“The managements preoccupation for money leads to frustration and poor service.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Continental Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Continental Hotel to your Saves list
The Continental Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 - 31 Lampton Road, Hounslow TW3 1JA, England   |
Ranked #16 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Rooms - reasonable for £79.00 although several areas smell of rotten eggs. All second floor rooms above the busy gymnasium and thus plagued by loud pumping music until past 9.00pm.
Service - Beligerant staff and management try to impose ridiculous charges and "up front" payments. we had three rooms for three nights and they wanted to charge us a "holding fee" of £600.00 !! contingency on top of the room costs even though we'd paid for all rooms in full on arrival. Upon complaining about this the owner told me that the staff are "trained not to trust the guests" and " if any guest doesn't pay, the staff will have it taken from their wages" !! hardly a cornerstone to promote good customer relations.
Was also asked to complete a form with all credit card details, start date, end date and security code on the back for their records !!!! full access to my card details !! I don't think so.
Food - very good
Bar - Reasonable atmosphere and decor, over priced drinks.
Breakfast - continental and reasonable, breakfast staff were very good.
If the cost of business hotels in the centre of london were more reasonable I wouldn't even consider this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Definitely do not accept a room on the second floor above te gym.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I got to the hotel at about 11am, after arriving from my flight which originated in Sydney. I was told that check-in time was 2pm, and although my room was available, there would be a GBP30 charge to access it before 2pm. I declined. First time ever anyone has tried to pull that one. When I did get to my room, the bathroom was being repaired and I had to get another room. When I complained to a person who said he was the Reservations Manager about the early check-in charge, he tried to spring some excuse that this was a new policy and the person responsible was about to get the sack. What a crock. The room was also tiny even for one person, and I had to have my open suitcase on the floor because there was no room. The toilet seat was also cracked. Hounslow is a good area, and I would stay there again but at another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel some years ago and thought it good. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi as the hotel has gone downhill. The public areas are dirty. The bathroom had a broken toilet seat which meant you couldn't sit on it as it was broken in half. Lights didn't work. No aircon and no way of opening windows.

The only good point was that the food in the restauant was of very good standard, though on departure, even though there were only two if us, they tried to tried to charge us for another person's meal. I pointed out that the person's signature looked nothing like mine but they wouldn't accept this and said they would charge for the other person's meal and would get back in touch with us. Eventually they gave up on this when the waitress who served us explained that we had only had the two meals and not the other person's meal and drinks.

I am sorry this hotel has declined. It was not cheap at £120.00 each and I will not be staying again.

I don't like writing bad reviews but this is not a 4 star hotel and is not being appropriately priced in my opinion.

Room Tip: choose another hotel and pay less for better quality but if you must stay don't let them put you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is most definitely NOT a 4 star hotel - a 3 star maximum. Public areas dirty especially the public toilets at reception which were continually blocked and filthy. We booked a room for Saturday 7th Sept. When we checked in one of our two rooms had no air conditioning and no ventilation as windows did not open. They took 2 hours of sending us around on a wild goose chase trying to find rooms in Heathrow which were not available and we eventually had to come back to hotel at after 2am with two children in tow with no choice but to have to take the room with no air conditioning which was like an oven. On arrival in the room the first use of the toilet caused the flush to stick so this could not be used either. This is a shorted report of events but basically the hotel's customer service and communication skills were absolutely non-existent and it was left for us to give any ideas on what could be done with the manager unable to make any decisions herself. Don't book this hotel - it's not cheap and it's not worth what they charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Back in April, I booked tickets for an event in the area. As I live on the other side of London, I decided that rather than trying to travel across the city at a ridiculous hour, I would book a hotel and relax for the evening.

Then last week, only one week prior to the event, I received an email from the hotel stating that my booking had been cancelled quoting that I had sent an email. I did no such thing. Of course now that it was so close to the date of the event, there are NO hotels anywhere nearby for less than £100, so I will now be doing what I didn't want to do...

I tried to ring the hotel several times to resolve the issue. The first time no one answered. The second time, it was answered by a polite but clueless receptionist who tried without success to put me through to the reservations manager. After three phone calls and nearly 30 minutes on hold, I decided to leave a message for him to ring me. I never heard from him.

I rang the following day, and was again told that I was to speak to the reservations manager, but that he wasn't in on the weekend. I was given his mobile number and also left a message. I rang the mobile number and it rang, and rang, and rang. No voicemail, no answer.

On Monday of this week I rang and FINALLY spoke to the elusive reception manager, and was told they had an email from me, and were going to forward it to me to look at (it isn't in my sent folder, so how this is possible is anyone's guess). Today is Wednesday, and I’ve not received the forwarded email, or the courtesy of a phone call apologising or explaining anything. I am disgusted.

I have now given up, and I've half a mind to send them any bills that I will incur for transport on the night as a result of their shoddy reservation system.

Now having looked at some of the reviews over the past couple of days, I am actually pleased that I am not wasting my money on a night in a hotel with none of the amenities they advertise on their site (I mean really, would it be so difficult to advertise that there are issues with the pool so that expectations aren’t raised?).

I may have a late night, but I will be £100 better off, and probably more comfortable as a result of ‘missing out’ on what promised to be a disappointing experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Worthing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked based on the pool and spa facilities featured on their website. Arrived early afternoon to make full use of this. On arrival we were told it was closed. When we said we only booked because of the facilities we were told the pool and jacuzzi were "complimentary" and nothing to do with our hotel stay, let alone the cost of our stay. We had no choice but to go to our room which was basic and slightly shabby, unlike the luxury photo on the website with cotton robes and slippers (none present!!) The room contained an empty mini bar and there was not an iron as advertised on their website. The only window in the room was fixed shut so it was hot and claustrophobic.The staff ranged from polite to down right miserable but most had a problem with the English language. We were VERY reluctantly given free car parking as their only gesture towards compensating us for not being able to swim.

Room Tip: Ignore the the facilities shown on the website and phone the hotel to see if the pool is open or clo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Review based on a one-night stay:

Reception / check in - quite a wait for staff to arrive; friendly and helpful staff but reception far too small and disorganised for an alleged four-star rating.

Room - Impressive, if a little small; old Freeview tv; modern, clean room; superb shower. Quality fixtures and superb cleanliness in rooms easily best feature of the stay.

Breakfast - Awful. Cold coffee; poor choice and cheap bread. More Lidl than Sainsburys produce. Staff were helpful but chaotic; group who arrived after us told they could not accommodate four for breakfast despite a room free of empty, dressed tables. This level of poor customer service would be unacceptable to North American guests.

Spa - Pool and jacuzzi out of order (for many weeks now), so unable to comment. Website not alerting those booking to this fact, nor were guestss emailed with this information if they booked before pool closure.

Overall, the hotel has friendly staff trying very hard to please. There is a distinct lack of visible management and this means staff look disorganised. Rooms superb and breakfast severely lacking. The hotel is keen to show off it has style (with success in the bedrooms) but the included breakfast was inferior to even a basic B&B.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!