“Good for stop over only” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Good for stop over only”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel in general is very nice. I was surprised that this hotel is so good but outside London. I liked the quitness and the nature around but dont have much time to relax. I had a small suite which is big enough for my little family. The room was clean and the staff was so helpful with us. Outside my window was a small lake with nice view of trees.

The only thing i didn't like about is far away from city center and in the middle of no where. It took me about 40 min driving to go back to London. No small shops to buy stuff around or anything to visit around.

Room Tip: Take a suite. Regular rooms are very small.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our team to be helpful.

We hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to the Holiday Inn London Shepperton perhaps if you have the occasion to visit some of the attraction parks local to us.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Not a terrible hotel, but what was wrong was terrible.

Went there on a last minute decision to go to our daughter’s soccer tournament in Cobham. All the hotels near the event were full, so we went here...hard to go wrong with a Holiday Inn I thought. Well, was I wrong.

On the positive side, we asked for a quiet room on the upper floor and we were given that. Beds were adequate and size of room adequate also. The room had its “choke” points where it was one-way traffic, but other hotels have that also. New flat screen TV with 30-some channels. No fridge and no safe. Closed closet with internal light. Two small drawers for clothes. Trouser press. Minimum toiletries. Small bathroom. No exhaust fan in bathroom – a shower created a sauna.

Hotel bar was rather roomy and a good selection of beer. We didn’t eat there, but there wasn’t much on the bar menu that looked good to us. Can’t speak about the restaurant. Both the bar and restaurant seemed lively, but could be due to no nearby alternative.

Exercise facility that had pool and machines. Also looked like the locals used it as a club. We didn’t use it, but it looked nice.

Now the sins.

HEATING: The only thing worse that the referees in the soccer tournament was the heating. The hotel policy on heating is outrageous. I read several reviews about inadequate heating, but attributed it to something faulty in the room. I mentioned this when I arrived and was assured all was well and to call if there was a problem. The room was as cold as it was outside. And damp (its near ponds and the river). I tried the thermostat without success. Cold air blew for a few minutes and then shut down. I called reception and was told that they would “turn on the system”. Waited 20 minutes and no change, so went to speak with the manager. On the way noticed that the hallway was usually cold also. Power outage? Broken heating boiler? Wrong. I didn’t find the manager very accommodating and he looked nervous. He asked how long I would be staying. Maybe the duration of your stay determined the temperature of your room. He offered to change rooms if the problem couldn’t be fixed. But the problem was actually the manager himself. He sent a maintenance person to the room to “fix” the problem who informed that the heating is turned on at 16:00 and off at 21:00. Also turned on at 6:00 and off at 9:00. That’s what was meant by “turn on the system”. So if you are cold at one in the morning, you are on your own. After an exchange of words, the maintenance person indicated that he would take me off the system and let me control my own temperature for our stay. So we kept that room and the temperature problem was fixed except for about 30 minutes then they shut off the system at 21:00 and the manual arrangement kicked in 30 minutes later. I have never seen anything like this at a major chain. All the staff that I spoke with knew what the problem was, kept it a secret (except the last guy) and waited to see if I would tolerate it. If this was my first Holiday Inn, I would never go to another one. So if you use this place, make sure that you tell them that you want a warm room (or cool in the summer) and get off the “system”.

BATHROOM was not clean when we arrived. Unfortunately some of the waste from the previous guest didn’t quite have the distance to make it to the Thames and rested in the toilet bowl. Over time it disintegrated and the water turned to the color of dark tea. A flush cleared the "tea", revealing a yellowish plaque or coating in the bowl below the water. Reminiscent of the color of Uncle Billy’s dentures before he found out he could wash them. It was gone the next day. Nice welcome to Holiday Inn: cold room and soiled toilet.

LOCATION. Not near anything except a marina. Too far to walk anywhere – you definitely need a car. Great if you are at a seminar or training course and your boss wants you focused, but other than that, terrible location. Heavy traffic in the afternoon (16:00-19:00) leaving the hotel area (especially getting across the bridge to Walton on Thames and in the morning 7:00-9:00) made it worse. Plan extra time.

LIGHTING is inadequate. Even with all the lights on it seemed dark. As a bonus for us, one of the lights over one of the beds had been removed. Not the bulb, the whole lamp. So that made a very dark corner. And unfortunately that was the corner of the room that had the desk and the only mirror other than in the bathroom. So once the sun was down, you really couldn’t use the desk or mirror.

PARKING: Big parking lot in the rear. However, when we checked in they didn’t tell us that there was a rear door to the hotel (tucked away a bit and not really obvious). So for the first day we would use the parking road to access the building. No sidewalks and sometime bustling with cars. Also had to stroll by the collection of garbage cans. Strange they didn’t mention the rear door – especially since I asked about parking and how to get inside the hotel when we arrived. (This was before I made a stick about the heating, so they weren’t mad at me yet.) Exiting the parking needed a token from reception. Don’t know why since it’s hard to imagine that people would use the hotel as a drop off place for their cars. There’s nothing around there. So remember to get your token. It’s not a short walk between reception and the parking lot.

TOILETRIES: As stated above, minimal, so no real complaint. However, I noticed that the partially used bottles of shampoo were not replaced with new ones. Instead, the open used bottles were returned to the toiletries tray. Normally the open bottles are left in the shower/tub and new ones placed in the toiletries tray. Looked rather cheap to me. Never seen that before in a large chain hotel.

WI-FI available, but for a price. 5 pounds an hour or 10 pounds for 24 hours. Connection was good. But this should be free. Again, makes the place look cheap.

With the exception of the attempted deception of the manager and reception about the hotel heating policy, other staff hired to interface with guests were chatty and nice. There was another group of staff all dressed in black that never really said much or tried to connect. There appeared to be many of them – I would greet them, they would look surprised and return the greeting. Odd.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely not. Location isn’t great – especially with the rush hour traffic. And I don’t want to be hassled about room temperature. Especially since it was a decision by management to have limited hours of heat.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a manual controlled thermostat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed several aspects of your stay and you found our team to be nice, although I am naturally disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations on all aspects of your stay and would like to apologise for this.

I have investigated fully the issues that you have highlighted and would like to make the following comments.

Regarding the heating timer system:

This system was installed by our contractors to enable us to ensure the maximum performance from our room heating/air conditioning system. I understand our Maintenance Manager explained to you that the system is fully controllable from the room by the guests at all times. Another benefit of this system is that it helps us to reduce our carbon footprint, as we found our guests were leaving the heating/cooling system on for longer than required i.e. still switched on after they have checked out. Our research shows that our customers appreciate our commitment to reducing our co2 emissions. You state that you felt that the Manager tried to deceive you in the way in which our heating system operates. You spoke to one of our duty Managers who passed your issue to the Maintenance team as they were better placed to deal with it, I am confident that he was not trying to deceive you in any way. He has asked to be associated with my apologies if he has offended you in any way.

You mention you found the hotel rear entrance difficult to find, this has not been highlighted before, however we will endeavour to be cleared on check in to explain fully how to access the hotel and will review existing signage. In terms of the bedroom lighting we are about to undergo a comprehensive refurbishment of our bedrooms and we are confident that lighting levels will be enhanced significantly. I am very concerned with the poor levels of cleanliness you experienced in your bathroom and have shared your comments with our Head Housekeeper who has taken steps to ensure these will not be repeated in future.

I would like to re-iterate my apologies for the problems you encountered and would really appreciate the chance to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Shepperton. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to ops.hishepperton@qmh-hotels.com.

Yours sincerely

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I've used this hotel most weeks for over 3 years now. It's a bit off the beaten track down a private road past Shepperton Marina. Great if you've got a car. Trains are a short taxi journey. Lots of places to eat round and about in Lower Sunbury, Shepperton, Walton and Weybridge. Staff are very friendly and hotel is slowly being updated new bar and reception done and a few rooms started too.

• Stayed November 2012
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for spending time on writing a review of our hotel.

I’m pleased to read that as a returning customer you continue to enjoy your stays with us and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip. I will pass your kind words on to our team members.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

stayed at this hotel for 2nights, is listed as a 4star! The room was small considering it's star rating, plugs were fitted by workstation upside down, no information regarding local area or about hotel. Very poor selection of hot drinks, no biscuits, wi-fi charged at £5 per hour or £15 or 24hrs. Not easy to find if you don't know local area, poorly signposted, off from a main road and poorly lit down a pot hole filled lane.
Toilet very noisy when flushed, quilt very thin. Position of kettle unsuitable had to be placed next to T.V to be plugged in at the back of T.V, not very safe!
Ordered 2 hot chocolates which are described on the menu as being served in large cups, actually came in 2 carboard cups and charged £3.25 for each!
would not stay here again, not a warm welcome, when raised issues with reception manager didn't really seem interested and gave an insincere apology, was quite dismissive.

Room Tip: all the rooms we were informed were all the same standard as this is a chain hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not to the standard we strive to deliver. I would really appreciate the chance to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Shepperton. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to ops.hishepperton@qmh-hotels.com.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here many times before as a base for visiting Thorpe Park, Chessington & Legoland. Rooms are good & breakfast excellent but this time, the reception staff let the hotel down. No warm greeting-more of an inconvenience for interrupting her and so no explanation of facilities, room location etc. Good job we'd been before! Pool is lovely but not especially child friendly.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m sorry to read that your time with us was not enjoyable and I am very sorry that our team members let our hotel down. Your comments have been noted for further consideration. I will be sharing your comments with our team and will put in place measures to ensure that the same mistakes will not be made in future.

Beaminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Quick to check in. Rooms were adequate. TV really needs updating and more channels added. Pool was adequate but elderly leisure club members obviously don't like children in the pool.
Bar seemed okay and breakfast was fine.
All the staff were friendly and polite to us.
Nothing is in walking distance so you will need a car or a taxi.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with our hotel.

I’m pleased to read that your time with us was satisfactory and our team members were friendly and professional.

Children are allowed into our pool until 7pm and the club shuts at 9pm weekends and at 10pm during the week. I am pleased to announce that our televisions will all be upgraded this week to flat screen TVs and they will come with an abundance of channels as well as allowing wireless connectivity with laptops and smartphones.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Where do I begin.
The first problem was on arrival, the room cold and smelt damp. I turned the heating on and was confronted with the sound of a hair dryer on full speed an antiquated A/C system. We decided to get changed and go to our venue and left the heating switched on . On return the heating was off and the room again was very cold but the damp smell had gone. I switched the heating back on and we had to endure many hours of it switching on and off automatically with the associated noise problem, very little sleep that night. The following morning I asked for the heating not to be switched off by the staff cleaning the room so we would not have to put it on during the night.

The next night the same again the room was very cold and the heating as on but the room stat turned down. I had to turn it up again to warm the place up and again the sound of a hair dryer on full began. The guest in the next room began talking loudly on his cell phone at 1.30 am and I requested the desk staff to have a word with him as I could clearly hear his conversation through the adjoining door. They didn't. This continued for at least another half an hour until the heating started up again and drowned him out. Ten minutes later it stopped and we then could hear him snoring. No sleep for us again !
The shower thermostat didn't work and was too hot to stand under, the extractor in the bathroom didn't work and the room filled with steam and the mirror was useless, tiles coming away from the wall and mould in the tile grouting.
I pointed all of these problems out again when checking out and was told " they were very sorry I had not been happy with the room and can you enter your pin number in the machine please" We will not be going back.
The only upside was it the breakfast was good and that's about all.

Room Tip: Pick a newer hotel with better A/C and thicker walls.
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing a review of your time spent with Holiday Inn Shepperton.

I am extremely sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We strive to deliver the best service possible to our guests and I’m disappointed that during your stay we have not achieved this.

The heating system in our rooms is one of the major aspects of our refurbishment that will be happening within the next few years. Until then, it is regularly monitored by our maintenance team who work hard to ensure it is satisfactory.

I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in Holiday Inn Shepperton. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to ops.hishepperton@qmh-hotels.com. Once again, please accept my apologies for the quality of your stay.

Resident Manager

Been to Holiday Inn London-Shepperton? Share your experiences!