“Heathrow Airport Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
Orinda
“Heathrow Airport Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My flight from Bergen arrived after 9:30 so decided to stay at the airport and go into London the next day. The Renaissance is a bit tired as were the hotel staff. I had booked 2 rooms in advance for myself and 2 adult sons. The rooms were on different floors down long long hallways. The rooms were typical, nothing special, I think there are better choices, but fine for 1 night. The bar was extremely busy and expensive for what it was. My drink (gin & tonic) was over $20.00.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the other airport hotels.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Your review is much appreciated. I am pleased to be able to advise that the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the bedrooms, corridors and Lobby. It is possible that we were busy the night you stayed with us which could explain why you were not given rooms close to one another.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our flight was cancelled and we were placed here by BA, at least they provided a hotel. I was looking forward to a romantic weekend away and at our destination a rather nice hotel was waiting. This hotel was comfortable but in need of updating. There were cobwebs in the room, not sure if that is because that room had not been used for a while or if they are just not good at cleaning. Food was also provided by BA, but this was terrible. It is not somewhere I would choose to stay. We had parked close to the airport as I hate going on the transfer buses, but ended up on them anyway to get to the hotel. There was quite a wait for the bus and there were better looking and closer hotels if you are looking for somewhere to stay before your journey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It is pleasing to see that you had a comfortable stay with us during the inconvenience of your flight being cancelled. I am delighted to advise the hotel is going to be up-dated; the new owner is committed to a major renovation of the Lobby, bedrooms and corridors – when completed it will greatly enhance our guest experience. I hope you will return to experience the ‘new’ hotel for yourself. Thank you for your review;
Gibraltar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was not aware that bed bugs were still active throughout the modern western world until that is I visited this dump of a hotel, which my travel agent booked and not me by the way. I gave him a right earful when I got back home.

This was an extra given to us for booking our Honey Moon package with the agency and what a massive disappointment. This is certainly no 4 star! Not even a 3 or a 2 star!! More like a hostel!!!

I had just got back from Mexico so both myself and my wife were used to being bitten by insects (mosquitoes to be exact), but is there any excuse for this to happen in UK? Especially when the insects in question are bed bugs?

My wife suffered over 30 bites all over her legs and feet and I had about 15-20 over my ankles feet and hands. Thankfully we only stayed there for the night.

We told the gentleman at the reception desk at check out that we had been bitten by insects, (as we did not know at the time what the bites where from) and he apologized in broken English but did little else. It was 5 am and I had a plane to catch in a few hours so could not be bothered to argue with him, nor could I demand my money back as it was a freebie from the travel agency.

Once I got back home to Gibraltar, I went to see the doctor which diagnosed the bites and recommended we wash ALL our clothes in hot water and fumigate our luggage just in case! We have now been told by pest control that there were indeed insects in the luggage and now we will have to have our house done. As you can understand we are furious as we have been to Cuba, Dom rep, Mexico etc and all over eastern Europe and have never encountered such problems! To have this happen to us in HEATHROW LONDON is just BANG OUT OF ORDER!! Thankfully neither our 2 year toddler or Cat where with us at the hotel or consequences could have been much more dire.

Additionally room was filthy and decor appalling. I mean this was a real dump. How on earth did this place get a 4 star rating? I hope this place gets reviewed or even shut down!!

DO NOT GO THERE!!! OR IT COULD BE YOU HAVING PEST CONTROL OVER!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Llanito-gib

Thank you for your feedback posted onto Tripadvisor.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the Renaissance London Heathrow not being anything else but satisfactory. Naturally, this is not the impression we would want you to have of the hotel and its’ associated as it does not reflect the high standards associated with the hotel.

With regards to your allegations about being bitten whilst at the hotel and having these bites diagnosed as such; I can categorically deny that these injuries would have been sustained whilst being resident at the Renaissance Heathrow. In fact, it is far more likely that you have brought insects into the hotel via your own luggage and that the alleged infestation is of your own making. The hotel has a rigorous cleaning regime and does not harbour insects and/or bugs.

Obviously, you can share your opinions via this forum without actually having any substance to your allegations and I regret that Tripadvisor has opted to list these without even seeking an appropriate response from the Hotel Management.

Finally, whilst your personal points of view and experiences have affected the review of our hotel, I truly hope that possible future reviews you may post are truthful and paint an accurate picture of the hotel that you may have stayed in.

Yours sincerely,

Jan Willem Lensen
Norfolk, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

we had a 930am flight to the US and didn't want to wake up at the crack of dawn to get to Heathrow. This place was perfect. We scored excellent rooms from Getaroom.com that also included a wonderful buffett breakfast. The rooms were clean, comfy beds and a decent selection of tv channels. Wifi ain't free but for what i paid, I bought a couple of hours worth. I would definitely stay there again. Bus 111 and 140 get you there for free. The HOPA costs money and a cab is about 13 GBP.

Room Tip: go through kayak to find the best rates...don't go through the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
It is with great pleasure that I read your review to find that you had a ‘perfect’ stay with us and our location suited your needs. The free buses are a big bonus and elevate the traffic around Heathrow Airport. Our Housekeeping Department will be delighted to know that you found your room to be clean with a comfy bed; they take great pride in providing our guests with a high standard of cleanliness.
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I decided to stay need heathrow and commute for two days into london and was surpried by what was offered. What no bar fridge! you have to be kidding. £15 per device per 24 hours for wifi when I can get it for free all around London. And £20 for a breakfast! No thanks I will get mine at the station. A tired hotel that needs a good makeover. Tape applied to the carpet that was fraying. Unpleasant musty smell. Someone else's hairs in the bath and rubbish under the bed. How this place scored over two stars amazes me. P.S. take your own pillow if you what a good nights sleep as theirs are soft foam and collapse to nothing.

Room Tip: Definitely close to Heathrow airport with a free local bus from the central bus terminal. If its loc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review; it is most disappointing to learn that we did not live up to your expectations. However I am pleased that our location suited your needs. You will no doubt not be surprised to hear that the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the bedrooms, corridors and Lobby. When complete, this will enhance the guest experience. Our housekeepers take great pride in ensuring all our guest bedrooms are clean and fresh. Therefore I am surprised and disappointed that you feel your room was not as it should have been; I will ask our Executive Housekeeper to investigate. Many of our guests remark on how comfortable the Renaissance bedding is and that it gives them a wonderful night’s sleep; I am sorry that this was not the case for you.
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

When i arrived at the reception at 10 am in the morning they told me that i need to wait until 12 am to get my room even if they told me that they have rooms cleaned already. If not they will charge you 30 euros. I stayed at the reception waiting until 12 am. Then i came again to get my key and the same person told me that now they check in it's at 3pm. Not serious at all!!!! After compaining for the way they treat you, the manager came to me and he gave me a room inmediatly. the manager was really good, but the front desk people needs to really work in the way they give information to you and in the way they treat you.

Room Tip: not amazing but ok
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review; I am pleased to read that our location suited your needs. It is with disappointment that I see your check-n experience was not as it should have been and I apologise for that; I am glad that the Manager was able to rectify the situation and will ensure that training is given where necessary. Check-out is at 12noon with check-in at 1500 hours; when possible and rooms are available, we try to accommodate early check-in.
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The lobby is nice but don't let that fool you as the rooms are old. There is no Internet service but you can buy it 15 pounds for the day which had HORRIBLE service. You had to connect multiple times. The only positive is it is close to the airport. Can ride to for airport to hotel is about 16 pounds. We stayed at another hotel down the block (Sheraton Skyline) which was way way better and cheaper too!

• Stayed July 2013
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Your review of the hotel on Trip Advisor is much appreciated. The rooms are indeed old however the hotel’s new owner has exciting plans for a major renovation; this will also include the Lobby. I am sorry that you had challenges connecting to the internet; I will ask our IT Manager to investigate. There is a document on our website listing the numerous free buses operating to and from Heathrow Airport to the main road by the hotel. I hope you will return to the hotel to experience the improvements the renovation will make to our guests’ stay.

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!