“Functional, hard working, past its prime” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
St Louis, MO
“Functional, hard working, past its prime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Room: standard and all was working right. Bed is very comfortable and all clean. Carpet and furniture old; TV is old CRT and overall it is needing immediate renovation to stay a top quality hotel. I was told that a new owner will make 40 mil pound investment.
Bath is still using old fixtures that and the shower curtain bar is the straight type that keeps a tight width in bathtub/ shower. Many have the curved type or shower rod for more width. Toiletries were good and not making skin feel dry.
Breakfast in dining room: very good quality and selection. Bfast in Club Lounge: very simple offering but a quick option to avoid walking half mile. BTW, elevators often under repair, and always slow or very full.
I got the upgrade with breakfast, internet and club. Snacks were average, good cheese/ crackers and soft drinks. The wine is weak and a bit nasty, but free flowing. I took it since I got a good room rate but overall, an average rate makes me think twice about staying here. GBP125-150 is about avg I think and if there is no other good choice, then I will stay here.

Service at breakfast and reception was attentive and quick. Arrived to a juice or champagne. All staff was working hard and happy to greet me in halls. For this level of service, and a very good bed, I gave 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for taking the time to review the hotel. I am delighted that you found the staff welcoming and happy. It is a pleasure to confirm that the new owner is committed to a major renovation of the guest bedrooms, corridors and Lobby. The bedrooms will have flat-screen TVs and new furniture; giving a more spacious and modern feel to the rooms. I hope you will return to experience the ‘new’ hotel for yourself.

1,385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I received notification that my United Mileage Plus award miles were due to expire due to lack of activity .Having close to 40,000 and with no flights planned for a few months I decided to take their advice and book a room with one of their partner hotels in order to earn a few points and keep my membership intact.

As I like to watch planes landing and taking off I decided to book what was advertised as a 'Plane Spotter' package at the Renaissance, Heathrow Airport which promised an interrupted view over the airport.
When I checked in at the reception desk I was allocated Room 1218 on the 1st floor. I queried this as when I stayed before on one of these packages the Plane Spotter rooms have always been on the top floor which obviously have the best views. I was informed by a very unhelpful receptionist that the hotel was full and that this was the only room available and that it did look out over the airport. I pointed out to her that I could have booked a room at the normal rate and requested an airport view and would most likely have received it to which she replied that I had parking included in my rate which I told her I didn't need.
Also when I asked her to ensure that my Reward points were credited to my United Mileage Plus account she did not seem to understand and said she did not have the details of this despite my having this as my preferred partner on the Marriott Rewards scheme.

I was on the verge of cancelling the booking and going back home when she asked it I wanted to speak to the manager which I told her I would.
The manager was fairly helpful when I explained the situation to him. He told me that the 3rd floor rooms were 'Club Rooms' and were more expensive. I explained that when I booked online through the Marriott website there was no mention of this, just the option of booking the Plane Spotter package (which I assumed meant one of these rooms). He apologized and agreed to charge me the standard room rate rather than the Plane Spotter rate. He asked he receptionist to try to find me a room on the 2nd floor but there were none available so I had to keep the original room.

This is quite a large hotel so it was quite a way from reception to the room and when I got there with my bag the key card would not work so I had to walk all the way back to get it sorted out. I bumped into the manager on my return who again was apologetic and arranged for a porter to accompany me back to the room to ensure that I could get in.

The room itself was very dated. The furniture is old and dark with an old style TV in a big cabinet. In order to watch the TV you have to open the cabinet doors which only open out at right angles to the screen. This means that not only does this mean that the only place you can watch TV is from the bed but if you want to walk past it you have to close the doors first.

The view was also very disappointing. I had earlier informed the receptionist that I believed that trees would block the view of planes and this proved correct .Yes it overlooks the airport but the only planes to be seen were taxiing or parked at stands. I did not see one plane land on the runway next to the hotel from my room due to the position of the room and the trees and the take off runway was about a mile away on the other side of the airport. I may as well have requested a view of a car park.

There are not many places to eat near this hotel so I decided to eat in the restaurant and was charged almost £20 for fish & chips and a coke. This was tasty but worth £20? No...

I checked out of the hotel before 7am and couldn't wait to get home.
Let's just hope that they manage to make sure that my reward points are credited to my United Plus mileage membership as requested so it wasn't a complete waste of time and money.

All in all a pretty disappointing stay. Don't think I will be going back there. I have stayed at the Jury's Inn on the other side of the airport a couple of times and it was much nicer and much cheaper.

Room Tip: Don't bother to pay extra for the Plane Spotter package. Just book a standard room and request a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review; I was sorry to learn that you were not able to achieve what you set out to accomplish. It is unfortunate that we were busy on this particular evening and unable to give you a room with a better view. The planes land and take-off on different runways; this changes throughout the day and can depend on which way the wind is blowing therefore, on occasions, the runway nearest to the hotel can appear to be quiet. I am delighted to advise that the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the bedrooms, corridors and Lobby. This will include installing flat-screen TVs. The doors on the cabinets that house our current TVs do slide back inside thereby creating more space, also the TV slides out from the cabinet and can be swivelled so that it can be viewed from the chair. I am sorry that you did not get the view you were expecting; I hope it will not deter you from staying with us again.
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip.
The reception staff are friendly and helpful.
The rooms are spacious and the bed very comfortable.
There was a fridge, kettle, mugs and tea and coffee.
The TV was old fashioned and could do with upgrade.
Despite being close to a main road, the room was quiet.
In the bathroom was all amenities and a hair dryer.
In the hotel was a useful gift shop that also sold cold drinks and a cafe for coffee and snacks.

• Stayed July 2013
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is good of you to comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of the Reception staff; they will be pleased. The TV’s are dated and are going to be replaced with flat-screen ones when the bedrooms are renovated. The Starbucks in our Lobby is very popular with our guests.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I spent a night here to catch an international flight the next day. It is close to Heathrow International Airport. On approach to the building you might at first assume that it is one of those old, ugly office buildings that has been standing vacant for a decade as a result of the global economic downturn. You'll experience some relief as you enter the lobby because it looks a bit better. The receptionists are well-spoken and attentive. That's pretty much where the good news ends. For the rest, it is a tired and rundown place. The corridors, while clean, are old, uneven and not very attractive looking. It has the feel almost of an old mental hospital (at least, in movies/films). The colors are a little depressing, the doors ill-fitting, paintwork is sloppy and everything you'd expect from a policy of bare minimum maintenance. You are not meant to enjoy your stay here. It is practical and that's it. I noticed that many airlines housed their flight crews here overnight before flying out again the following day.
The in-hotel restaurant had a buffet and a menu. The buffet was probaly the poorest I've seen in a long time. I didn't try the menu.
Pros: Close to airport, wifi is free
Cons: Dismal place to stay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Your review of your stay with us is much appreciated; your comments will be passed on to our Head Chef, Restaurant Manager and Reception Team. I am delighted to advise that the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the guest bedrooms, corridors and Lobby; once complete this will enhance the guests’ experience. Thank you for your praise of our Reception Team. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future to experience the improvements for yourself.
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We got in late and left early, but this was a great hotel. Large bed, in a large room, and a full bath tub. We got in as the restaurant was closing, but the bar has a good menu and great service. There is a paid shuttle that runs past the front door, or you can walk half a block down and catch the free shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It is very pleasing to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us; thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Orinda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My flight from Bergen arrived after 9:30 so decided to stay at the airport and go into London the next day. The Renaissance is a bit tired as were the hotel staff. I had booked 2 rooms in advance for myself and 2 adult sons. The rooms were on different floors down long long hallways. The rooms were typical, nothing special, I think there are better choices, but fine for 1 night. The bar was extremely busy and expensive for what it was. My drink (gin & tonic) was over $20.00.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the other airport hotels.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Your review is much appreciated. I am pleased to be able to advise that the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the bedrooms, corridors and Lobby. It is possible that we were busy the night you stayed with us which could explain why you were not given rooms close to one another.
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our flight was cancelled and we were placed here by BA, at least they provided a hotel. I was looking forward to a romantic weekend away and at our destination a rather nice hotel was waiting. This hotel was comfortable but in need of updating. There were cobwebs in the room, not sure if that is because that room had not been used for a while or if they are just not good at cleaning. Food was also provided by BA, but this was terrible. It is not somewhere I would choose to stay. We had parked close to the airport as I hate going on the transfer buses, but ended up on them anyway to get to the hotel. There was quite a wait for the bus and there were better looking and closer hotels if you are looking for somewhere to stay before your journey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It is pleasing to see that you had a comfortable stay with us during the inconvenience of your flight being cancelled. I am delighted to advise the hotel is going to be up-dated; the new owner is committed to a major renovation of the Lobby, bedrooms and corridors – when completed it will greatly enhance our guest experience. I hope you will return to experience the ‘new’ hotel for yourself. Thank you for your review;

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!