“Convenient, but so impersonal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London Heathrow

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London Heathrow to your Saves list
Sofitel London Heathrow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Terminal 5, London Heathrow Airport, Hounslow TW6 2GD, England   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Convenient, but so impersonal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We first stayed at the Sofitel a few years ago and enjoyed the visit. This year, we again booked the Sofitel on our last night in London, since we had a 7:30 a.m. flight to the states the next day. This time, the experience was only average. The hotel could do with an update--our room's carpeting was dingy and stained. The room was dark, with inadequate lighting.

Our check-in experience was somewhat unpleasant. We arrived before the stated check-in time, and asked if we could have our reserved (and fully paid-for) room anyway. (The last time we had stayed, they had given us our room early without any fuss.) This time, the person at reception told us that he could let us have our room early if we were willing to pay an additional 20 British pounds. We declined, and asked if we could just stow our luggage until we checked in later. He told us that a room was available, and that we could have it if we just paid the extra money. We declined, and again asked about just stowing our luggage until later. He seemed reluctant to let us do that. I've never stayed in a hotel where they would not permit a guest to leave his or her bags until the room was ready. Finally, he told us we could just have our room, but that we should know that if we ever stayed there in the future, we would need to pay the additional 20 pounds. We stayed in four separate hotels on this trip, and it was the only one that insisted on enforcing the check-in time. Since the room was obviously available, I just don't see the point of alienating a guest for the sake of an arbitrary rule.

The room was nothing special, and did not even include a hair dryer or alarm clock--a very serious exclusion for a hotel catering to guests who might be leaving on an early flight.

We also had some issues with information provided by the concierges. We asked about transportation from the hotel to Terminal 1 (the hotel is at Terminal 5). The first concierge we spoke with only had a train schedule showing Sunday trains (we were leaving on a Saturday). He told us that he thought we could get a train as early as 5:07 a.m. on Saturdays. He didn't seem terribly confident, so we asked another concierge later. She said the trains didn't run at all that early, and that a cab was the only answer. (As it turns out, the 5:07 a.m. information provided by the first guy was accurate.)

This hotel caters to an international crowd of travelers who, conceivably, have other choices in hotels. They should step up their game: update their rooms (and include alarm clocks for those of us who need both a wake-up call and a clock); be more accommodating at check-in (regardless of the hour!); and be very well informed about how guests can get to other parts of Heathrow.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us.

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies as I was concerned to read your experience with us and that you felt your stay with us was average.

I was disappointed to read of your check in experience and the information given to you from our concierge, we do try our best to accommodate guests should they arrive prior to check in time however this is dependent on the availability from the previous night and rooms which have been booked for day use.

Vikramkit Singh our Front of House Manager will be sharing your experience to our front desk team and our Concierge to ensure that there is no future mis communication with regard to transportation to other terminals within Heathrow.

There are hair dryers in all of our rooms which are in the desk draw; we do not have an alarm clock in the rooms however a wakeup call can be arranged via our switchboard or reception.

I appreciate you highlighting the downfalls you experienced and I hope to welcome you back for a more memorable stay with us in the future.

4,290 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Excellent hotel, nice restaurants and bars, very convenient for Heathrow layovers, easy transport to London on the Heathrow express, or the Piccadilly Line. We have stayed there twice and will do it again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your comments and that you enjoyed the food and beverage options available at the hotel.

We are indeed very convenient being linked to Terminal 5; guests can walk over to the London Underground in a matter of minutes which the Piccadilly starts from into Central London.

Thank you for your loyalty with our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My Sofitel experience began by getting off a plane at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 and what a pleasure Terminal 5 is. Spacious and stunning modern architecture, gets you in a great mood right from the beginning. The hotel is conveniently attached directly to the terminal, so a couple lift rides and then a bit of a hike down a long but sleek and inviting corridor and you're there.

Similarly to the terminal it's very open, and modern, think glass, open elevators, exposed beams muted tones. It has a bit of a pod feeling with wings, enclosed courtyards etc. I assume the view around the airport isn't great so there was a focus on courtyards with rooms looking into them. This definitely helped to give it a calming, relaxed feel with ample light despite being so close to such a busy airport.

The room was spacious, particularly by UK standards. Despite just being there for a day between flights I did make the trek in by tube to London. Having stations at the terminal made this very easy, it took around 45 mins or so to get in - which wasn't bad and seriously makes me consider staying here just for a regular visit to London, it felt like so much better value, and much more relaxing.

On a final note, one of the great things about terminal 5 is it's shopping. Very close to the hotel are several well stocked cafés/mini grocery stores packed with fresh, delicious ready to eat foods. So if you just need a quick bite or snack this was easily accomplished. Breakfast at the hotel was a delicious full buffet with many options.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us,

I am delighted that you had such a memorable stay with us and that you found our hotel to be spacious and stunning.

I am pleased you for our location to be convenient especially for Terminal 5 and also to catch the London Underground into central London.

We do pride ourselves in serving the best breakfast which includes dishes from around the world which I am pleased to know you enjoyed.

I hope you had a pleasant onwards journey and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was absolutely appalled by my experience of staying at this hotel last Thursday for one night. I had found it difficult to get through to book the hotel in the first place, as no one seems to answer the phone for Reservations. There were other minor grievances i had with the hotel on arrival, but the main one was that I did not receive a wake up call for my early morning flight, leaving at 9 am. I had asked for a wake up call at 6.30 am and had I not set my alarm on my mobile phone, I would have been stuffed. I have contacted the hotel and asked for a Manager to contact me but I have not even had the courtesy of a phone call. Disgraceful and not what I would expect from a so-called 5 star luxury hotel. Be warned that if you request a wake up call at this hotel, you have a very real chance of missing your flight.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you endured during your recent stay with us. I fully understand the frustration and incovenience caused to you which could have been avoided.

I have shared your experience with our reception and our Front of House Manager Vikramjit Singh, who is reviewing the situation formally with the individuals involved to prevent any re occurrence.

We take all our guests comments seriously, please rest assured that we will do our utmost best to avoid such situations arising again in the future.

I appreciate you taking the time to write to me and I will also be communicating with you separately regarding your stay with us.

Anna-Marie Dowling - General Manager

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Ok it is a bit expensive, but so convenient, for us the best way to start an international long distance holiday is a little bit of luxuary and convenience. this is it. Easy access to the concourse for the flight, efficient, clean and comfortable. Ideal for terminal 5 when flying from there. If only all airport hotels could be this good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Adviser,

I am pleased to read that you found our hotel a great place to start your holiday with the convenience and luxury.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and we hope to welcome you back next time you are flying from Heathrow.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed here on 23rd March before our mid-morning flight on 24th having booked accommodation, dinner and parking. We were pleased to discover that the parking was underground and there was no problem finding a space or a trolley and easy access by lift to reception. The hotel itself is impressive, light and airy and the large modern comfortable bedrooms extremely well appointed and surprisingly quiet bearing in mind the location. We had pre-booked the set dinner which although very good, the choice was limited so wish we had gone for the a la carte which had lots of very tempting dishes all cooked in front of you as the kitchen is open. The 5 minute walk undercover to Terminal 5 next morning was great, no waiting around for buses, and similarly on our return after a long-haul flight it was such a relief to get back to the hotel and our car so quickly. Definitely recommend this lovely hotel which is obviously good because we saw BA crews staying there!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor,

I was delighted to read your comments and that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us.

I am pleased that you found our park and stay package to be convenient and easy to access after your trip.

Thank you for your comments on our rooms and facilities which you found to be impressive, light, airy and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Hythe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We booked the stay and park option as we were travelling to Mexico the following day. On arrival the parking was easy with covered parking and direct access via lift to the reception. At the reception we greeted promptly and had a a very courteous and efficient introduction to the hotel. We did not eat at the hotel although judging by the options and general standard we saw I am sure it would be good. During checkin we were given our Car park exit ticket which ensured we could go straight to the car when we returned. The room was very good, modern design, comfortable and just what we wanted prior to a trip away. In the morning after a superb sleep/rest we set off to Terminal 5. I was a little sceptical as to how close it was to terminal 5 and had visions of a 'route march' prior to getting there. This was not the case. The reality is that it a fairly short covered walk to the Terminal. There are lifts to each level and for us it was so stress free. On our return rather than having to wait for somebody else to get us where we wanted to be we had a short walk from arrivals using two lifts and we were at our car. Bags in car and on way home in less than fifteen minutes, superb.
It is not the cheapest option but for pure convenience, comfort and speed you can not go wrong.
I will most certainly be using this option/hotel again.

Dear Guest,

Such wonderful comments are a pleasure to read and I am pleased that we made your stay prior to Mexico memorable and stress free.

Our park and stay package is very popular and as you mentioned in your comments such ease to walk over from Terminal 5 to the car park in a matter of minutes.

I hope you had a wonderful time in Mexico and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Sofitel London Heathrow

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!