“Poor Service and misleading parking deal” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London Heathrow

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London Heathrow to your Saves list
Sofitel London Heathrow
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Terminal 5, London Heathrow Airport, Hounslow TW6 2GD, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Hounslow
Axbridge, United Kingdom
“Poor Service and misleading parking deal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We booked this hotel for one night before taking a flight. We chose it specifically because the website offered parking + room deals and because the website advertised secure underground parking on site. When we arrived at the hotel, we parked in the underground car park only to find that we couldn't access the lifts to the hotel. We struggled up 3 flights of stairs with our cases, and arrived in the lobby to be greeted by a member of staff who said "why didn't you use the lift?". When we explained he just shrugged and there was no offer to help with our cases.

Check in was shambolic. They had an address in Bahrain on our account, despite me having booked directly with their website, and when I said I had no connection whatsoever with Bahrain they seemed shocked. I now see another reviewer who experienced the same problem. The clerk's remedy was to manually amend the check in slip (not to use the computer system). No mention was made of the parking when we checked in, but as I'd specifically booked the 4 day park and fly deal I assumed all would be well.

We ate in the Vivre restaurant, which we found rather souless. We waited ages for our bottle of wine, which eventually arrived when we'd had already got our main courses. Quality of food was OK, but 6 chips to accompany a burger seems rather meagre. They were stacked nicely though!

The room was lovely, only gripe being that the window looked out onto an internal atrium, so no natural light. We'd requested a room away from the lifts so we'd get minimum noise disturbance. They gave us a room far away from the guest lifts, but right next to the service lift, which clanked away all night! Nice touch - and not very thoughtful.

In the morning we received not one but three alarm calls, none of them at the right time.

When we went to check out, I asked about getting the car park ticket validated on our return, to be told that I should have notified the check in clerk that we were on a park and fly deal, and should have handed my car keys over. Surely the clerk could see the terms of our booking when she checked us in, and surely the customer is always right? Not at this hotel. I explained that we had not been asked for our keys, and that I had only booked the hotel because of their much heralded secure underground parking. I did not want my car to be moved off site and that was why I had chosen the hotel. I asked to speak to a manager, but no one was available. It's worth saying too that the car park was practically empty and we pointed this out to the clerk, who was unimpressed. So we had no choice but to hand over our keys. I emailed the hotel while we were away and asked for their assurance that our car would be delivered back to the hotel in time for our return. I also raised the points about their web site and the fact that the park and fly deals don't mention that your car will be moved offsite. I am still waiting for a reply to my email.

On our return, the car was at the hotel and a reception manager took our bags out to the car. Still no apology for the confusion though.

I have no intention of staying at this hotel ever again.

• Liked — Very nice room and bathroom
  • Disliked — Chaotic service and misleading parking deal
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

3,709 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Everything perfect, service polished and efficient (in contrast to others' comments), great menu (try the pizza!). Short easy stroll through covered walkway into T5. I will always stay there for T5 in future. Use Meteor valet parking too.

• Liked — Right next to Heathrow T5
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

I stayed here after a late meeting in London so that I could catch an early morning flight from Terminal 5. The location for Terminal 5 is brilliant. In the morning I left my room at 05:40, used express check-out, and was through security and in the BA lounge in Terminal 5 by 06:00 - and the security queues were long!
I found the hotel just a bit too minimalist though. There is longish walkway to the hotel from Terminal 5 which is rather featureless. The public areas are all very minimalist with the use of granite and stone everywhere. I felt it lacked warmth and atmosphere. It is in an odd location being surrounded by a multi-storey carpark and access roads. No major views that I could see.
Check-in was OK. The receptionist was slightly over-friendly insisting that I would need a wake-up call in the morning since I would sleep so well in my king-size bed. I assured him that I had an alarm clock.
The room numbering is odd as stated by other people. My room had a window facing onto an internal walkway - so natural light and I had to keep curtains closed or else people would have been looking in . It was a very pleasant room with granite tops to all the furniture. Limited channel choice on TV without paying for extra options. Bed was comfy but still managed to wake up in time for flight. Bathroom well appointed with separate shower cubicle. Did not like the toiletries at all (personal taste).
I ordered room service which came in 30 mins. Very good quality food and wine. Had a drink in the bar which again was soul-less but had a good range of wines by the glass.
If I was flying out of Terminal 5 I would certainly use this hotel again but it did not live up to the hype BA gave it. The Sofitel at Gatwick is much nicer than this one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Architecture and lack of window onto the outside world
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

I had a lovely experience at the Sofitel Heathrow hotel. The front end staff were friendly and very efficient and I was made to feel very welcome.

Certainly one to recommend!

• Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Folkestone, Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

First the good - the room was lovely, we got a free upgrade to an Executive King having booked an Executive Queen. The shower was lovely, toiletries were posh and nice, bed very high (had to jump a bit!) which I loved, and we got a great night's sleep with almost zero noise.

Now the not-so-good. When we arrived they had some other person's contact details on my reservation and were really surprised when I said it was wrong. They wanted to swipe a card before giving us our room key, which is fine, but wouldn't take my debit card - they would only swipe a credit card, which was annoying.

Check out was similarly confused and annoying. In particular I was annoyed that the room card I signed on check in had my room rate at £129 but then at check out they add in more than £20 in taxes that brought it to just over £150. I was then more annoyed to find that when I asked for my car park ticket to be activated that was another undisclosed £15 that I had to pay down in the car park.

I then walked to the lift to the car park (the ONLY lift to the car park) and the receptionist suddenly told me it was broken. I was all alone with lots of luggage (my husband took an early morning plane leaving me his luggage to take home). She just said "Take the stairs". Luckily I happened upon another staff member when I was struggling on the stairs who immediately helped me down to the car.

The final straw was that all the car park pay machines were broken! The receptionist hadn't told anyone and there was mass confusion. Eventually I found a lady who clearly from her uniform worked in the spa, and she ran off across the car park for me and ran back to say it was ok to pay at the gate.

Overall, I loved the room, liked most of the staff (away from reception who were awful) but I hated the hidden charges. If they were upfront about what they charged I would have felt less ripped off at the end of the stay.

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — hidden charges
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

I was a Hilton T4 fan but am now firmly a Sofitel T5 fan. So very handy to T5 and ultra modern in design. Very comfy beds, separate shower to bath (stayed in a deluxe room) and staff all eager to please (probably because it's brand new). Local taxi's don't have a clue how to get to it though so if you need to order a cab do so through the hotel concierge (signage is poor).

Stayed October 2008
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

What a great hotel. Get in there now before it gets really busy.. staff are over the top in trying to help - don;t always get it right though... new hotel sure they'll catch up with demanding traveller.. Best value at Heathrow but again suspect prices will increase when everyone gets to know about it, beats the Hilton and the Marriott hands down - both look faded in comparison... And cheaper - especially on food and drink.

• Liked — really comfortable beds
  • Disliked — ziltch
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!