“Great Hotel, good food, reasonable location” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great West Road 449, Hounslow TW5 0BU, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, good food, reasonable location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in the hotel using our BW reward points just before travelling to Las Vegas for our wedding. We were greeted with a wedding card and an upgraded room, very welcome and appreciated. There is a local pub that specialises in Indian food, didn't try it but looked good. the hotel restaurant was great, lovely food. Only downside is the £20 taxi fare to the airport but all in all we would stay here again

Stayed May 2014
SK-PGH, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for leaving positive feedback following your stay at Park Grand London Heathrow.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our hotel to be "very welcoming" and you that we could make you feel "appreciated". This is exactly what the Park Grand London Heathrow is all about, we are a team who pride ourselves on creating that warm home-from-home experience and look to exceed all of our guests' expectations.

Thank you once again for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Grand London Heathrow in the near future.

Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel such good value .everything I needed including room service. Comfy bed ...10 minute walk to station or £15 taxi to Heathrow. Staff were really helpful. I had a single room which was small but really sweet. Bathroom was clean and modern. Thank you .

• Stayed July 2014
SK-PGH, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow, responded to this review, July 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be "really helpful".

I can assure you that your comments will not only motivate our team but also encourage them to maintain and improve on the service you have come to expect.

Thank you once again for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Grand London Heathrow in the near future.

St Mary's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This Hotel represents all the best qualities one is looking for when travelling and looking for a secure, comfortable, stylish ,clean and highly engaged , professional staff.
The layout is simple but modern, the rooms comfortable and practical. In fact I have stayed here twice before travelling from Heathrow, it is always quiet and ideal.
I have stayed at closer hotels in the main drag to the actual airport and usually they are overcrowded , noisy and not managed up to this personal standard. So highly recommended and I will definitely be returning

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Wow! What a lovely review.

We are delighted to hear that you found Park Grand London Heathrow to be "comfortable, stylish and clean". It is also most rewarding to read that you found our front of house team to be "highly engaged and professional". This is exactly what the Park Grand London Heathrow is all about. We are a team who pride ourselves on creating that warm home-from-home experience and look to exceed all of our guests' expectations.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful words, we can assure you that your comments will not only motivate our team but also encourage them to maintain and improve on the service you have come to expect.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Grand London Heathrow in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Once found every experience at this hotel made for a very comfortable and pleasurable overnight experience. The room provided all expected and was very modern. Like most London hotels at any sort of reasonable price the room while not overly small was not spacious. The bathroom was very pleasing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are especially happy to know that our spacious and well equipped rooms made a great impact on you.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Grand London Heathrow in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed one night on business it's not at Heathrow mind you but about 20 mins down the road, but big really comfy rooms with wifi, water, tea etc and bug towels! I hate hotels with silly wee bath towels so love when I get the big fluffy ones...simple things but such a difference!

I had pizza meal at night wasn't amazing but was good enough and I felt the meals really good value for money. Staff all cheery and helpful. Breakfast all you need to start a day.

Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
SK-PGH, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay with us at Park Grand London Heathrow.

We were delighted to learn that our winning team surpassed your expectations. Your comment that our “staff were all cheery and helpful” is exactly what the Park Grand London Heathrow is all about. We are a team who pride ourselves on creating that warm home-from-home experience and look to exceed all of our guests' expectations. We shall ensure that your kind comments are passed onto all those concerned.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Best Western Park Grand Hotel in Hounslow, London was my last stop in my month-long excursion to the UK.

Leaving the Naseby Hotel in Kettering (having stayed there for quite a while as there were no vacancies left in downtown Northampton over the Christmas holidays), I caught the train at 11 am and enjoyed the English countryside en route to St.Pancras station.

The hustle and bustle of finding train connections and the hoards of commuters was a little daunting, as the last time I rode a bus was when I was a kid in northern British Columbia. Luckily, everyone I asked for direction was glad to give help, despite my apparent hard-to-understand ‘Canadian accent’.

I eventually made my way to a stop in Hounslow. From there I hauled my small-wheeled luggage over the cobblestone streets, having not a clue where to go. I stopped at quite a few establishments for directions or a taxi, but was refused help, for some reason. After a mile or so (at least) I saw the hotel in the distance, and finally made it to the foyer a little after 4pm, sweat dripping from my auburn brows and the small wheels on my luggage in tatters (next time I’ll be sure to buy luggage with large wheels).

I wasn’t exactly impressed with the once-over I got when I approached the front desk. I don’t go around judging others by their attire or what they sport atop their heads, and so I don’t expect it to be done to me. But it was. Apparently my poor Canadian livery of hiking boots, unstylish jacket and baseball cap cast a rather gruesome pall on the visage of the establishment. Tsk tsk. Haute couture.

The hotel's accoutrements were far better than other Best Wests I've stayed at, with the price about 30% cheaper than your dumpy Canadian bare-bones version. So in that respect it was a 'deal'. I also liked the heated bathroom floor, comfy bed, and the large double shower. The general layout was clean and pleasant to the eye.

However, those positive attributes are over-shadowed by the negative aspects I encountered.

To address ‘minor’ nuisances first, I’ll state that the close proximity to Heathrow meant a jet was going directly overhead the hotel every few minutes, non-stop. I’m sure this doesn’t bother most people, but for those-like me-who have inner-ear problems, this is indeed an issue because you can feel the vibration and air-pressure (the bathroom fan would go squirrelly with each passing jet). Needless to say I did not get very much rest.

Other ‘minor’ issues? Well, kudos to the pleasant, prompt cleaning staff, but it is up to management to implement a ‘thorough’ cleaning every month or so, to remove the ‘unnoticeable’ filth that collects in corners, nooks and crannies, and generally anywhere a ‘Hoover’ can’t touch with a quick pass. Then there’s the loose screws and laminate here and there, or cracked tiles, etc. I notice stuff like that, and I’m sure others do as well.

And the food:
Well…kudos to the continental breakfast spread. Best I’ve seen at a Best Western. But the service left much to be desired. Again, I can only assume I was being judged by my appearance, as I can honestly see no other reason for such shoddy treatment of a paying customer.

I was ignored for over 15 minutes before I told the waiter I’d go to the kitchen and make my own tea, as he was so busy fawning over 3-piece Armani suits that came in 10 minutes after I did. I then got a pot of tea plopped down in front of me, sloshing all over the table cloth, and had to wait another 5 minutes so I could ask for some condiments for it. The last time I enjoyed that sort of behaviour, an ex was trying in vain to make me jealous.

Despite that less-than savoury experience in the culinary department, I thought I’d give the restaurant a chance to redeem themselves. They didn’t. Saturday night I ordered a rare steak, and got it well-done with no replacement or apology. I left a 40% tip just to see if they had a conscience for the next night.

Nope. I ordered the rack of lamb, which was small-portioned but tasty. I had to ask for mint-sauce, having assumed that it’s a given to serve such a condiment with rack of lamb--it was some white creamy concoction that had a hint of mint in it, and I didn’t care for it at all. Next on the chopping block was the potato ‘mash’—still frozen in the center.
I let a 10% tip for the lacklustre efforts. In its stead, I found a lovely little kebob shop across the highway, and that’s where I got the remainder of my nutritional requirements.

The other minor annoyance that comes to mind is the school-girl-like gossip, snickering and looks by the restaurant staff, which was—I can only assume—wrought about by my unorthodox and ‘unfashionable’ attire. Well….lah-dee-dah. There’s nothing quite as amusing as tadpoles swimming in an ocean of sharks, making fun of other tadpoles. I had just received yet another example of British ‘class distinction’. Yay!

In old backwoods Canada, we call that behaviour ‘prejudice’, ‘discrimination’, and general ignorance and immaturity. Brits have been doing it for over two millennia so it’s as right as rain to them.

I was quoted 45 pound per night when I had called from the Best West Naseby in Kettering. I arrived 4pm Friday, January 10th, 2014, and my flight back to Vancouver was on the 14th of January.

Saturday morning was brilliant sunshine, and I walked to the train station to make my way out to Windsor Castle. Half way there, the train had electrical problems and was decommissioned. I spent the remainder of the day perusing the internet to find bus tours for my last few days, weighing company and tour reviews. I decided to go with Goldentours and was not disappointed.

When I decided on two tours (Sunday, January 12th was Warwick Castle, Cotsolds, Stratford on Avon and Oxford University, while Monday was Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Roman Bath and Pump House) I hit the ‘Proceed to Payment’ button and was---REFUSED.
“Bank declined—you have insufficient fund to pay for this tour.”

WHAT?!!

I had put $1000 Cdn. on a Visa card, SPECIFICALLY for tours on my final days in the UK.

The ONLY expenditure on it was a 20 pound rail ticket from Kettering to St. Pancras in London.

I arrived 4pm, Friday, January 10th, and checked out at 5:45am Tuesday, January 14th.

My Visa card WAS DRAINED.
All the $1000 (minus the 20 pound rail ticket) was appropriated by the Park Grand.

I was quoted 45 pound per night, for 4 nights.

All my attempts to rectify the matter were sloughed off as if my opinion didn’t matter, even when I threatened a lawsuit or to call the local constabulary.

I then saw on the bill that they ALSO charge me for January 9th, even though I didn’t arrive at the hotel till after 4pm January 10th.

When I had called the Visa company to find out what happened to the $1000, the woman said that the first expenditure was the Kettering rail ticket of 20 pound ($36 Cdn), and ALL the rest were made out to ‘Shaftsebury Premier Lodging’, in HOUNSLOW, LONDON.

When I broached the receptionist about this, she said she never heard of any such hotel. I was indeed, mistaken, or must have “forgotten” what hotels I had stayed at.

Miffed at talking to brick walls, I walked around the hotel and saw in the parking lot a van with signage on its side: “Shaftsebury Premier Lodging”. I went back inside and apprised the clerk of the issue, but to no avail.

It seemed to me that once they had my money (by any means possible), it was now THEIRS, and too bad for me.

A thousand dollars Cdn. for 4 nights?
Is this the Savoy? The Ritz?

I could have easily given this hotel 4.5 stars, even with the so-so cuisine, service, and noise issues.

But to do what they did and then walk away when they OWE me an explanation, waiting till I am leaving back to Canada to spring their game upon me?

I would give a minus score if I could.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I travel to Heathrow area regularly on business and this was first time I have stayed at Park Grand Hotel. I wil be booking with them in future Room was ideal an all staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was als very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be "extremely pleasant and helpful".

Management.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow? Share your experiences!