“helpful staff, subpar rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Firs Lodge Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   289 Bath Road, Hounslow TW3 3DB, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hounslow B&B and Inns
Illinois
“helpful staff, subpar rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

my family and I stayed for two days at this B&B. Whilst the beds and pillows weren't the best, and the bathrooms were quite small, the one manager was extremely helpful during our travels. We planned to take a train to Paris on the trip and he was able to make breakfast early at our request.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The hotel is easy to find and 5 minutes walk from the hounslow west underground station. The staff is very helpful and welcomed warmly. The full
English breakfast is very nice. The room is comfortable and it gives a value for money. I would recommend this B & B to other travellers as a good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011 via mobile

Looks nothing like the photos on the website, and far too overpriced for the average accommodation it offers. Good location from tube station (5-10 minute walk) but this is the only good point.

First room we were lead to you has to walk through the dining room to get to.. Literally tables n chairs right outside the door! No chance for a lie in come 7am when guests and staff start to pile in.
So we moved to another room, cleanliness not that bad, but the room STANK of cigarettes and marijuana, which they'd tried to crudely cover up with air freshener. The freshener quickly wore off but the cigarette smoke stayed strong all night, it made me feel sick, the bedsheets and pillows reeked of it (I would put money on the staff smoking in there just before we entered) ... Worse was we found ash scattered on the sheets, in the bed and all over the floor.

Tired and not wanting to go back to the 'dining room' room, we went to sleep. Well.. I say sleep. I got NO sleep. There was this agonisingly loud CLICKING noise that kept going off all night.. Every 30 secs or so.. I guessed it was some sort of thermostat? But despite looking I couldn't find the source of the click. It was outside the door but they were paper thin, and this noise was so so loud.. It kept me awake the entire night I couldn't do a thing to block it out.

What with the smelly sheets, the ash, the tapping from hell.. And the fact they had a kettle in the room with packets of sugar n tea n coffee... But NO MILK! And no fridge to keep your own milk in, we couldn't wait to leave.

Do not stay here. It advertises itself as a hotel. It is a run down bnb

• Stayed March 2011
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Ideal loaction for travelling to heathrow. Didnt have trouble finding the guest house as it was a 5 minute walk from the underground station. Good comfortable room. The full english breakfast was lovely and the staff were very helpful. Overall a pleasant and comfortable bed & breakfast

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

It is a dirty filthy place not worthy of being classed as a hostel, let alone a hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

After reading all the bad reviews, I arrived with an open mind. Check-in was fairly painless, other than the hotel owner asking to pay by cash or he'd impose a card surcharge, but this was okay as I was able to get cash later when I went out for dinner.

I was shown to a small room with en-suite facilities. The TV was a large old-style one, with just channels 1 to 5 (no freeview, cable or Sky, as advertised on their site) and it buzzed so loudly that you had to turn the volume up quite considerably.

I was able to get some work done on the small desk area with the kettle on once I'd cleared the stuff out of the way. Local shops meant there was a plethora of indian and other food places around to choose from.

When my head hit the pillow at 11:30pm, the guest nextdoor through the thin partition wall decided it was a good time to watch TV. After an hour of enduring it, I complained at reception, twice, who asked the guest to turn it down so I could get some sleep.

During the night I probably heard every person going up the stairs, every key going into every lock, and every other noise. I had possibly the worst night's sleep I've ever had.

In the morning, breakfast was disappointing and unappetising: two sausages, one bacon, cheap beans and a thoroughly-fried egg, cheap orange juice and very bitter tea. The only good thing about breakfast was the toast - yummy Lakeland butter and good quality marmalade.

On check-out I was told that I had to pay, even though I did it the night before. Fortunately I was able to produce a receipt to show that I had actually already paid.

The only good things going for this place are that it's cheap, it's available, and it's close to the tube station and other shops.

To run through the facilities advertised on their site:

* Coffee Maker - no, you get a kettle and some sachets.
* 27" TV with Cable - TV yes, but no cable.
* Hairdryer - didn't see one.
* Iron & Ironing Board - yes, down the hall.
* Full Fire Certificate - didn't see one but I did see a complex fire system installed.
* Sky Satellite TV - didn't find it.
* Tea/Coffee - yes, kettle and sachets.
* TV - Yes, again
* Free WiFi internet access - no

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Booked because it was easy access to Twickenham Rugby Stadium and we travelled down to watch a game. The website we booked the hotel through showed pictures of decent clean rooms and a picture of a small hotel which also looked clean from outside (didnt research the hotel properly - MISTAKE) When we pulled up we parked next to an old convertible which looked like it had been abandoned there for 50years, its roof had mould on it. We decided to go in anyway. The man behind the desk spoke broken English and had our name down wrong on the booking too. After much confusion he got a young girl to take us to our rooms, she led us down a dirty, damp corridor and out into the garden, well i say 'garden'... yard. Then took us over to the shed and said this is your room. I was horrified. Although once inside the bed seemed properly made and had what appeared to be clean white sheets on it. The issue lay in the fact that as a feeble woman i could have pushed our door in (not safe at all), and the bathroom was smaller than the average cupboard. The lights didnt work either and it was also freezing.
We rang to book a hotel room ina well known hain of hotels and as soon as we had a room available we ran back to the car, leaving the room key on the front desk, didnt even bother to ask for money back.
Dont book to stay here, its dirty, unsafe and the parking is on a small open carpark which is out the front on the main road.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Firs Lodge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!