“Big Let Down” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hounslow B&B and Inns
Devon
“Big Let Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I booked this b&b through Booking.com and the pictures on there in no way resembled what I saw. Reception was a tiny, unwelcoming plain oblong room. I had to move my overnight bags out of the way for a gentleman to pass through. Receptionist didn't hardly converse and I wasn't told about free wi fi or access to the garden. Just the time of breakfast. We were shown to our double room (No 15) up mismatched carpeted stairs (definately not the lovely ones booking.com featured) It resembled more of a workmans back entrance. Room was adequate, but had mismatched furniture and the front window was very draughty and didn't block out the traffic noise very well, so on our first night, I didn't sleep very well. Breakfast, was again not in the rooms featured on the pics. It was in a newly decorated room with no windows or natural light, so it felt strange. Food was fine, although the fried eggs were hard, so if you want runny eggs, then ask like I did on my 2nd morning. I was horrified to witness tables being 'cleaned' down by a swipe with a dry white towel. Good points are, the young man serving breakfast was friendly and his service was good. The tube station and shops are a few minutes walk away and our bathroom was nicely done too. Believe me, I'm not too fussy as I am a well seasoned traveller, but I won't be using this hotel again, as the expectation was a big let down when I saw the reality. perhaps in another part of the building it may look lovely, but not in the one we were in and that part was definately not refurbished as advertised.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've been staying for 2 weeks at the Firs Lodge. The stay was really nice and so are the staff, in the end I was almost sorry to leave.
Upon arriving I found myself in a valley of smiles. One of the staff member explained everything I had available and gave me internet access and the password to use the service very quickly.
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet (couldn't hear a noise). The bathroom is also spacious and very clean. Bed was extremely comfortable.

Very rich and tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs,and I found the best around. With each breakfast I became more spoiled.

These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this Lodge, but my warmest congratulations to the Lodge for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have been staying here for a month and found this pleasant and comfortable....Staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are really comfortable.
Excellent breakfast every morning. Nice garden at the back.. 2 mins walk from tube station...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Staff were helpful & friendly, rooms were good and clean and the full english breakfast was excellent. Useful being close to the tube as well so east for heathrew airport and central london. Great value for money
moreover,nice garden on the back

Room Tip: first floor room 12
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at this hotel 5 nights and returned for 2 extra nights before heading back to LA. The staff were friendly; we miss breakfast served by Gurcharn every morning with a pleasant smile. Gurcharn - we wish you good luck in your studies and hope you get to see your family in Punjab soon. - Definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Request room according to your needs and number of people - I preferred the rooms with Hair dryer.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Yamunanagar, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very convenient to Underground station, so easily to travel into Central London. Room was clean and comfortable. Office staff were friendly and welcoming. Free parking facility and nice clean big garden.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Witham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Good points: location was a short drive from heathrow airport, off road parking, free WiFi, clean bathroom, clean bed linen and towels, Flat screen TV.

Bad points: owners had only a basic understanding of the English language, poor customer services and communication (we were not told of the extensive building works going on around the hotel), no bannister on the stairs, drilling and dust outside our room (I have a small baby so this was unacceptable), thick dust and a knee support bandage found under our bed, cluttered, cheap and non-matching furniture, noisy boiler into the night, fridge in room was oversized and not required, electric radiator was on the floor and not on wall brackets, no fire regulations or assembly point guide on back of door, breakfast tables were poorly set with no cutlery, we were not asked how we would like our eggs cooked, stingy portions, we were almost thrown a knife and fork when we pointed out that were none on the table, no high chair offered, indian music on tv was blaring out throughout breakfast. W

When we complained to the owner he spoke over us and did not listen to our constructive critism, he argued that the hotel was safe and ready to receive guests when it clearly is not. I requested a part refund and I was given £30. I accepted this based on the good points. The owner told us to return in two weeks when the building is fully renovated but we will not be returning ever!

Room Tip: dont stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Firs Lodge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!