“Paul Benson - Total asset to the hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #13 of 21 hotels in Hounslow
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Paul Benson - Total asset to the hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Looked at many hotels in London when deciding to pick up a friend from the airport who was arriving from India. Very convenient location so ended up booking it very last minute. Got a bargain for a two night weekend stay.

On arrival, Paul Benson who was working on reception was a lifesaver - an absolute credit to the hotel and I would most definitely stay there again, if only to be greeted and assisted by him!

Thank you Paul!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
It is always a pleasure having a member of staff recognised for their excellent customer service; thank you for taking the time to comment on Paul Benson. Paul is a highly valued member of the hotel team and this is not the first time that he is recognised in this way; I will be sure to pass this on to him. I am delighted that enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning again in the not too distant future.

1,273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Mirfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I very recently wrote a 5 star review of the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel in Hong Kong and well deserved it was too. Just two days after arriving back in the UK I had a meeting in Slough so decided to stay at the Renaissance Heathrow, a hotel I have stayed at many times over the past ten years or so. Sad to say that compared to its sister hotel in Hong Kong this Renaissance is disappointing. Why? Well, not because of the staff who in every department were very good. No, what was disappointing was that smell I get when I can sense that it is the accountants and bean counters who are running the hotel and not the GM! Ever were I seemed to go there were signs of penny pinching! The worst example is the a Executive Lounge were they make it very clear that guests ( who have either paid for executive rooms or are Marriott Reward Card Holders, so one would assume fairly important to the hotel?) are limited to red wine and white wine during the evening "Happy Hour". It just seems to petty and unnecessary to me and especially when compared to the array of food and drinks available at the Renaissance Hong Kong. There was only one member of staff to look after the Executive Lounge compared to at least six staff in the lounge in Hong Kong. This is coincidence, this is all about policy and whether customers are more or less important than profit - in the case of the Renaissance Heathrow it is perfectly obvious what the priority is and it's not us paying punters! If you are staying in this area then try the Marriott at Slough instead, it's a far better hotel and just as convenient for Heathrow with a regular bus service to the airport.

Room Tip: If you like to see aircraft taking off and landing then ask for a room with a view of the runway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
It is with much disappointment that I read your review and I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectation. All our guests are important to us, whether a Marriott Reward member, airline crew, leisure or business guest. Whilst we are not the Harbour View hotel in Hong Kong we are endeavouring to live up to the Renaissance brand which is why the hotel’s new owner is committed to a major renovation of the Lobby, bedrooms and Club Lounge. And as a valued guest your comments are appreciated; thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I hope that you will return in the future to experience the improvements for yourself.
Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Though the name sounds Renaissance, but pls do not expect Marriott quality at this hotel. This hotel is no where close to marriott standards. This is an old outdated hotel which doesnot have a good air conditioning / heating system, they use old fashioned 21 CMS CRT televisions. They would charge you 3 GBP if you would ask them for some cutlery (Plates & Spoons) which again was a shocker of my life.

They dont care anyways cos this place is almost fully booked and 000's of passengers / business travellers come and go. Most of the BA delayed / cancelled flight passengers are also putup over here, and they are making good money.

Marriott is spoiling their name by giving them a franchise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
It is with much disappointment that I read your review. The hotel’s new owner, the Arora Group, recognises that a renovation is required to keep the property on the Renaissance brand and to the standard one expects associated with Marriott. All our bedrooms will be completely refurbished; creating a more spacious, modern area. With regard to the room service minimum charge for cutlery and crockery, this is standard practice for some hotels. Because of the hotel’s location the Renaissance Heathrow appeals not only to airline passengers but also to conference and leisure guests; this all adds to the eclectic feel of the hotel. I do hope that you will return to the hotel to experience the new bedrooms. Thank you for your comments.
Gilbert, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012. It is close to Heathrow airport but not a comfortable hotel & the front desk was a mob scene!! The restaurant food & service was poor...although there is a Starbucks on property. We did not get much sleep because of the noise in the hallway. A lot of flight crews stay at this hotel. We were told that the hotel had been sold & was not going to be a Marriott property for much longer...not sure if this is true or not. There is shuttle service to the airport. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am disappointed to learn that your stay with us was not as it should have been and that your sleep was disturbed. The hotel does have a new owner however they are continuing to operate it as a Renaissance property under the Marriott umbrella of hotels. The new owner is committed to a major renovation of the bedrooms which will improve the guest experience. I hope that you will give us a second chance and see the improvements for yourself.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The staff at check in and out were friendly and efficient. The hotel and bedrooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. I ate at both the restaurant and the bar and the food was good and well priced. I stayed 2 nights and travelled into London on public transport with easy. The hotel hoppa sevices the hotel but the local buses (free) stop outside the hotel on Bath Rd. Numbers 111, 105, 140, 285, 555 go to/from terminals 1,2 & 3. And 423 to/from terminal 5. There is also a free service to Hatton Cross to connect to the tube to London, the friendly hotel staff will point you in the right direction. I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 2nd floor facing the airport which was fun to watch the planes landing and takin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your positive review of the hotel and its staff. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient for your needs. As you have pointed out there are a number of ways to get to Heathrow and London from the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I booked this hotel as we had a flight from Heathrow the following morning. First of all, the hotel is huge. I mean massive! Probably the biggest hotel I have ever stayed in London. The corridors are long and I almost got lost several time, but that may be just me!

Concierge were great. I handed them a package (it already had the correct postage on it) to them and they promised to post it for me and they were true to their word as it was waiting for me when I arrived home. The receptionists answered all my queries with great customer service skills. I also had some queries prior to my stay that were answered by phone. I was concerned that my BA flight said that I could only check in 24 hours before the flight and obviously I do not travel with my printer but the hotel assured me that they have the facilities to check in at the reception. Checking in was fun as it was done via a large touchscreen monitor located by the concierge. Our boarding passes were printed at the concierge's desk but the concierge was busy with another client elsewhere in the hotel but the printer was visible so I just took my boarding passes. Easy peasy.

There is a Hotel Hoppa that you can get from the outside of the hotel that goes to Heathrow, make sure you know which terminal number you need to go to and to get on the right Hotel Hoppa as there are different ones for the different terminals. These are clearly stated on the front of the bus. The fare is £5 single and you just pay the driver. If your flight is not until the afternoon, you can get the usual London bus the will take a bit longer but would only cost £1.40 on an Oyster card.

Breakfast was included in the rate. This is an American hotel chain and may explain why I was pleased to find freshly made pancakes and waffles available at breakfast. Yummy! I would have loved to have spent more time enjoying my breakfast but had to catch my flight! I would definitely stay here again even if it was only for the yummy breakfast. I am not kidding either ;)

We asked for an air side view and saw the planes landing and taking off. Amazing view. Plus amazing sound proofing considering how near we were to the runway. OK so the rooms were not the best I have been in but still not too bad for an overnight stop. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
It is with great pleasure that I read your review and hear that you will be back with us in the future. The Monscierge touch-screen unit you refer to is very popular with our guests. There are also free buses to and from the airport that stop just outside the hotel on the Bath Road. I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast; it’s always a bonus to find that your favourite item is available, in your case the pancakes and waffles. The hotel’s new owner is committed to an exciting major renovation of the guest bedrooms. The new furnishings will give a more modern and spacious feel to the rooms. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
Borås
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

One more time I will tell you that the service in the hotel was very good e.g. reception desk,
housekeeping unit. Especially Mm Nirmala, the coordinator for the housekeeping, helped us when we had problems. She was so kindful and pleasant to us. I was full of troubles and she could make all to the best in our situation.
A little thing we from Sweden will appreciate: coffee after dinner. Starbucks is a nice coffee-
shop, but just outside the ding-room.
Thank you for all good thoughts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments which will again be passed on to Nirmala.

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!