“Got charged twice for a room.. English accent-hard to understand” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Continental Hotel to your Saves list
The Continental Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 - 31 Lampton Road, Hounslow TW3 1JA, England   |
Ranked #17 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
“Got charged twice for a room.. English accent-hard to understand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Needed 2 rooms, Booked One room through hotel4U & 2nd room was booked directly with the hotel. On check out payment had been made. Everything was fine until I checked my bank statement.. Shocked to know that payment has been taken twice for one room( once by website HOTEL4U & once by HOTEL continental) Contacted hotel but got answer that as it has been too long(a week LOL)since i had booked hotel & account has bedn closed so i need to ring in the morning. .....No proper place for car parking.. Only 10-12 places which r always in use some by hotel users & some by Gold Gym users.. Two parking bays were COVERED by a SUV with a RESERVE sign PLACED NEAR SUV..
Hard to understand what hotel employees speak ..very poor

accent... Took long time to understand where is the other place to park...

• Stayed August 2013

381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Booked hotel 3 days befor it stated on the page you would pay on checkout that's all good as was going to pay in cash for it when arrived still had to give card details arrived after our 3 hour journey to find they tried to take money out on thenight I booked and because didn't get paid until next day they canceled my room but didn't ring to tell me so turnt up to have no room them wanted to charge me £95 for room + £50 on top and had to share a double with a colleague as we were attending a work thing plus £15 parking and had one available parking space left for a 50+ room hotel ,not impressed as there was no sorry no sympathy and were not going to go out there way to help us so ended up leaving and going across the road to the days hotel inn who charged us £99 for a twin which was nicer with free breakfast,parking,Internet and so helpful the bloke at the continental couldn't even manage my name which I then had to write on a piece of paper NOT GOOD for a 4* hotel!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Walking distance to Hounslow Central tube station, which is the same train line to Heathrow Airport. Service is ok only. The day before I arrived, I called to the reception to check my booking status, the reception was very rude in tone, asking me to ask only by tmr morning 9am onwards then he just hang up the phone! These was a very bad first impression to us. Luckily the next morning we went there wanted to just leave our luggages in the hotel and left for our schedule tour, the reception was doing fine. Overall for these two nights stay, average I can say...

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My mother and I stayed 3 nights in this hotel last week.
The location is good, it's a 3 minute walk to Hounslow central tube station, which is 3 stations away from Heathrow Airport.
The staff were rather welcoming and friendly.
We were on the 4th floor and the only window of the room couldn't be open, and the air conditionning was not working properly. Only after mentionning this issue to the reception staff for the third time, they offered to give us a room on the 3rd floor and there was no issues with this 2nd room.
Also we took a standard double room and there was a bit of mould at the bottom of the shower.
The free continental breakfast was very limited and the breakfast staff could be more friendly.
There is a nicely heated swimming pool in the hotel.

Room Tip: I would pay a bit more to be in a premium rather than a standard room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Telford, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I thought after looking on the web site this looked a cracking hotel for the money especially with a pool and gym. It was nearly half the price of the other hotel I was going to book. I now know why. A few fancy fixtures and fittings but the basics are rubbish. A lift that holds 3 people and takes 5 minutes each time you want to use it. Its really poor. I had my first meal today in the restaurant, gourmet food, I think not. Very good with wording the menu but hand cut chips bla bla bla, they mean Mc Cains frozen chips but charge you the earth. £5 for a pint of diet coke which wasn't in a pint glass then a 12.5% service charge on top. Im gutted I didn't book the Radisson now as im here for the rest of the week. I have yet to try the pool but if the room I booked is a superior room i'm half expecting a paddling pool in the car park.

Room Tip: Good luck!! Superior room is not superior
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
South Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked this hotel because Hotel Direct said it was a new hotel with four stars and a fabulous restaurant offering gourmet food. None of this is true. I booked a double room because I am disabled and like to be able to spread myself over the bed. When I got to my room it was a twin so I had to ask to be moved. The next room was smaller but I accepted it. The air con wasn't working and an engineer got it going but it failed again an hour later. Reading other reviews this is a common fault with this hotel. After trying to sleep on a mattress that was harder than a rock I phoned reception in the middle of the night and asked for the air con to be mended but there were no engineers around. I said that I had no intention of paying for a room that I couldn't sleep in. When I went to breakfast the air con still wasn't working and they said they'd move me to another room. This time the air con was OK and the mattress slightly softer and I did get some sleep that night. The breakfast was OK but the room is far too small and very overcrowded. The gourmet restaurant serves totally awful food. The only thing that was good was the chips! It took four goes to get a bottle of wine that was cold and I had to explain to the waiter that he should put water in the bucket with the ice to keep the wine cold. A bit of training needed there. The steak had been beaten to within an inch of its life, probably to tenderise it and the texture was like pate. I know this is what happened because I asked to see a raw rib eye steak like the one I had eaten and I was showed a tray of small, round steaks like fillet about two inches high. To get to the flat shape I was served would have taken a lot of beating.
The hotel is generally very dirty and dilapidated throughout the common areas. The wall lining is falling off, plaster is falling off and the carpets throughout are filthy. In my bedroom you could see the mark on the floor where the maid gave it its daily wash. All around the edges and under the sink the grouting was revolting. My taps had verdigris all around them and dirt on them. My bedside table was stained.
This is not a four star hotel and Hotel Direct has made the hotel change its claim that it is new. The only thing going for the hotel is the staff who, without exception tried so hard to make my stay more pleasant. They don't deserve to work in such a hotel. The final insult was when I complained to Hotel Direct and they believed the hotel that I was treated amazingly well and then they offered me a discount to stay there again. Are they mad??

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Was looking for a fairly priced hotel within the county of London. We found The Continental Hotel which looked good enough for the weekend stay. The room service and restaurant was great, food was at a reasonable price. Staff were very helpful and polite. However, there was one let-down with the pool, under 16s were not allowed in the pool before 09:00am. Apart from that disappointment, there was great access to the London Underground. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!