“Quite nice, one waiter not keen on rude” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Shepperton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Quite nice, one waiter not keen on rude”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice enough, one waiter found quite rude towards me as a woman in his manner, lack of etiquette. My partner highlighted we had a dirty plate, no apology from him. We were kept waiting ages for the bill. Nice after dinner chocolates, best have had from an Indian restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Shepperton, England, United Kingdom
“Used to be good - but food has gone downhill :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I would have said that the Ivory Tusk is the best curry house in Shepperton, but we went last night and we were all disappointed with the food. The presentation of the starters was poor - and my onion pakora was cold with almost no sauce. I decided to go for the monkfish curry - which was in a very bland sweet sauce - supposedly including coconut. I think the coconut was in the chef's snack time Bounty bar - I couldn't taste any in the dish. I'm not sure the fish was monkfish - but then the pieces were small and scarce - not really worth £16.

My friend had the prawn dansaak, which he found to be very bland. The best part of the meal for me was the crisp hot naan bread - everything else was tepid.

We finished the evening with coffee and icecream. Prepacked desserts - sadly typical of many Indian restaurants. And coffee so weak you could see the bottom of your cup.

The other thing that struck me was that this once buzzing and busy restaurant - where in the past you always had to book - was pretty quiet, considering it was the Friday before Christmas. I wonder if the locals now feel that the restaurant is not such good value as it used to be.

The staff were attentive as usual - the front of house manager is charming. I think we would have appreciated it though if at the end of the evening the staff had not all clustered round the bar chatting - none of them noticed we were trying to get the bill!

I hope the Tusk can up its game - we have always liked it in the past. But it will need to do more in order to compete with Indian Zest in Sunbury and Cinnamon in Hersham.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Feltham, United Kingdom
“Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Went here on 03/12/12. Had the best curry I have ever eaten...and I've had a few. I'll be back. Good atmosphere and staff looked after us well.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff and good sized portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Went on a Wedneday night so not the busiest night of the week,
but the staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble,
thanks for a good night

Visited October 2012
Ascot
“The Best Indian Food for Miles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having tried many Indian restaurants over the years, including some famous London ones, we always come back to the Ivory Tusk because of its consistently very good food. It means driving 10 miles for a curry - past lots of other Indian restaurants we've tried who have fallen short of the Ivory Tusk's fantastic quality - but it's so worth it.

Friday and Saturday nights do get busy and service can be a little too slow when the restaurant is full but this is when the atmosphere is at its best.

The waiting staff are efficient and polite and the owners welcoming and friendly. Decor is no frills modern, clean and comfortable but for us it's all about the food which continues to be fabulous.

• Visited October 2012