“Four star hotel?? I beg to differ.” 1 of 5 stars

The Continental Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 - 31 Lampton Road, Hounslow TW3 1JA, England   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
Newport, South Wales
“Four star hotel?? I beg to differ.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Continental Hotel from the 10th-11th March 2013 to watch the rugby and to spend some time away from home. When we got to the hotel, the staff were able to look after our luggage whilst we attended the match. When we finally returned to the hotel at 6pm, we were given our key and directed to our room. The lobby area looked very clean and at first the staff were very friendly and welcoming. But when we entered the lift to get to the second floor, the carpet was very old and shabby. This provided us with a taster of what to expect and when we did enter our room, my instincts turned out to be right. We had been cold allday and so our first mission was to get the heating working. We failed miserably and ended up getting a member of staff to help us. When the heating did eventually begin to work, it may as well have been turned off because it was barely existent. I think at one point, I wondered if I was still standing outside. It was THAT cold. When it came to turning the television on for some entertainment, it wouldn't turn on. Later, we realised that the television remote and the television itself had two different brands displayed on them which meant that neither one belonged to one another. When we rang down to complain about it, the receptionist said that nothing could be done until the morning. So no entertainment for the night! My boyfriend also discovered strands of hair on the bathroom floor, a kettle that cuts out when it tries to boil water, a plug that doesn't work and the desk lamp didn't work. In relation to the bathroom, there was limescale in most places. The shower was good but the toilet was useless. The flush did not work properly. On several occasions, I actually considered going down to reception to use the toilet because it wouldn't even flush down water let alone human waste. With regards to food, I have never tasted anything like it. My boyfriend and I went to the restaurant and when we were presented with menu's, there were only six main courses. There wasn't much choice so we decided to retire to our room and order room service: 2 29 burger's and 2 sticky toffee pudding's with ice-cream. When the food arrived, it looked okay but when we began to eat the burger it was very dry. To me, I reckon that the burgers had been cooked in batch, stored somewhere and re-heated in a microwave which made it dry. The sticky toffee pudding was good but the meals were definitely not worth £26. At a more closer inspection of our room, there was also dust in the corner of the room which must have at least been an inch thick and when I opened the curtains in the morning, there was a large puddle of water that had seeped though the window onto the window sill. Damp was also present around the window.
Sunday had been a long day. My boyfriend and I had travelled from Bristol, been out allday and we just wanted to relax in what is meant to be a four star hotel. What made it worse was the fact that it was my boyfriends birthday and The Continental Hotel had ruined it. I was so upset. It wasn't luxurious, four star, chique or modern. The hotel is in desperate need of a make-over and a new manager that doesn't rip off customers. If you are reading this Mr Wayne [--] 'General Manager of The Continental Hotel', a letter is on it's way to you stating that I want a refund of £85. You are ripping customers off and falsely advertising the hotel. People that are thinking of staying at this hotel... THINK AGAIN, you may as well stay in a hostel.

Room Tip: Stay in a hostel, you would have a far better experience there!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gabrielle M
Ishan K, General Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a guest comment card and for your letter dated 11 March 2013 I have received today, 13 March following your recent visit to the hotel. May I respond to the points in your letter as follows -
1) The television, desk lamp and air conditioning all work, the latter to a temperature of 28 degrees.
2) The toilet flush has two buttons, one for a light flush and one for a full flush. The system works by keeping your finger depressed on the flush button.
3) I could not get the kettle to recreate the “cutting out” you described. The kettle passed its annual PAT testing in October 2012.
4) You said in your guest comment card the burgers were “awful” and the sticky toffee puddings were “ok.” In your letter you say the food from room service was “slow” and the food was “dry.” The food is cooked from fresh. The burgers are our highest selling item in the hotel.

I am sorry that I was not in the hotel to discuss your stay as I would have been pleased to show you the use of all the in-room amenities and as the room was clearly not to your satisfaction to have shown you a selection of rooms to find one that you found acceptable.

Wayne J Davis

Sandbach, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This may have been a lovely hotel ten years ago, but now everything is falling off the wall or generally broken. Heating was broken, bedside lamp was broken, towel radiator and tv were both hanging precariously off the wall. Lift was shabby too, the third floor button didn't work.

We rang to reception about the heating issue twice and finally got a little halogen heater which looked like it had been kicked around a bit. We were not asked how our stay was in the morning, so didn't bother to comment.

The only good thing I can say is that it is very close to the tube station and within walking or short taxi ride to the rugby.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Louise R
Ishan K, Front Office Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We are really sorry to hear we were not able to meet your expectations and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

We have noted your valuable comments and will make sure that this will be looked into for your future bookings. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so please be kind enough to contact the hotel Front of House Manager.

We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here for the first time this week,and as a regular visitor to Heathrow,found the hotel very good value for money.
It's a ten minute drive to the airport,and the staff,rooms and breakfast,were all very good.
Have just booked a 2nd stay,for the end of the week.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Cardifftaxis
Dear Guest,

We were pleased to read your feedback after your recent stay at The Continental Hotel Hounslow.
Thank you. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we really appreciate your feedback regarding our service & cleanliness's. We all are looking forward to welcome you back and it will be a Pleasure to say Hello on Arrival, there for please ask for me on arrival. (Ishan)

Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I spent 2 weeks in the hotel , good room , and very surprised of the restaurant since very good food
Prepared. The reception staff where great and help me with everything.
Reccomend this hotel who wants to stay in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank i1979
Ishan K, Front Office Manager at The Continental Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

so great to hear that you found our hotel great to stay because of its central location, cleanliness friendly staff and our attention to detail. Always try to go that extra mile and looks like it has been all worth it.

Looking forward to welcoming you back when perhaps you can take advantage of our great Advance booking Package especially tailored to our hotel. The sooner you book, the better deal you will get. You can contact me direct on gsm@thecontinental-hotel.com

Thank you once again for your time in writing a review, looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Sincerely

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for 4 years when returning home from holidays in the UK.

Its a great location for Heathrow (3 stops by Tube) and back into Central London for the evening or day trip.

I am always welcomed by from the Manager to the reception staff or are professional and attentive to any needs or questions you may have.

I would highly recommend this hotel for stop overs or longer breaks annd look forward to my continued trips there during the year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of a excellent standard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Dane L
Dear Guest,
I couldn't be more proud of the team at The Continental Hotel. A huge THANK YOU for giving us recognition
Delighted that you are a returning guest, and hope to see you soon

Sincerely

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed there Feb 9th for Rugby - WHAT A DISASTER!!! The Hotel has the most appalling signs going - unless you want to go to the Gym - plenty of signs for that!! No signs saying car park - & when you stop to phone them to ask where they are - watch out for CCTV cameras - stay still for 5 mins and you get a £55 fine 3 days later!! GM WAYNE DAVIES - well the response to email was bascially saying cant read a map - GREAT CUSTOMER SKILLS - NOT! Nightmare trying to order room service - says 24/7 - ends at 11 - and breakfast - what a joke - came up after an hour, stone cold - had to go down to eat - and they charge you extra for the privilege. Got offer to upgrade!!! NO WAY!!! Why would you go through that twice!!! And they say no one ever complains!!! Perhaps they dont have access to a PC!! If they did would need internet - which doesnt work as advertised in room.... Got to one of other hotels close by - you can see them clearly!!!

Room Tip: All are in need of a clean - grouting was rough!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Powys - UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night as we had early flight, only paid £50 last minute for the night.
Room - ok value for that price, room was cleanish, the bathroom was clean but no bath only a shower but all more than acceptable for the price, my wife also used the swimming pool.
Breakfast - was also included but as our flight was so early we did not have any.
Staff - were polite and helpful.
Parking - not many spaces so be prepared for a long wait for one and charges £15 for a night!
Not a hotel I would want to stay long in but overall it served its purpose after a long drive we got a good sleep before an early flight and no real complaints.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BeachHunter_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Ramada Hounslow - Heathrow East
#682 of 1,058 in London
3.5 of 5 stars 470 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Travelodge Heathrow Central

Been to The Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!