formerly Popes Grotto)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Twickenham B&B and Inns
Crook, United Kingdom
“Great stay, great staff, breakfast much improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have stayed here several times for various rugby matches - we were in room 107 which was the first ground floor room after Reception and I must say I had reservations about the noise factor from the main entrance and bar area - but we were not disturbed at all. Although the room and bathroom need a little decoration they were clean and tidy, and the bath towels were huge! Breakfast was much improved, prior stays offered a buffet breakfast but the hot dishes tended not to be replenished quickly, now you can help yourself to cereals, juices, etc., and order your hot breakfast - quality of the breakfast was excellent, as were all the staff - thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good room, well appointed , but the heating was poor and unreliable so it ruined the experience.
Food was excellent as were the waiting staff both at dinner and breakfast. Rooms are slightly noisy being next to a busy road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed in room 209 at this hotel for one night to attend an iternational rugby match. The staff were extremely helpful, the room was large & airey with clean bedding & towels, tea/coffe making facilities & a flat screen TV. We ate dinner & breakfast there which was slightly spoilt by the fact that the complete menu was unavailable because it was an international rugby weekend.(I couldn't quite understand that excuse as the fixture had been arranged & advertised 9 months before!)
On the minus side the underground car parking was full, there was a blocked/unclean drain smell in the en suite bath/shower room, the view from the room was an enclosed court yard & there was unpainted filler on the walls where repairs had been carried out.Room 209 is on the first floor nearest the lift which kept me awake until the early hours.

Overall we had a pleasant stay & would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a good view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lytham St Annes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our first stay. We booked only a couple of weeks before and the booking clerk was lovely. We asked for a family room to suit a family of four; me, hubby, teenage daughter and daughter of 11 years. My two girls hate sharing a bed so, aside from the two large doubles, the hotel put in an extra single for my 11 year old. The room was spacious, had two tv's and everyone was happy in their respective beds. If you want a family room for four of you, ask for room 204 on the first floor (yes the first floor). Thanks to all the friendly breakfast staff and bar staff too for making our stay so comfortable - we'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Room 204 is large enough for a family of four.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alexanderpope H, Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay . We all hope to see you at the hotel again soon.
Cascais, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Mixed feeling about this hotel.
All over it was pleasant. (For us the location was primary: close to friends in Twickenham and a few bus-stops to Richmond).
Our room was nice, clean and big. Well stocked tea-tray. Clean bathroom.
Bed not very comfy.
The entrance hall of the hotel looked rather shabby with crumbs all over the carpet. Also the reception desk could do with an improvement. (management: please replace this worn-out desk-chair the receptionist have to sit on!). We did not have dinner in the hotel, but the restaurant and conservatory looked inviting and cosy. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: We had a nice corner room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience following you recent stay. I'm pleased that overall you had a nice time and I will most certainly look into those aspects that you mention including the receptionists chair... I do hope that we can welcome you to hotel again soon
Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed here loads of times over the years. It's primary plus for me is the location, just a mile or so from where I need to visit from time to time.

Over this time, I have noticed an improvement in the decor of some of the rooms, but I understand some of the standard (Classic) rooms are still in need of the makeover. The Superior rooms are OK to be fair, but my observations from my two recent stays are not too clever. The beds are not comfortable and unless you have a balcony / window to open, you'll be slow cooked to within an inch of your life overnight. Bizarrely, the basins all have an unpleasant smell coming from them, which, when brushing your teeth can make the experience on you won't be looking forward to repeat!

On a positive note, the bar area is large and comfortable. The staff are great, especially the ones who stay up late and interact with the guests - you know who you are! The food's good too, and judging by the numbers that frequent the dining room, I'm not alone in this thought.

I'll be happy to return, as I have done many times before, but I just adapt my expectations so I'm not too unhappy. WiFi is free and very good - first class!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Alexanderpope H, Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following your recent visit. I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but naturally I was sorry to learn of the areas that you found to be lacking. Our bedrooms have undergone some upgrading over the last three years and a programme of regular and planned maintenance is in place to ensure that they are cared for. I was very sorry then to hear that you had issues with the air conditioning and that you experienced some unpleasent odour from the wash basin. I would very much like to deal with this so perhaps you could let me know the details of your recent stay .I'd also then take a look at the beds so as to establish the cause any possible discomfort. Once again, many thanks for taking the time to let me know of your experience and I hope that I can look forward to meeting you upon your next visit.
with kind regards,
Richard Cross
Manager
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for one night .before going to a christening next day. We could not of wished for better service .the staff at reception were very pleasant We had a meal in the evening and it was first class as we're the staff. The morning breakfast was just as good we would recommend it to anyone. Thanks to all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Alexanderpope H, Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay with us and I am delighted that you had a great time. Come back soon!
Regards
Richard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Twickenham Marriott Hotel
The Lensbury
The Lensbury
#2 of 3 in Teddington
4.0 of 5 stars 269 reviews

Been to The Alexander Pope? Share your experiences!