“staff really make this hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“staff really make this hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here on a weekend theatre break, i was pleased with the size of the lobby when entering.
The meal in the restaurant was not great but niether was it anything to complain about.
You are really close to the runway and that was fantastic, you dont really hear the Aircraft although you feel you could touch them.
We met one of the Duty Managers believe his name was Paul, we asked him about the hotel and so pleased we did , he explained about the queen making her first step as queen on english soil and even took the time to show us the plaque they have in the restaurant, We never felt that it was to much trouble he made our stay so memorable, and was a very cheerful chappie, dont meet many of those these days. The hotel is fantastic and I would recommend to all my friends and family. Well done Renaissance for making our stay a truly great experience.

Room Tip: I would now always request an airport facing room, you are so close to the runway fantastic veiws wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
It was with great pleasure that I read your comments and I am delighted that a member of the hotel team made your stay more pleasurable; your comments will be passed on. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

1,417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

While the queue at check-in was minimal things didnt get off to the best of starts. I was given my room keys and went to my room on the 3rd floor but the keys to my room did not work. I went along to the nearby Executive Lounge to get them re-cut and I eventually managed to enter my room. A quick look around revealed rather bizarrely that there was no toilet seat on the toilet - white porcelain only! I duly called Reception who were surprised that I was calling from that particular room as they had me down in their system as being in another room! I was asked
who had told me to go to the room I was currently in and when I said "reception"; they could only apoligise and sent a bell-man along with the keys for the room I should be in.The next room did have a toilet-seat ;-)

While many hotels provide free in-room and roaming wi-fi for multiple devices from one room authentication mechanism, the Renaissance requires each device in your possession to be separately authenticated. That in itself is only a minor inconvenience, the main issue
being that on the day, in-room internet speeds were abysmally slow and by that I mean a tin can with a piece of string attached to it would have probably given you faster internet performance. Whether by design or accident the wi-fi signal would usually last only 10-15m before forcing a reconnect attempt to be made. It was virtually impossible to do anything over the wi-fi other than get frustrated with the horrifically poor internet performance. In the end I had to use my phone as a portable hot-spot.

The room was OK, but relatively small with double bed, TV cabinet/drawers, work desk and chair, small side table and comfy chair. As a few people have commented, they need a bit of a makeover.

The hors dourvres in the executive lounge that evening were also pretty minimalistic in the form of some over-cooked and greasy onion bhajees.

Likes:
+ Proximity to LHR terminals
+ Reasonable room rate
+ Friendly staff

Dislikes:
- room keys not working
- totally unusable in-room internet/wi-fi (too slow)
- minimalistic and dated room
- non-functional mini-bar
- ineffective A/C

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am disappointed to read about the mix-up and inconvenience of your room. Internet connection in the bedrooms and around the hotel usually works well so I will ask my team to investigate the service provided. The hotel, I am delighted to say, is committed to a major renovation, this includes guest bedrooms and corridors; when completed it will greatly improve our guests’ stay with us.
Cambridge,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night before heading off from Heathrow for a weekend away. The hotel was very conveniently located and had a huge car park where we could leave our car (so no having to drive to the airport parking) so for that it was a great choice.

The bar was (unsurprisingly) pretty overpriced, although it was a nice enough place to sit and pass the time.

The room was OK, the bathrooms were very dated, and there was a significant design flaw on the TV cupboard which meant you could only watch from the bed, not from the chair - if you moved away from the location directly in front of the cabinet the angle meant you couldn't see anything. Not a huge issue, except as you're in the hotel before travelling its not like you'd be spending the evening out exploring the local area.

Check out was smooth and collecting the ticket to get out with the car again when we got back was also really easy.

Generally, I'd say this hotel was average - it did what it said on the tin, but not impressive and for the money and the brand I'd have hoped for a little more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Your remarks are most appreciated. I am delighted to announce that our new owners, the Arora Group, have already started a major renovation programme. This includes modernising the hotel’s guest bedrooms, bathrooms and corridors. Flat-screen TVs will be installed, this and other furniture improvements, will create a more spacious area in the bedrooms. We are excited about the improvements and are looking forward to providing a new, enhanced guest experience.
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This Renaissance is part of the Marriott group of hotels and should not be. It does not deserve to carry the Marriott label. It's described as a contemporary four star hotel on the Marriott website. I was there one night and one full day for a business meeting. The hotel is basically a big concrete slab with hundreds of small rooms, mainly to house in flight personnel that come in and out of Heathrow. It looks quite full and I am sure the owners make good money on this hotel as it is quite full during the week. Unfortunately not a lot of that money is going into renovation and upkeep. The hotel is old and tired, and smelly. It is quite depressing and that's why one should not stay longer than one night. The rooms are okay, the bathrooms are old and on the verge of breaking. The hotel restaurant serves basic food. The highlight is most of the staff - they are quite nice and really seem to do their best to help, whether at the reception or at the restaurant. The food served during our business meeting was quite aweful and the facility for the meeting was adequate but depressing, in the basement with no windows. I am not going back to this place if I can avoid it. Marriott - fix this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments which are extremely important in assisting us to identify our strengths and weaknesses, which will be passed on to our Executive Team. The Arora Group took over our hotel towards the end of last year and have already committed to a significant investment, in order to enrich our overall Guest Experience. We are planning a complete refurbishment of our Guest Rooms, which will create a more spacious, modern area. The renovation will include new TVs and Air Conditioning/Heating. We will also be enhancing the Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms. We hope you will return in the future to experience the ‘new’ hotel.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great hotel for that short london theatre break,good food, service,well appointed rooms.This wasbooked as part of a theatre weekend package, with coach travel,theatre ticket,london sightseeing and hotel, great package and great value.

Room Tip: Book this as part of a theatre package.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend theatre break and your stay at the Renaissance Heathrow. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Westchester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

The staff act like I expect from Renaissance. Very attentive and helpful. But the hotel is falling apart. Specifics: duct tape holding the carpeting together in the lobby and hallways; tube TVs with bad picture (do you really expect me to pay 11 pounds for a movie on that?); all meals are buffets (since many people have meal vouchers from airlines); for dinner there were two entrees - some scary looking fish and something they called chicken aka king *shivers*; rooms are clean, but old and dilapidated.

The convenience to Heathrow and the excellent staff could make this into a very nice place but it is so in need of renovation.

My room: sign on the empty mini-bar says call room service if you need minibar items. TV didn't turn on (staff replaced it quickly), one broken light fixture, strange odds and ends left over from previous things like a sign in the bathroom that says hair dryer (there was a hair dryer but in the main room) and a knob that doesn't do anything.

I should mention that the breakfast buffet was pretty good with waffles, omelette station, fresh fruit etc.

• Stayed February 2013
Your comments are much appreciated and will be passed on to the Executive Team, to explore your food and room comments. With regard to the tiredness of the hotel, I am delighted to announce that our new owners, the Arora Group, have already started a major renovation programme. This will include guest bedrooms, corridors and the Lobby. We are excited about the improvements and are looking forward to providing a new and improved guest experience.
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and i booked the Renaissance for an overnight stay before flying off from terminal 3. We arrived at the airport bus station and were told if we hopped on a red bus going into london the driver will drop us off opposite the hotel, we caught the bus from an end stand at the station,there was no fare to pay, and from the hotel next day a free taxi that took us to terminal 3 which the hotel ordered for us,a good start to our holiday so no real need to pre pay for any other transport. Our room was an acceptable size, clean well stocked on all the usual things, bed was comfy. We had an evening meal in the bar as the restaurant prices were too high, having said that the bar prices were on the steep side too. The staff were all friendly and helpful quite a good experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that staying with us was a good start to your trip. The hotel is indeed very convenient for getting to and from Heathrow Airport. We pride ourselves on the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff, your comments will be passed on.

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!