“Slightly disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
England, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

No AC, water pressure was too weak, had to ask for an extra fan, room was left hot before arrival, windows couldn't open because of health and safety, toilet flush used to get clogged and the taxi company they have a contract with could not understand English very well in the daytime. These are constructive criticisms to help you improve. I would rather pay more than £50 and get all the basics than pay £50 and be worried about things going wrong.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel looks more modern than it actually is. The main hub of the hotel is surrounded by outer buildings which make up the accommodation area. It has ample parking and is reasonably secure. There is a car parking charge as some people have already mentioned but it is reasonable at £5 per night and also refundable if you have breakfast and an evening meal at the hotel.

Check in was fast and efficient and the guy on reception was really helpful. The rooms are spacious and they are a bit dated but they are clean and comfortable enough. Everything you need for a good stay is provided and everything works as it should do. There is no Wi Fi in the rooms but you can get a signal in the main hotel area.

The evening meal was actually very good and served in a timely and pleasant manner. Prices were quite good too. When you are sat in the restaurant area you can see that this hotel is older than its more modern looking exterior. Intricate glasswork and its equestrian history become more apparent. Yes it does look a bit old fashioned and it might be in need of a bit of TLC but then its hard to keep a building like this in true character without spoiling it.

Breakfast was pretty good and with a decent selection of food. I only stopped over the one night but I would stay there again without any problem. It is in a busy location and under a flight path of aircraft but it is not as noisy as I had expected. Seriously, its worth taking a look at and ideal for business travellers with fairly good rates too. Quirky and different.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and the value for money in such a convenient location is not matched by any other hotel. There is a faint smell of smoke in the room which I think comes from people smoking outside the room but the general cleanliness was good, the room was quite spacious and the breakfast was really good and also included in the price. Parking costs are very reasonable at £5 per night and offset against any meal eaten in the restaurant (provided the cost of the meal is over £15) which in this area is very good value. I will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Paderborn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here for the Army v Navy match at Twickenham this year as it was a good deal when booked on Booking.com.
We arrived about an hour before check in as we had flown in from Germany but we were unable to get into the room due to it not being ready. We were however able to leave our luggage locked away whilst we went to get a meal. Upon getting into the room we found it to be clean but very dated. Not a problem as we were just using it as a crash pad for 2 nights. My big issue with the room was the shower. I think standing under a bottle of water would have been more powerful. And it seemed to be a problem for our friends also. And although there was a kettle and cups, there was only enough milk / coffee for one cup each. Hubby went to reception at 7am on the saturday morning to ask for more and was given a bundle and told by the manager to hide it as the chamber maids will take it away again if they find it! So if you like more than one brew in the morning, take note!
Breakfast on Saturday morning was fine. Included in the price was the full English. Sunday morning was however another story! They quite obviously couldnt cope with the amount of people as there were no tables and people were waiting around for quite a while. Also they had run out of eggs, sausages and beans by the time we got to the hot plate so we had to wait for the chef to bring out fresh. Which he did.....but only 8 eggs and a few sausages. Which meant the people in front of us (who quite honestly had a mountain of food each) had pretty much taken it all again!
My overall feeling was that for the size of the hotel it just didnt have enough seating areas in the bar and breakfast room. And just an observation - if you struggle to sleep then dont expect any here. Its directly under the path for Heathrow and VERY, VERY noisy!
I dont think we'll use it again next year and would probably rather stay at the Premier Inn, Heathrow!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Nottingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Since my last visit to this hotel the room allocated to me had been refurbished. It was situated in one of the single story motel type room with your own covered parking space. The room had been furnished nicely and the new bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The only con was the curtains spoilt the look as they were not top quality so at this time of year let in too much light. The shower was a good size. Good size flat screen Tv and Internet access in the main building. Had dinner during my stay and the salmon was lovely but the curry the second night did not have much taste. Breakfast was help yourself and was fine. The staff are very polite and helpful. The planes do fly over quite low but I was more fascinated than annoyed by them, and although they went over the hotel in the evening in the morning they were further across.on a different flight path. My stay was quite positive and I would stay again in a refurbished room as it is convenient for my visit whilst on business.

Room Tip: Room five is a refurbished room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
bournemouth UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I booked this room for me & my husband only 2 weeks in advance so £65 for the room (on a Saturday) including breakfast was a really good price. The photos looked ok too. We've often passed this hotel as we have family in the nearby area but never thought we'd end up staying here. Ok, now for the not so good bit (I know why we've never given it a second glance in the past) Talk about back to the 1970s. The main building looked ok but the rooms are at the back. There is a single level layout of rooms that reminded me of a bad American Motel. At the end was a 3 storey block (they called it The Wings) - definitely not of the posh Wing variety. Our room had 2 single beds that were very lumpy & bumpy. There was a tiny tv that was incredibly outdated. Even with the volume up full, it was almost impossible to hear. Ok, we never spend much time in hotel rooms but it is nice to have facilities that work. The general look of the rooms is dated and in need of a major refurbishment. The first things I do in hotel rooms is check the bathroom, the shower and the sheets on the bed. Again the bathroom was dated but the shower did work well and if you didn't pay close attention to the corners of the room it was ok. There was a smell in the room that reminded me of the days when smoking was allowed in rooms. The best thing I can say about our room is that the white sheets were very clean. Sleep quality wasn't great as the beds weren't that comfortable and, I know this is no fault of the hotel, but it is directly under the flight path for arrivals into Heathrow Airport so we were wide awake at 6am. We showered and packed up and went for breakfast about 8am (included in the price) The main building and rooms also had that "weird" smell about them and I wanted to go around opening all the windows. We walked to the breakfast area and it was self service - which I have no problem with. I went for a roll with butter and a croissant with jam. The rolls were part baked (under cooked) and the croissant was the chewiest I've ever had - definitely not fresh. There were about 7 yogurt pots but they were a brand I have never heard of and I had no idea of what they were. My husband had cornflakes from a dispenser (no, they weren't kellogs) and he then went to get some bacon, egg, sausage and beans. He said it was ok but nothing outstanding. We checked out at 8.30am. Not really much more I can say. If you don't want much for your money then this hotel is just about ok. It was close to public transport but can't really say much else good about it.

Room Tip: Sorry, don't think I could offer any advice about choosing a good room :-(
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed for one night last month. Everything about this hotel is looking very tired and over used. The room was something out of the seventies and the furnishings reflected it. The T.V. was very old with hissing reception, the bar and dining room seemed to have 'that musky' smell (a bit like when your hoover bag needs changing). They try to change you an additional £5.00 per night to park your car when in fact you can leave it a the front of the hotel for nothing. I found the reception staff somewhat standoffish and thought they were doing you a favour. The hotel is in dire need of a re-fit to drag it into the 21st century. I won't be returning as what I paid was a clear rip off.

Room Tip: If you want a nice room then wait till they have an entire re-fit.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Master Robert Hotel? Share your experiences!