“The staff are great,but the food not so good” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great West Road 449, Hounslow TW5 0BU, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Cumbria
“The staff are great,but the food not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have just returned from staying at this hotel for four nights on business.
The hotel is very nice from the lobby,and the rooms are nice enough too. The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough.
Like the previous reviewer mentioned,the rooms are very noisy,I have stayed in other airport hotels closer to the airport with a lot less noise.
The main letdown of the hotel,is the food. Charging almost £12 for a breakfast,I would expect a decent meal. The ingredients used are cheap and not particularly well cooked. On the last day,the buffet was cancelled without explanation,and the chef prepared the breakfasts to order. I think this may have been due to the lack of guests eating breakfast,which isnt really acceptable when people have paid for a buffet.
On my first nite I also ate in the restaurant due to arriving late,and the meal again was not great despite charging a lot for the meal.
The hotel staff were a bit stingy on replacing toiletries etc. If the hotel tried not to be so tight in certain areas such as ingredients for meals,complimentary toiletries it would make for a lot better hotel.

• Stayed January 2013

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family (my wife and 6 month old daughter) and I travelled from New Zealand arriving at Best Western Plus Hotel on the 8th Jan 2013. We had booked the hotel through "wotif" website.

We specifically booked this hotel due to the fact on the website it advertised the airport to hotel shuttle bus service so we knew we did not have to pay extra for taxi's.

We had travelled from Auckland for 9 hours to Singapore and then travelled 13.5 hours from Singapore to Heathrow. When we arrived at Heathrow we searched for almost 45 mins to find where our bus transfer was, only to be told by a taxi driver waiting on his pick up that our hotel did not have a shuttle service. He advised that we call the hotel. By this time our daughter was crying the place down due to being over tired and also being carted all around the airport trying to find the non-existenet service. We called the hotel on multiple occassions for approx 20 mins and the calls where ringing out. We made the decisition to get a taxi to the hotel which cost £22:50.

When arriving at the hotel we were told their systems had been down during the day and they had no records of our booking. I had to prove our booking through our booking confirmation before they would process our room. They also had no baby cot ready for us as requested also. We waited in the lobby for approx 30 mins whilst this was being sorted out. We eventually got our room.

The lifts at the hotel are up 3 large marble steps which was a little odd. Our luggage consisted of 2 x 24 kg suit cases a pram in 2 parts a car seat and 3 items of large hand luggage. I had to make 3 trips back and forth to the lobby to carry our luggage up as well as trying to console a crying baby and NOT ONCE was i offered any help or the service of a porter.

Once in the room I called the reception to see if they could send up 2 large empty glasses which I was told I would be charged £5 for this service so I went to the bar myself to collect them, free of charge.

I asked the staff behind the counter why they did not answer the phone when I was calling from the airport and they just said they were busy however when we arrived the place was empty. I also asked about the shuttle bus that was advertised and I was told that the reception attendant would have to speak to the manager about it as they do not have this service even though it is advertised on the website and he would come back to me that night about a refund on our taxi. This did not happen !!

The following morning I went to the front desk to ask what was happening about the taxi refund and I was told by the same attendant there was nothing they were prepared to do on this matter. I asked to speak to the manager of the hotel, whom was actually standing on the front counter and could easily hear what the complaint was however chose to ignore our conversation.

The receptionist pointed at the manager at the desk and when I introduced myself I was told that "she (that manager) knew of the sitaution and there was nothing they could do for us ". I told the manager of the situation at the airport and the internet advertisment of the shuttle bus and she told me to forward the information onto her and she will sort it out in due course. I had already done this the night before with the receptionist and I had shown him on the website where it was advertised. I told the manager this was wholly unacceptable and that I would be complaining directly to Best Western. At this point the manger then offered us a complimentary taxi to the airport and I was told that the web site should not say shuttle service and that they would get it taken off the site. I asked about the refund for the first taxi fare and I was told she would have to speak to her senior manager and see if they could refund the charge. I then went to my room and had to make another 3 trips downstairs to the lobby with my cases and once again no help was offered !!! I was going to bring my glasses down from the previous evening and ask for a £5 delivery charge but I did not !!

It is now the 12th Jan and still the website advertises the non-existent shuttle service and I have also recieved an email from the manager telling me that they provided a complimentary taxi for us and if we require further assistance then please get in touch. So they are not willing to refund the taxi fare .

Basically we arrived to a non-existent shuttle service as advertised , which is to my mind is faudulent. We were then told our booking was not processed however they told me that the system was down that day however I had made the booking 3 days earlier , and then we had to carry all our luggage and screaming baby around the hotel without any help from staff, and ontop of all that the manager refusing to help until told we would complain to the Best Western direct.

In my opinion this is by far the worst customer service I have EVER received at a hotel supposedly of a high calibre. I would STRONGLY URGE future customers of this hotel NEVER to book here. If you are thinking of booking here please go buy a tent and a bus ticket. As this hotel not only falsely advertises but it blantantly wants to keep ripping off customers.

What should have happened was a full re-fund of taxi fares and a bottle of bubbly sent to the room for any inconvenience caused by either :

No bus service as advertised.
Not having our booking.
Not answering the telephone for 20 mins with an empty reception area.
No help with baggage.
Being stranded at the airport with a 6 month old baby.

I will let the manager pick which one she would think a PAYING GUEST should be responsible for.

We will never stay in another Best Western Hotel again !!!! DISGUSTING !!!

SHAMBLES OF A HOTEL , SHAMBLES OF SERVICE AND EVEN WORSE MANAGEMENT !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

To be honest the only reason I had to come here was due to there sister hotel 'kensington town house' supposedly had a bad boiler on top floor. The only thing good about this upgrade here was the free taxi and the decent shower.
Room wasn't clean in my opinion, the window was cracked, the curtain had holes in it, the space to the left of my bed cupboard was filthy. And we had the constant sound of planes flying very close from 6:00 in the morning.
The shower was decent, and big.
The walk to the train station took a lot longer than the 7 minutes told by receptionist.

Room Tip: makes no difference i don't think, the planes are very loud.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I picked this hotel from late rooms after missing the last available rooms at the Heathrow Hilton. It looked good and had good reviews about the rooms and as I was stuck it seemed OK.

I booked two rooms for my wife and I and our daughter, who was flying back to Japan after a family Christmas. The hotel, service and room were absolutely fine and I have no complaints whatsoever in that respect. However I do take issue and did make known my dissappointment at the time with regards to breakfast, which was completely ignored

The breakfast was extremely expensive at £49.34 for three. It was not by any means fresh or of a standard that could be associated with a hotel of this standing. I would suggest that someone within the management team sorts this out.

It was clearly apparent that all the choices on offer had been sat in the buffet for some time and were by no means fresh. For the price charged I would expect the breakfast to have been freshly prepared. The tea was stewed and came from a large pot and was undrinkable! I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Bath Road, a short distance away, and their buffet breakfast is exceptional in comparison and half the price!!

When I paid in the restaurant I queried the cost as my wife only had two slices of toast and some fruit, I was informed that there was only one charge!

I will not be staying here again and will opt for the Premier Inn in preference if the Hilton is fully booked! If you do stay McDonalds is a short distance away and well worth a visit!

Room Tip: Its just off the flight path for the north runway so an early call from a 747 is a certainty
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Booked in here at very short notice due to a cancelled flight but was very pleasantly suprised. This hotel is great. Got a good rate even when most hotels around were fully booked. This hotel has just been refurbished to a very high quality. i had a standard double which was fine. Huge bed, modern decor, all the usual features.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Local area is fine - there are a couple of pubs, usual take-aways, and a few shops.

Location is a bit strange, too far from london and not that close to Heathrow but definitely worth the taxi fare if you can get a good rate. Taxi from the airport was £25 but only £15 for the return when i booked through the hotel. still much cheaper than the rates i was quoted close to the airport and lovely room.

No problem with road or aircraft noise.

Tip: book your taxi to the airport through the hotel. you get a good rate and friendly driver.

Tip2: hotel info says it is 'minutes from Heathrow' - this is a little misleading. it is probalby 40 minutes from Heathrow during the day. still minutes i guess but the hotel info suggests it is closer than it really is.

Room Tip: go for high floor at the back of the hotel - away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Park Grand London Heathrow is one of about a dozen hotels in London in Best Western's Park Grand/Shaftesbury group. It is easily the worst located. The hotel itself is entirely average, the rooms are ok, the food is ok, the furnishings are ok. None of those features are great or terrible. The location is really bad though.

The problem with the location is that it is not connected to anything. The hotel is not in Heathrow, it is in Osterley - a small and unimpressive part of London next to Hounslow. Even Hounslow is not much to speak of, the facilities in Hounslow are quite poor. The hotel is about 7 minutes walk to Osterley underground station on the Picaddilly Line. The 'about' is because crossing the main road is quite difficult - to get to the station requires crossing a main road for which there is no scheduling for pedestrians so it is just about timing it right when the traffic is low.

One of the two main roads at that crossing is the Great West Road. This is the major thoroughfare in this part of London and is constantly busy. The sound of emergency vehicles racing down the road is frequent.

As Osterley is right under the flight path to Heathrow, the planes fly over the hotel without a huge amount of space to spare. From exactly 0600 planes roar overhead at a distance of about 2 minutes apart. For those who enjoying spotting from below there is a good view, for the rest of us it is a reminder of the marvel of air travel and its attendant social costs.

As the hotel is very badly located, there is nothing else around. A couple of takeaway services across the road exist and there is a cash point next to the takeaways. It is a really barren and dispiriting part of town.

Having said all that about the location, the rooms are perfectly ok. Cleanliness is fine, layout is decent, the age of the furnishings is reasonable, the bed is comfortable, the shower works. There isn't really much to complain about - nothng amazing, nothing disasterous.

The restaurant is ok. The burger option comes with a very small side of chips. The curry options are well flavoured by a chef who clearly knows subtle spicing. Breakfast is ok, the standard hotel fare not done as badly as some.

The staff are variable. Those in the restaurant were uniformly pleasant and engaging. The two this customer dealt with on the front desk were less engaging, one being really quite frosty and another being really quite slow-witted. The one member of the cleaning staff this customer ran into was really quite delightful.

This customer also had the misfortune of being over-charged, an issue being dealt with through Best Western HQ.

Overall, if this hotel is cheaper than competitors then fine but do consider the location and whether that saving really exists.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great place to stay. Rooms are new and comfortable, food in the restaurant is good and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Conveniently located for Twickenham as we were there to watch a rugby match. Lots of free parking too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Grand London Heathrow? Share your experiences!