“Shabby Chic??” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Fort Worth, Texas
“Shabby Chic??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I usually read these reviews and think that people sound spoiled and picky when they call out little details about the faucets or grout in the bathrooms, so I'm not going to do that. The Continental obviously tries really hard to accommodate their guests with what they have, which is an old building made over to look super modern, on the cheap. The staff is friendly but somewhat inept. I came down to alert the staff when the desk chair I had in my room broke in two as I leaned back against it. But after I mentioned it to the night man at the desk, I never heard another word about it. The beds were middle of the road, the floors were really creaky and noisy which made for lots of waking up as bar patrons rolled in at all hours of the night. One thing.......the shower was awesome. Very hot and great water pressure. Overall it was OK, but when I return to Europe.....I think I'm going to stick with the chains, for consistency.

• Stayed April 2013
Ishan K, Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we value your feedback. I was delighted to learn you were able to use us as a base- we are very fortunate to benefit from such a great location with such fantastic transport links from right outside the door. Also we’ve got an ongoing maintenance program and we are updating all are bed rooms.

I am very proud to have such a fantastic team of staff here- second to my guests I believe the team are the greatest asset of the hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again soon- don't forget to book direct to get the best rates!

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Being a believer in 'you get what you pay for' I was really quite pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are well appointed, modern and clean. The service was always above average, with exception to the dining room, which I wouldn't recommend. The food was average and some of the servers are a little too friendly, to the point of it becoming uncomfortable and a little awkward.

Overall, great value for money, much better than if you were to stay closer to London.

Room Tip: You either have a view of the Heathrow flight-path or an office building. The glass is double glazed...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Great feedback! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts of the hotel and very glad to hear you enjoyed what makes our Hotel Extra special.

We hope to see you back soon.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here our last night in the UK so we'd be near Heathrow for a morning flight--got off at Hounslow Central and it just a couple of blocks walk. Room was comfortable and well-appointed, had a shelf for the suitcase (only place in UK we stayed at that had this, none of the others even had a folding suitcase-stand), nice tea/coffee setup, and free *fast* wireless in the room. Service was great--they refused a tip for carrying our bags up, and sent room service up (we didn't even have to ask) with a nice big bowl of water for hubby's guide dog. Bathroom was nice, had heated towel rack and nice spa-type soap and lotion (and washcloths, apparently uncommon in UK hotels). We had a lovely dinner in the restaurant which was reasonable as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding the Staff hotel and restaurants and am pleased that you found your meals good value for money,
We at The Continental Hotel praise ourselves for the excellent customer service we offer our guests and the fantastic facilities we have.
The next time you will be visiting London – you are most welcome and please contact me directly, so that I can personally say hello!!!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel to get out of London and it looked nice in the pictures. We had a twin room which was generous in size, clean, modern and functional. The shower was amazing - huge and very strong flow. Beds were very comfortable. Nice toiletries were supplied and replenished daily. Toilet was a bit questionable - had trouble flushing and became blocked on our last night.

The adjacent restaurant and bar charges between 12.5% and 15% service charge depending on how many people in your group. This was a bit ridiculous as we did not find their service to be fantastic. The staff hovered over you, touched children in our group one too many times and were not organized. The staff need to have designated tables as they double up on asking things to us (eg. How was our meals, would we like drinks/dessert etc).

One member in our group used the car park (15 pounds per night), which was home to homeless people and some dodgy looking people who were exchanging money for even dodgier goods/services. They didn't feel comfortable parking the car in there overnight. The hotel also tried to charge us for parking when we did not use the car park nor did we have a car in the UK. However, this was quickly cleared up when we told them this was the case.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Continental Hotel Hounslow.

Regard's

Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a rugby game in Twickenham. The hotel grading system in London needs a review after this experience.
Booked by a friend as a 'twin' via a 3rd party website and needless to say that this wasn't communicated to the hotel....so we had to snuggle up in a double! The lack of interest shown for our plight by the receptionist was not encouraging. When asked about the availability of a twin the receptionist looked to her colleague for assistance and the answer from her was an immediate 'NO'...she didn't even look up!!!
During our stay all the staff were courteous at reception and the bar without ever being particularly friendly, confident...or ..well.. good!
The hotel is decorated in the 'trendy' style in fashion 5-10 years ago. The trouble is that it was obviously done on the cheap. The floors creak like hell and many fittings and finishes are worn and falling apart throughout the property. THe air temperature was stifling in public areas as well as the bedroom.
The room was 'London' small and the bathroom was poky. The bed made a particularly worrying 'snapping' sound when I sat on it.....I didn't investigate further. The A/C worked for about 5 minutes when activated to cool the room but then diplayed an 'error' message and turned itself off so the cupboard/room became an uncomfortable hotbox overnight [No windows that could be opened].
On return to the hotel at about 12am we decided to have a drink and were able to do so by charging to the room - which was fine except that the external furniture is piled up inside the bar to make it less than inviting. The mistral-like air flow in the bar made for a hot and uncomfortable beer drinking experience and as the night porter cleared away all drinks except for beer we decided to retire for the night.
We were on a room-only basis but my friend decided he wanted to go for breakfast the next morning. We arrived at the small restaurant area and it was full. We waited for assistance and a waiter did seat us in the adjacent bar area [my friend didn't want to wait for a proper table].
In short - staff were all over the place. It was well staffed- I counted 4 staff for about 30 customers but they weren't remotely organised and ran around like headless chickens. I had to get up to look for tea from a waiter as the 'host' forgot our order for same. I also had to seek out a setting of cutlery as the muppets failed to see that we had nothing set at our table.
The buffet food was lukewarm and very average . The chef stocking the croissants [the only decent item on the buffet] could not understand me when I requested natural yoghurt and returned from the kitchen with other flavoured yoghurts.
The 'tea' served to us was officially the WORST I have ever had. It was grey coloured and undrinkable. When I asked for coffee instead I said that the tea was awful...the waiter chose to ignore that comment and went off to get a cup of coffee for me that was only marginally drinkable.
Service 1/5
Meal 2/5
Ambience 2/5
Price £27 PLUS SERVICE!!!!!!!!!! They charged for service....I haven't encountered that for a while. After converting to EUROs my friend did concur that it was a major rip-off.
We departed after a single night stay, only having spent a short time in this hotel but were left with a very underwhelming sense of satisfaction. If I had paid top-dollar for the night I would have read the riot act to management,

We transferred to another hotel for the second night and this was a budget brand. The staff were confident and engaging and needless to say this left a much better taste in our mouths,!

If it's a cheap offer and you aren't remotely expecting 4-star facilities or service....go to the Continental.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us.

I was disappointed to learn that you were dissatisfied with some elements relating to your stay. Unfortunately due to the town centre location of the hotel the Twin rooms sell very fast especially on busy nights. But looking at your records you have booked a Double room only.
The location of the hotel is ideal when people want easy access to the town centre, Twickenham Rugby or to London which is only a 20 minutes Piccadilly line journey from us.
Regarding the breakfast buffet, I can appreciate that during our peak times it can be very busy, accommodating up to 200 guests each morning which can make it very congested. On check in, the receptionists do advise that breakfast can be very busy so to allow extra time for breakfast. This information is also in your room.

I am genuinely disappointed that you were disappointed with your stay and I really hope you would stay with us again in the future if you were in need of a bedroom in the Hounslow area again.

Kind regards,
Oxford England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Even the Sat Nav was confused trying to drive into the place. When I got there quite late in the evening , first impressions were -nice decor,- smartly designed but looking a little jaded. The bedroom was OK . Nice colour scheme and well designed bathroom . However the bathroom fitments (taps etc) are in definite need of replacement as the chrome surface was turning brown!

In all I found the place OK but a bit soul-less. Creaking corridor floors added to its "unlived in" feel. For a parking space in what looked like a loading bay , in beautiful Downtown Hounslow I thought a £15 charge per night said a lot about about the management attitude to its clients

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ishan K, Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review. I am delighted you liked our hotel, your room accommodation. We have an exciting refurbishment program taking place which will dramatically change the appearance of many of our rooms and facilities.
With regard to the car park, we have over 35 spacers and it is on first come fist serve basis, the management is negotiating and trying to get more spacers for are hotel guest. We are the cheapest in this area and we charge only £15.00 per night, (CCTV & PATROLLED) but how ever if you decide to park in the street with pay and display, it will be more than £24.00 a night - adjoin are hotel.
Once again, thank you for staying with us, at The Continental Hotel and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Ishan k
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Read a number of mixed reviews about this hotel but I have to say its a good solid hotel. Staff were good, hotel was clean, room were good, location was good, nothing bad to say really. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2013
Ishan K, Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a fantastic review for your stay with us! The entire team at The Continental Hotel endeavors to make every stay for our guests a pleasant one, with a personal touch! We are glad to have been at your service at every opportunity.
It is always very gratifying to see our guests sharing their experience on a public platform like this one and extend the good word around. The Team always strives to provide the best experience possible to all our guests and your encouraging words are a reason enough for us to continue on the same path.

On behalf of Team at The Continental Hotel, I would like to thank you once again for your comments and hope to see you soon in not too distant future.
Regard’s
Ishan K

Been to The Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!