“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Shepperton
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great pool, some lovely staff, reasonable breakfasts. Let down by the air conditioning, bath and some of the evening meals. Fish and chips were just right, steak and risotto poor. The room had an interconnecting door which, although locked, made the soundproofing between rooms inadequate. It was a very relaxing stay, and I'd stay again, but not dine there. No free wifi also disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us despite a few minor issues. I have taken on board your points regarding food quality with our chef and I have asked him to investigate and ensure that we remain consistent with our food standards. Your other comments have been noted for further consideration and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Edgmond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Well cannot believe I am writing this within a few hours of being in the hotel. Well on arrival, checked in, asked about the complimentary upgrade for platinum ambassador status. Receptionist said that executive room could not fit the extra beds in easily. When I asked about a suite, she said "that will cost £50 more". Sook, I booked for four, however took the original room. Room is very tired, bath has been re-done and looks really awful, toilet seat needs replacing and it wobbles. Hairs found around bath and sink area. Yet again, only two cups for four people. No water, I. The room. Priority club ambassador normally means something, but it appears here that there are no extra benefits. When a hotel, is by no means full, an upgrade should not need to cost. Tidy, clean rooms would be nice. More to follow no doubt, swimming pool and gym tommorow.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay.

I’m sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and found your room unsatisfactory. We are currently addressing the issues you have mentioned and we have completed an upgrade in several of the bathrooms in the Hotel. Your comments about the cleanliness I have discussed at length with our Housekeeping Manager and she wishes to be associated with my apologies. I am sorry to read that you found your platinum status to mean nothing – we take great pride in our Priority Club and this situation will be looked into further.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I have been few times on this hotel and this is the first time that I have to do a negative comment : in so cold period the air conditionated only makes notice. I was frozen in the bar and then rooms. It's not acceptable today. And the wifi system should be free.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Pepe P,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
North West
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you like your hotel rooms warm, modern and clean, then dont stop here. The room was so cold, at 11pm I could not sleep because of it. The manual heater in the room sounds like a hairdryer and was making no difference to the temperature,
the hotel rooms are dated, the bathromm was a little grubby, and of couse was as cold as ice in the morning, which made the shower turn into a sauna.
I wish I had looked at the previous reviews before I stayed, heating is a recurring problem which never gets addressed apart from a standard response reply from the manager.
As a regular guest at Holiday Inn, this has been the worse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Holiday Inn Shepperton.

I’m extremely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us for a number of reasons. Your comments concerning the bathroom will be addressed immediately as this is not acceptable in the slightest. I have shared your comments with our housekeeper and she would like to be associated with my apology. We have had our engineers in to investigate the problem and they have not rectified the fault and we believe they have solved the issue.

Luxulyan, Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked an executive room and were quite disappointed. the room was small and looked a bit tired. The bed was uncomfortable and dipped in the middle, it gave me a backache.
There was only one bathrobe in the room and although I reported it, another one was not forthcoming. there was no sign of the promise mineral water. No free wi-fi either.
The good point was that the staff were charming and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed with your executive room and your experience with Holiday Inn Shepperton. Your comments concerning the bathrobes and mineral water have been noted for further consideration as these items should have been provided to accommodate the number of people per room. I have shared your comments with our housekeeper and she would like to be associated with my apology. I hope this stay hasn’t marred your opinion of our hotel entirely and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend like to visit thorpe park a couple times a year and in doing so we like to make it last and stay the night in a hotel so we dont have a long drive back home after our day at the park.
We chose this hotel through the play and stay website as it looked like the best choice and best value for money and it most certainly was!
Even though the hotel is slightly out of the way being down a county road its a positive as its a very peaceful and quiet location. The rooms were fairly spacious with good facilities in them, they were very clean and well decorated. The facilities at the hotel were very good with staff being friendly and helpful towards us. Even though we didn't get to use the pool facilities they did look very good. When we head to thorpe park again next year we will definately be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be comfortable with good rooms. I’m glad you found us to be great value for money and I have shared your feedback with the management and team of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brighton, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

When in this area I usually stay at the excellent HI Kingston, but tried this place as it was just about walking distance from where I needed to be in Lower Sunbury on Boxing Day night.

It is at the end of an unlit poorly maintained track, not a problem in a car, but not at all nice (or safe) on foot in the dark and wet.

First impressions are good, the reception is spacious and nice, the nearby bar is also spacious and looked really rather good, though I didn't use it, nor the restaurant.

The hotel was almost empty, I saw only 3 other guests during my one-night stay. Despite having booked through priorityclub.com (an IHG site) my details were incorrect on the hotel's computer (right name, but everything else wrong) but this was dealt with competently by the pleasant young man on the desk.

I was given an 'executive room' and walked up one floor to find it. General impressions along the way are that the property is well looked after, but showing some signs of wear.

The room was clean, nicely furnished but a bit out of date. Bathroom clean, nothing to complain about there.

The TV was an adequately sized flatscreen with Freeview channels, the guide wasn't working, but there was a printed note saying they were having teething troubles with a new TV system. Couldnt see if they had any PPV movies though I didn't try that hard, so can't comment on the selection.

They had a Denon micro-hifi on a shelf under the TV. It's something that might have had a wow factor 10 years ago, but really, not now guys! Nobody carts CDs around with them, where was the i-dock? The remote had its battery cover and one battery missing so wouldn't work anyway. I suggest they should get rid of them, they just enhance the slightly out of date feel.

The bed was a fair size and comfortable.

Now I come to 3 negatives:

1) I couldn't get a cell signal for my phone or 3G for my ipad in the room (I'm with O2). This is not directly the fault of the hotel but it was a major inconvenience. I thoroughly object to paying ludicrous charges for hotel wifi, but if I wanted internet access in my room I would have had no choice.

2) At 9.30am there was a knock at the door whilst I was getting dressed. I called out 'hello' loudly a couple of times, but they still started to unlock the door. I had the safety chain on, went to the door and opened it to find two members of the housekeeping staff, one male one female. They could barely speak English, the man said 'Departure?' To which I said yes, but it's 9.30 in the morning and I haven't checked out yet as you can clearly see. 'Will come back later' he said. No apology, no embarrassment. In my opinion coming into a guest's bedroom at that time is barely forgivable.

3) The checkout. They had very few other guests in the hotel and I was the only one at the desk at the time, yet I was hurriedly dealt with by a young lady like I was rudely interrupting whatever other important work she was doing in the side office. I wasn't asked anything about whether my room or stay was OK. It sounds trivial but it really left a poor parting impression.

All in all this is not quite a 4-star hotel in my opinion. Some areas of staff training clearly need attention and the rooms and corridors are starting to feel a bit worn and dated. The poor cell signal is a big drawback.

Will I stay again? Yes, but will continue to favour HI Kingston with my custom most of the time if staying in that area and I suggest the management team of HI Shepperton send someone to spend a night there, they might learn what a true 4-star Holiday Inn is like!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us despite a few issues during your time with us. I have shared your concerns with the management team here at the hotel and we are reviewing how we can learn from them and ensure we enhance the guest experience here at the Holiday Inn London Shepperton. I am particularly sorry for the intrusion into your room; the situation should have been handled with courtesy and your comments have been noted and we have carried out re-training for our housekeeping team members. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Resident Manager

Been to Holiday Inn London-Shepperton? Share your experiences!