“They love you to have a great evening....” 5 of 5 stars

02089772239
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Retro Bistrot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 54 Restaurants in Teddington
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: One of South West London’s premier restaurants, the popular Retro Bistrot serves excellent French-style food in relaxed and stylish surroundings. Winner of the Good Food Guide London Restaurant of the Year 2012, and proud owner of two AA Red Rosettes, the Retro manages to deliver a sense of luxury in both food and ambiance at very affordable prices. Stylish but down-to-earth diners are welcome to enjoy the full menu or simply pop in for a snack and a drink. Key to its success is the blend of great food with a unique brand of personal service. Led by the inimitable and flamboyant Maitre D’, Frenchman Vincent Gerbeau, the team provide charming, attentive but discreet service. Head chef Michale (Mikey) Collins, who previously worked with Gordon Ramsay, works with the very best ingredients to create French food with a modern European twist. They are undoubtedly a winning combination.Every last Tuesday of the month sees their regular Jazz Night featuring a range of top jazz artists. A special snack menu alongside the usual a la carte and set menus accompanies jazz nights so there’s something for everyone.
windsor
“They love you to have a great evening....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

...that should be quite normal, but is actually quite rare. It all seamlessly fits together here, and you leave feeling they really cared, lovely food, wine and service
Open one in Windsor please....:)

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A lovely local Bistrot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I went to Retro today with my elderly Grandmother. The decor of the restaurant is lovely; think the decor of Cote with the addition of local art pieces. It gives the vibe of a locally run restaurant in a quite soulless high street.

My Grandmother had the soup starter which she said was lovely, my asparagus was beautifully presented. The asparagus was slightly cold and the parmesan's zing didnt really come through in the foam so overall a disappointment. I would try the pate next time round.

The main was a greater triumph. Thick french frites were quite unusual for a french bistro but had a great crisp and were delicious. Maybe it could be clearer that they were thick cut. The broth in the lamb was tasty (needed a spoon to lap it up) and the meat was slow roasted and fell apart. As lamb should. The dessert of tarte tatin was beautiful. Flaky, croissant like base with one poached apple. Maybe could have done with more but that is a small criticism!

The best thing about the experience was the service and attention to detail. Constantly replenished fresh bread, water and a lovely free canape. The wine is relatively expensive but offset by the food.

Overall a very good local bistrot with fantastic staff. The food came to £13.95 for a set menu of three courses which is fantastic value for money (as long as you dont drink). Neglect the chains and come to Retro. For the same price as Nando's or Pizza Express it is an absolute triumph.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Excellent food for Teddington but look after your staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The food was absolutely lovely. I took my elderly mother out for lunch and would say it was the best food i've eaten in Teddington. Teddington has a wealth of eateries, few of which are anything to write home about.

My one gripe: the waiting staff were so friendly, efficient, attentive and helpful - especially towards my mother - and I was therefore disappointed that the service charge was included in our bill - which I find confusing and dishonest - depriving waiting staff of tips - an indication of the owner's lack of appreciation and respect for their staff.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
VincentGerbeau, Owner at Retro Bistrot, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Many thanks for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you and your mother here. Although I am the owner I also employ myself as maitre d' and attended your table personally along with my fantastic team. Please be assured we look after our staff very well, they are a happy bunch and those that have worked for us in the past have even returned after gaining experience elsewhere. We are a small independent business; it is very definitely team work and they reap the benefits along with us.

Do hope we see you both again soon.
Vincent
London
“Wonderful food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We dined here with our ten year old son on a busy Friday evening, and found the food and service to be exceptional. The set menu offers good value for money and both my wife and I enjoyed the carafes of wine. What sets this place apart is the friendly, attentive and unique service...truly superb, we will be back regularly now!

VincentGerbeau, Owner at Retro Bistrot, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you and your family. Hope to see you again sometime.

Vincent
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Spend some time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were planning only to have dinner here and then move along to somewhere else for some music. We arrived at opening time and left at closing time. What more can I say. The service, food, ambiance were top notch. I dont want to go into details what we ate and drank, but the food was exceptional. Vincent Gerbeau, Maitre d’, was the perfect host and served us for most of the evening.
We will be back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you, Traveller. You are always welcome to spend as much time as you like with us!