“Fantastic stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Twickenham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fantastic stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed with the Marriott Twickenham for the Chime For Changw concert and I'm very pleased. Staff friendly and professional. The girl in reception with the chubby cheeks, the friendly smile, the bubbly personality was very helpful. The rooms are big and spacey. Would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our corporate travel agency and consultant advised this hotel since it was the most convenient for my meetings in London this time.

Based on that - you know how corporate travel can be - my expectations were low.

Being spoiled by far too many 5 star hotels it was not a surprise that check in was slow and nobody to help with bags. Best I can say it was very business like.

Planning a quick side trip into the city upon check in, the reception organised a reasonable and professional mini-cab service which is appreciated.

The room was to be expected - efficient and clean with no real complaints.

Ordering room service twice due to late arrival back to the hotel from meetings was a disappointment. Just the very basic hotel grub. Steer clear of the sticky date pudding which was obviously microwaved by the “chef” and might have been several days if not months old. The “butterscotch sauce” was split and very questionable if it was something the kitchen should send our or not. Being far too tired to get into the whole complaint process I didn’t say anything at the time so to be fair the hotel would not have known this issue.

Breakfast on level 2 was below par. Day one I was seated by the host on an occupied table and so I self relocated. Luckily this was noticed and I still got my coffee. After a strong fight to get a decent bowl of cereal (more on this later) I proceeded for cooked portion and disappointment increased. I looked around and there is maybe 20 people having breakfast, all like me, suited up for their business day, hardly a big crowd, why then could I not get anything hot I wanted? I saw on day two the poor staff trying to restock the buffet with servings sizes for two each time. Better coordination between the back office to inform the kitchen ahead of time of how many inhouse guests their are I think is needed. Or at least tell the head of F&B not to be so stingy. My day two breakfast as you can already guess was the same.

It’s always the small things when it comes to decision on a hotel, and this time it is very small thing. If management reads this review - please - for all your guests sake - go to the breakfast buffet and try to get some cereal into your bowl. The design on the glass containers looks great but the scoop size will ensure you spending 5min to get a decent size into your bowl. When your jet lagged and in a hurry to be ready for the day this is not what you want to deal with.

As I said, being very placid and tired I never raised these concerns at the time so slightly unfair to publish them publicly.

Check out was efficient and friendly, all the other things like dry cleaning my suit were handled well.

All in all, a very efficient and pleasant business hotel stay. Nothing glamorous and nothing particularly bad.

All I could suggest to the management is revisit with the F&B managers how Breakfast service on Level 2 is done. Come one day as a “guest” to breakfast and see the minor but annoying issues are present. Fix those and revisit the room service offerings and you might just have a business traveler winner on your hands.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed in May, good points are its location if going to an event at the adjoining Twickenham stadium.

Our room was very noisy from an ice machine located in a room behind our bed, sorted after a while by turning off machine.

My feeling is that the hotel was rather amateurishly run, as if it had just opened (which was not the case). We stayed after a rugby match, as the hotel quietened down after the event, although there was adequate staff, the service became very lackluster. At breakfast the next morning we were asked incessantly if everything was OK and were subjected to noisy music.

The hotel is not cheap, so charging £15 a day for use of the internet in the room is unacceptable, internet is available free in the bar but this can be very busy when there is an event at the stadium, I have recently stayed at several B&Bs, all have provided free internet.

Charging £35 for a bottle of Villa Maria when it is often on offer at Waitrose for £6 is foolish, I know that I have to pay to drink at a luxury hotel but be sensible, don’t sell what is commonly available at supermarkets at 1/6 the price.

Tips, if you haven’t booked bed and breakfast and don’t want to pay £17 for the buffet, try The Scrummery, just round the corner.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not near the ice making machine, this is not immediately apparent when you ge...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Very disappointing stay whilst attending the Chimes for Change concert at Twickenham, started badly and never improved.

Was travelling with 16-year-old daughter and had booked as "1 adult & 1 child", during booking process only option for bedroom configuration was "king or two doubles" which I duly booked, upon arrival we were allocated a king bed. I explained to the check-in agent that this was not ideal and could he organise us a room with 2 beds, he could not. I asked for a suite upgrade which they had available but for a £50.00 a night charge. Given I'd already spent £1000.00 on a room for 3 nights, and the error wasn't mines, I asked for a duty manger.

Duty manager could not have been less helpful, insistent that it was my fault for not 'requesting' two doubles instead of simply fixing the issue. It got to the stage of my getting a refund before I relented and opted for a roll-away bed.

Rooms are decidedly average, in fact ours wasn't particularly clean, wifi is £15.00 for 24 hours, a pint and a diet coke is £7.20 in the bar, oh - the curtains don't block out the sun meaning an early wake up each morning.

It is very clear they will get their trade from Twickenham, their complaint handling is dismal and the hotel can't get the fundamentals right, I won't be back and would advise others against paying such a high premium when a dismal service is delivered. I could have spent a little more and been at one of London's premier hotels and got the train from Vauxhall to Twickenham, total journey time from the gates of Twickenham to central London less than half an hour. It would have been so much a better weekend having not chosen the Marriott.

Room Tip: Stay in central London.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Family of 4 including 2 teen boys. This hotel was great. Beds were comfortable
hotel clean with amenities. Health club next door. Nice size room with modern decor. This hotel was about a 10 minute walk to Train station and 20 minutes into the city to Waterloo. Front desk
staff were very helpful and professional..Only downside was restaurant was not to good for
breakfast. However I still enjoyed my stay and the boys really liked it as well. I would return to
this Hotel. If you have time walk beyond the station into Twickenam, some nice restaurants and
shops as well.

Room Tip: If possible get a room with view of stadium. Rugby museum on property.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott as part of a long weekend of drinking. Great base for watching the rugby but hotel bar very pricey. Much better drinking options in town. They forgot to set our room up properly as we wanted 3 to a room and didn't want to share beds but they set up a cot bed when requested - not as comfortable as our beds but I wasn't the one in it ;o)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Once again it was a pleasure to stay at this hotel. The room had a queen bed which was huge. The room was at the end of a very long corridor but thats the nature of the building as its part of the stadium. Room service food was very good and the breakfast was even better. One down side was that reception only swiped my credit card to pay for the bill and they didnt have the foresight to think I may order room service or want to use my room card for drinks at the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Twickenham Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!