“Never again” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

If it wasnt a lads weekend i would have walked out. Bedroom dirty shower poor, no hot water. Breakfast was one egg, one sausage, one rasher of bacon. hard to tell who was staff or guests. Air craft noise unbelievable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

the room was dirty with a lot of old hair in the shower burns in sheets curtians off the hooks just left as soon as poss after a bad nights sleep

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We needed 2 rooms for a night in London and had left booking quite late. From the reviews on trip advisor we were a little worried as they seemed to be rather negative. However, i'd been looking on Late rooms and they were much more positive.
The bedrooms had recently been painted and were clean and tidy, and not too small.
Staff were friendly and 24hr reception is always a big help.
Only heard a couple of flights prior to 8am, so no complaints.
Breakfast was ok, not the biggest selection or overly exciting but for the price that we paid, felt we got good value.
Would recommend for a night, longer stays possible. Please don't be put off by the previous reviews, the hotel has since improved.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I think i must of had the worst room in this place, room 23.
Some of the staff behind reception appeared to have no clue, one of them though was helpful.
Walls were all marked/dirty/scuffed, and the curtains barely covered the window. Only one roll of toilet paper in bathroom where the shower was either really hot or cold and the lighting was poor when showering due to the full height shower doors blocking out the ceiling lights. The milk for the team facilities was out of date by 2months, like others have mentioned the pillow has horrid. Could smell the breakfast being readied in the morning which wasn't too pleasantAt least they had weetabix for breakfast and its not too far from the underground or Hounslow train station are is only good points
Ive been around Europe and EVERY hostel I have stayed in has been better than this place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I wish the person in my company who had booked the hotel for the two weeks we stayed there had read the reviews before booking us in there. When i first arrived the staff member was very welcoming passed me my key directed me as best he could to my room. As i got to my first room i stayed in, i put the key in to the lock turned it and the whole lock moved. When i went to ask the receptionist if he could send someone to the room to fix it, i was told someone would look at it in the morning. Less than half an hour later i was sitting in my room which was approx 4 ft wide by 6.5ft long with a little corridor to the door. the gentleman from the room next door entered my room with the key for his door. When i informed the staff they still said they would look at it tomorrow morning. I ended up fixing the lock myself. As for the room its self the walls were caked in dirt and stains, the bed covers looked like they had never been cleaned, the remote for the tv didn't work, the tv itself wouldn't change channel and the kettle lead didn't reach the socket which made boiling water impossible as the kettle stand was fixed to the wall. The shower was the only thing in the room that was to some sort of standard what that standard is i wouldnt know. i would like to mention there is a tescos 10 minutes away were you can buy bin bags to sleep on as i ended up doing. Before i left that week i told the staff i would like to be put in a different room as i didn't think the room was of a reasonable condition. The next week i was put into a double room which was a type of chalet room just above the function room. The room itself looked alot better than the first room apart from the same grotty type of furniture, there was a cushion on the bed which when i picked it up disintegrated. That evening around 7 pm the was a function going on the music was extremely loud so much so that i couldnt even hear the tv which id turned up to full volume at around 11.20 the music was still full blast i went and asked the staff what time the party would finish i was told 12.30 which was fine the actual time was 3.00am we were told they had a function on thursday so we stayed longer on site to finish the job we were doing just to make sure we didnt have to stay there any longer.

I would also like to add that a week after i got home my partner and i started to notice insect bites all over our bodies we got pest control in and it turns out we have bed bugs considering that is the first hotel this year ive stayed in with work i do think that this hotel has a bed bug problem

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Yorks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We booked this hotel at the last minute, knowing it wasnt going to be 'great' but we at least expected it to be CLEAN! It was so dirty, I was scared to hang my clothes on anything.
The table was badly marked and sticky, the carpets not much better and the walls were covered in drips/splashed fingerprints, spilled tea/coffee.
There was only ONE towel for the two of us. Not even a single hand towel in the bathroom, just one bath towel.
The advert stated free WiFi - there was no free wi fi whatsoever! We were freezing cold in the night as we didnt dare put the coverlet up it was badly stained and smelly.
Also the shower is very small, ideal if youre under 5ft4, I'm 5ft 6 and had to stoop to wash my hair.
Our room was very noisy as there was a function on and a lot of staff were milling around/yelling outside our window, obviously theres plane noise too which one would expect as its under the Heathrow flight path.
Breakfast was a funny affair, cook your own toast (no probs there) help yourself to tea/instant coffee/juice, the cooked breakfast wasn't very nice, but to be fair staff were really friendly and helpful
All in all, the place is filthy, noisy, the area not so desirable, parking round the back is good as its free.
And if you're white be prepared to feel like the total minority that you are there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The website is luxurious and the receptionists were friendly. But they need to wash the linens and renovate the rooms. I had a problem closing the door when i left the room, as I need to slam the door behind me as no handle to pull it close. Need a map for directions as to where the rooms are. I am sorry but I could not recommend this to my friends. Good thing about it..........you can have a toast as much as you want!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Shalimar Hotel? Share your experiences!