“Nice room but service lets it down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London Heathrow

You added Sofitel London Heathrow to your Saves list
Sofitel London Heathrow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Terminal 5, London Heathrow Airport, Hounslow TW6 2GD, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best deal of the day
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Axbridge, United Kingdom
“Nice room but service lets it down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We've stayed here before due to the hotel's proximity to T5 and that was our reason for staying here again this time. We booked online and opted for a room only pre paid rate. At £130 room only it's on the pricey side, so I guess you are paying for that convenience to T5.

On arrival I was surprised to be asked for my credit card in order that a 'pre authorisation' amound could be placed on the card. I queried this as I had opted for a prepayment deal. I was told that my card had not in fact been charge in advance for the room and that I was now required to allow the sum of £240 to be 'pre authorised' to my card. I objected to this as we were not planning to incur any extra charges (no phone calls, no room service, no breakfast). I was made to feel quite uncomfortable, but the clerk eventually agreed only to charge the room rate to my card. After a long drive to the airport this wasn't really the kind of welcome I was expecting.

Our room was a standard queen room and I must say the bed was extremely comfy - which for us is the main feature we're looking for before a long trans Atlantic flight the next day. Rather oddly there were only 3 pillow provided between the two of us, which seemed odd but we were too tired to phone and ask them to bring another.

We went over to Marks and Spencer in the terminal building and bought a fine picnic spread including wine or our evening meal and even some porridge for the morning! No need to incur the very high prices for food and drink in the hotel (fine if your company is picking up the tab - but not so great for individual travellers like us).

A good night's sleep followed, then a quick check out and over to the terminal for our flight.

Just a pity that a good stay in a nice hotel was spoiled by an officious check in clerk.

Room Tip: We normally ask for a room away from the main walkway and the lifts.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your Review of our hotel. I know we have been in contact separately and will look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Whenever I fly out of Heathrow, I use the Sofitel. It may be a little more expensive than other so-called airport hotels, but the convenience alone makes the extra worth paying - for Terminal 5, it's a 2 minute walk away, and for the other terminals a free rail transfer makes getting there a breeze.

Convenience aside, the quality of the room and facilities are top-notch. Spotlessly clean, well-sound-proofed, friendly staff... and if the food's not your thing (it's okay for a transit hotel) you're just a short blast on the Heathrow Express from the centre of London and a myriad of choices.

So I stayed there again a fornight ago on my way out of the country, and as ever all the above applied. Plus a free upgrade to a kingsize-bedded room was much appreciated - it's these little touches that make you appreciate the already friendly and helpful staff on the front desk all the more. And now there's free wifi, an omission I'd felt let the place down in the past. Remedied now, I am pleased to find. A little disappointed to find the toiletries are no longer L'Occitane; the new stuff isn't a patch on it. I'd be delighted to find that this was just a temporary blip and not a permanent change in the contract...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
I was extremely delighted to read all your extremely positive comments regarding the Sofitel London Heathrow. Your comments regarding L’Occitane have most certainly been noted. Thank you for your valued custom.
Winchcombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great location and rooms but service not 5*. Free wi-fi pathetic for a GBP 200 room this should
be fast and efficient but was crap! They need to do better. Dining experience was spoilt on first night by dirty lipstick on my wife's wine glass! Not 5*. Second night wrong drinks brought because waiter could not understand English. Previous conversation about car hire help did not materialise in practice. If you charge these prises and call yourself 5* you need to get these
service things right!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mr Lincoln
Thank you for your Review. I am very sorry that your initial stay was marred by incidents in the Bar, your wife's drink and wifi. This should not have occurred and you were correct to inform me. Please contact me direct the next time you are our guest on vincent.madden@sofitel.com
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here when flying out earlyish from T5, the ability to walk to checkin rather than struggle with busses isn't to be under estimated. The rooms as good and the bath is large. The only criticism is that only one restaurant was open around 9pm which is a bit limiting for an airport hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel. On behalf of all the Team at the Sofitel London Heathrow, may I say how delighted I am that you had a pleasant stay. Your comment regarding our Restaurant has most certainly been ‘taken on board’. We look forward to taking care of you on your next visit to Heathrow.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I usually stay at the Hilton T4 when I fly out of Heathrow but as it was Christmas Day I decided to splash out on the Sofitel instead. The Hilton is nice (and usually a little cheaper) but the Sofitel is the best airport hotel at Heathrow for sure. Modern, convenient (for T5), and the only airport hotel that I know of at Heathrow which has a separate bath and shower. The buffet breakfast was excellent also.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Sofitel London Heathrow. I am delighted you had such a positive guest experience and that you particularly enjoyed the convenience of our close locality to Terminal 5. Your compliments regarding Breakfast will be passed on to our Team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is slightly tricky to find unless you're very familiar with the airport. I went to T5 arrivals level where there is one sign near the tube exit and UK arrivals though you still have to go up one floor in the lift and then follow the walkway round.

Not checking in until quite late at night, I really appreciated being within walking distance of the terminal and not having to worry about shuttle buses etc.

The hotel has a stunning, ultra modern design with shops etc. along the central walkway. Breakfast on the ground floor was also extensive and high quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Sofitel London Heathrow. I am delighted you had such a positive guest experience and that you particularly enjoyed the convenience of our close locality to Terminal 5. Your compliments regarding Breakfast will certainly be passed on to our Team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Premier Inn Heathrow Airport - Bath Road
#2 of 12 in West Drayton
4.0 of 5 stars 1,734 reviews
Hilton London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!