“Not ideal for a family leisure stay, pool limited to one hour” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Twickenham
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not ideal for a family leisure stay, pool limited to one hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed at many other Marriotts where the leisure facilities are far better geared to a family so if that is importatnt, use another hotel. Here, there are just 2 one-hour slots per day when children under 16 can use the pool, one had already finished for the day when we checked in at 4pm so we couldn't go straight into the pool as planned and the other was next morning 11-12 when check-out is 12 pm so was rushed and not everyone was able to make it.

We booked 2 rooms and they were very clean and comfortable, the beds and pillows were especially good. It would be nice to be able to park nearer the hotel entrance but you cannot blame Marriot for the design of the otherwise impressive Twickenham stadium. Concierge Helen was kind enough to show us the 6th flor suites with a pitch view.

Room Tip: If you want to take your kids to the pool, stay in nearby Heathrow at the Marriott, Novotel or Crown...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here one night on business. I would say it is only an average hotel, especially for the price you are paying. Admittedly it would be very handy for the rugby stadium.
The service was not great. Poor English at reception, surly bar staff ithe upstairs bar and it took 30 minutes to get a cup of tea!
The room was clean, large and the bed was comfortable. Bathroom shower good and plenty of toiletteries.
However, there was a function on in the stadium and it was very noisy in my room until late. Unfortunately they were full, so I had to pit up with it, although they did deliver me 1/2 bottle of wine as an apologise, which was a nice gesture
Breakfast was above average buffet
This hotel was ok but I am sure there are friendlier hotels in the area with a lower price tag

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very similar to GuyJersey's experience. This is the fourth year we have stayed at the Marriott for the Harlequins big game over Christmas and the experience has varied. The rooms are clean and spacious and the beds very comfortable but they let themselves down big in the restaurant. As there was a rugby match on, we were restricted to a buffet in the evening and the choice was terrible - fatty chicken and stringy beef casserole amongst other unappetising treats. They didn't replenish the cold meats until you asked them too and when they did it took them about ten minutes and the meat was tasteless. It was if someone had just nipped down to the local convenience store and picked up a packet of 'value' salami. The restaurant wasn't busy (now I know why) but the staff ignored us and didn't take our drinks order or clear away our dishes and were focussed on setting up for breakfast so we had the constant clink of coffee cups and cutlery being placed on tables. When a trolley was wheeled through the middle of the restaurant which made enough noise to wake the dead, I finally complained (and I am not one to complain). Took a while for the duty manager to appear but when she did, she listened to our complaints and apologised. To be fair, I don't think it was the staff's fault, I just don't think they had been trained properly. At breakfast the next day, the restaurant was packed but I could have been staying in a different hotel! The breakfast buffet was superb with everything perfectly cooked and it was arguably one of the best breakfast's I've had in a hotel. The staff were very attentive - what a difference 12 hours makes and, no doubt, a polite complaint. I know it's difficult to cater on a match day but they've done it better in previous years. We'll stay here again next year but will eat out in the evening.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We ate in the restaurant the night before an international rugby match. We didn’t stay at the hotel. This review is about the restaurant.

THE GOOD
Great location in Twickenham Stadium.

THE BAD
There were only 3 tables occupied so they weren’t exactly busy. But the service was really painfully slow and the staff were unfriendly to the point of rudeness. The standard of English was very poor and we had difficulty making ourselves understood. The choice on the menu was very limited and not very impressive. The portions were small and the food was lacklustre and nothing at all special.

THE UGLY
Starters were around £10 and main courses over £20-30. It was very overpriced for what it was. At least 30-50% more than I would normally expect to pay for that standard of food.

THE VERDICT
Service slow and surly, food unimpressive and overpriced. We wouldn’t eat there again.

Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Let me start by saying the staff is top notch! Numerous staff members went out of their way to help us make the best of our stay. Giving personal recommendations for good eats, shopping, and good conversation. The rooms are clean and highly modern, which made me feel like a jet-setter! The morning breakfast buffet had a traditional English breakfast, which the eggs & sausage were divine! The buffet had everything from oatmeal with all the fixings to thickly sliced bacon and creamy scrambled eggs. There is a bus stop right out front the hotel, which we caught every morning to take us to the train station and then on to the subway. This hotel was about 15-20 mins. away from some great sights in London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed there with my son for the England v South Africa game. Location is of course perfect for matches or concerts at Twickenham, as it's generally a nightmare getting away from matches with long queues at the station and 80,000 odd people all looking to get home. I thought the hotel managed the balance between residents and supporters coming into the bar to drink and meet up well and the residents only areas were good. Starting with the good points, the room (a standard double/ twin) was modern and spacious enough and the bathroom pretty good. The bed however was one of the best I've slept in anywhere. Really, really good quality linen, under mattress, quality pillows and a decent size. Excellent.

Now for the not so great points; they charge for Internet which is unacceptable in my view in such a hotel £240 for the night exclusive of breakfast. No mini bar - there was a fridge but it wasn't stocked. On match days they restrict the bar /room service menu but then hike up all the prices!! We had room service for lunch (quick response time) . Asked at reception at 2pm on way out for plates etc to be cleared, 4 hours later on our return they were still there. No turn down service so the teas and coffee we had in our room at lunch time were not replenished in the evening. Food (room service and the first floor bar) was ok, nothing exceptional and a fairly basic offering. If weather dry, you're probably better off walking into Twickenham (10 - 15 minutes) to a restaurant.

There's a decent fitness centre next door with a pool which I understand is free for guests.

It was surprisingly unrefined around the edges but the room and location probably made up for that if you are simply there for a match or concert and I would stay there again but with expectations adjusted.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in the 40's (ie 240) can be quite a corridor hike from the lifts
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I haven't been here for a while, but in the area more frequently now, and booked in.

The hotel is clean and modern, part of the famous Rugby ground about 10 minutes walk from Twickenham station where you can pick up a train into central London (Waterloo) every 10 minutes.

Check in experience was welcoming and efficient - I received an upgrade and as well as the extra comforts, some fresh fruit and water was waiting for me - nice touch.

I've stayed in both standard and superior rooms here in the past, they are all clean, modern and the first thing you will notice is the size of the rooms. This is a large hotel, and the rooms are much bigger than most of the hotels I've stayed in over the years.

The bar on the ground floor is large with two of the biggest plasma TVs I've ever seen, so if your a sports fan it's a great place to unwind and watch a game.

On the first floor there is another smaller bar and large restaurant - many thanks to Agnes for a warm welcome and great service.

All in all I was impressed, the staff were friendly and looked after me, the rooms are great and the location good. I'm going to make this my regular hotel from now on !

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Twickenham Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!