“The last straw - my final visit” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
London
“The last straw - my final visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have been a regular diner at Imperial China for a number of years but enough is enough.

The service has always been terrible as many previous reviews have pointed out. I kind of expect bad service in chinese restaurants, it seems they all study Oriental Indifference at the same school of How To Be a Really Bad Waiter but the Imperial China plumbs new depths. On my most most recent visit I arrived and as nobody asked to take my coat, I started to hang it up in the closet that I know is used to hang coats. Immediately the waiter rushes over and berates me for hanging up my coat without his permission. He points out that I need to ASK before I use the closet and am not allowed to hang up my own coat. I stifled the obvious "well if it was that important why didnt you volunteer to do it" and sat down.

All goes well, food good, usual grumpy service from the male waiters and then time comes to pay. I put the card down but am informed that card machine does not get a good signal so could we pay in cash. Now I had visited 2 months previous to this and been fed the exact same line. This situation with the card machine is plainly fiction, if basement restaurants can manage to use card terminals then why can't Imperial China? Well I think we can all guess the answer cant we? Cash payment is very convenient and avoids large amounts of income going through your business bank account, and I am pretty sure that we all understand the advantage of that.

Dunno about all the rest of you but I find this kind of blatent con no longer an acceptable way to do business. If every business took this approach the country would fall apart rather like Greece did.

So enough is enough. I will not be going back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“brilliant and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

when to the restaurant 2 weeks ago and the food was excellent. the restaurant was packed with people and it has a party room which has karaoke facilities.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Overcharged”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I went to the restaurant this evening and ordered a modest takeaway. I was surprised at how expensive it was. When I checked the prices again from the take away menu in the restaurant I saw that the total was incorrect. I was told by the waiter that the prices had been changed but the menus had not been reprinted. Surely this is not legal? Shame, as the food is good and this is my local restaurant. I won't be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Abysmal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Imperial China one before this visit and the food was great at that visit. I was so excited to take my Dad there but the minute we went inside, the waiter said "go there" and pointed to a table. So we sat and waited. He then came and said "do you know what you want?". He didnt give us a menu!! He then raised his voice to ask if we knew again and at this point I confronted the waiter. The rudest service I have EVER received. We left as it was so humiliating. I mean I know we are Indian but we are not deaf and I certainly understand English. There was NO apology. Completely put a downer on our evening!

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, overall good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Been here twice, once in the weekend and another time in the evening. Food in this restaurant was excellent! More authentic than those I had in Hong Kong! Service was okish the first time (probably because it was Sunday morning and the restaurant was really packed with people), got better the second time. Some staff are quite friendly and responsible. I would recommend the dimsum, baby squid and crispy chilli beef! Would come back again :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere