“If you don't expect much, you will not be disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #14 of 22 hotels in Hounslow
Kansas City, Missouri
“If you don't expect much, you will not be disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here one night before an early flight back to the US. Based on past reviews, we had low expectations. I think that actually helped because we were not expecting much and thus not let down. That coupled with a low rate made the stay ok. I do see there was a change in management and I think that is evident given that we did not experience some of what the poor reviews reflected.

The bottom line, only stay if:

1. You get a rate lower than any of the other hotels at LHR
2. Marriott Rewards Gold or Platinum member (free internet and club access)
3. You are not staying for more than two nights
4. You need to be near the airport and not vacation (although Windsor Castle is within a 15-20 min. drive and worth your time)

The rest of the story…

I think the issue with this hotel is that there standard rate equals about $300 a night and you expect a lot more than what you get. As you walk down the hall to your room, you begin to think, “I paid $300 for this?” Once you get past the lobby, the hotel and rooms are very dated. It reminds me of an old HoJo or Holidome from the late 70s/early 80s. The internet is high (almost $30 for 24 hours), the food is high ($26 for a hamburger), the airport shuttle is about $9 a person.

Misc:
• We noticed that a lot of the guests worked for the airlines. They even have a sign asking you to be quiet because they have guests that sleep during the day.
• Although not why I would go to the UK, there is a very nice, clean McDonalds within a 5 min. walk from the hotel. It is 24 hours and has some healthier options than a US McDonalds. It’s an option give how expensive the hotel restaurant is.
• The club/concierge lounge is ok but nothing to pay extra for.

Shuttle:
• The paid shuttle runs regularly about every 20 min. depending on the terminal you need to go to.
• Consider a taxi (if in a hurry) for about $40.
• Consider the free shuttle versus paying what equals about $9 for the hotel shuttle. They will not tell you about the free shuttle and when you ask will act like it’s a hassle but it is not. It’s just that the free shuttle is not allowed to pull up to the hotel door. You will have to walk to the sidewalk. If you want to pay for the shuttle, make sure the hotel actually has the tickets to sell you. They told me they could sell them to me but failed to mention they were out of them until I needed to buy one in the morning. And they seemed unconcerned about the situation. It was worked out but not until I pushed that they find a way to resolve what they promised.
• You can pay the shuttle driver but they only take cash. I wanted to pay with credit to avoid coming home with British pounds to have to exchange.
• Shuttle can take long. We found out from a taxi driver and hotel concierge that Terminal 4 is the last drop off for the shuttle and the entire trip from hotel to drop off can be 30 to 40 minutes. For about $40 you can take a taxi.

Room Tip: Use the free shuttle to LHR Windsor Castle within 20 min by car 24 hour McDonalds within 5 min wal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel. Our guests’ feedback is very important to us. Your detailed review is most appreciated. The comments provided, greatly assist us in identifying our strengths and weaknesses, so we can continually strive to improve our standards and service. As you are aware, the Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel last month. We have already commenced Phase 1 of a very exciting and innovative investment in our product, which will greatly enrich our guest experience. All our bedrooms will be completely refurbished, as well as significant enhancements to our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms. I trust you will not be deterred from giving us another opportunity to welcome you back as our most valued guest in the future.

1,382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Slightly dated but lovely hotel. Close to heathrow which was good and the windows are double gazed so we didnt hear any noise. Room was fresh and clean. The furniture was sufficient for our needs. There was a fridge and TV. The bathroom had a bath tub and shower which was nice.

Staff were helpful and very friendly. Service overall was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Your kind Review on the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel is most appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding your comment on the age of our product, I am pleased to confirm that the Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel last month and we have already begun Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative investment to improve our guest experience. Our bedrooms will be completely refurbished, as well as significant enhancements to our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms. I trust we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Lovely hotel. Our room was clean and fresh with comfortable beds, Tea/coffee making facilities, TV and furniture in the room are abit dated but it was sufficient for our needs. Nice bathroom with bath and shower. Double glazed windows so we didnt hear any planes even though near the airport. You cant open the windows which i personally dont like but the rooms are air conditioned. Food is abit expensive but then again i suppose it depends on your budget. There is a la carte restaurant which is more expensive and a pub area where you can get food abit cheaper but it was still £25 for one pizza, i portion fries & 1 portion onion rings & 2 cola's for the pub food. There is a Mcdonalds accross the road from the hotel which is handy if you are on a tight budget. Most of the staff are friendly, there are a couple who could barely manage a smile though! There is a hoppa bus which you can catch from the airport terminals to the hotel at a cost of £4.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would definately stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
JanWillem L, Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Your comments regarding our hotel are most appreciated. Please be assured I take our guests’ feedback extremely seriously. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay and that we may look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
The Arora Group took Ownership of the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel last month. As you probably noticed, Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product has already commenced in our Lobby. A complete refurbishment of our bedrooms and enhancements to our Bar and Meeting Rooms are also planned.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on a business trip.
Hotel was ok for this purpose. As other reviewers mentioned, the hotel and rooms are fairly dated, room size is sufficient but certainly not great (business rooms in the Park Inn are much larger).
Overall, it depends what you are looking for: if you want a nice, modern hotel, then this is not the place to stay. If you look for a simple place to stay that "does the job", then the Renaissance is just fine.

Best feature of the hotel: the Starbucks in the same building!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed our hotel’s Starbucks facilities ! Your pertinent contents regarding our product have been noted. I am delighted to announce that the Arora Group took Ownership of the hotel in October, 2012. Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment has already commenced in our Lobby. We are also planning a complete refurbishment of our bedrooms, in addition to significant enhancements to our Meeting Rooms and Bar.
I trust we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, as our most valued guest in the future.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my 2nd stay at this hotel to attend a conference. I thought my 1st stay was average given the hotel rating but standards here have definitely gone down hill in a period of less than a year. I caught a specific train to save money for the business I work for and arrived around 2.30pm expecting a wait of half an hour for check in time only to be told as I was with part of a larger group I would have to wait until 5pm! I had travelled up from Devon and just wanted to settle in, have a shower and do some work before meeting colleagues later. I felt the receptionists were very indifferent and inflexible bordering on rude. She even checked with a colleague sitting behind her what time the rooms would be ready. She obviously thought my hearing was defective as she put it in such a way that made me feel people attending conferences were a bit of a nuisance and did not deserve the same courtesy as individual booked guests. The colleague she conferred with said the room keys were being released at 3 but I heard the girl I was dealing with say " yes but she can't be checked in until 5 can she" at this the other member of staff just shrugged her shoulders and said well maybe 4. The receptionist then came back to me and said no you can't check in until 5! There is nothing around apart from the airport so I had to just sit in reception and wait. When I eventually got my room it smelt of stale cigarette smoke despite assurances I had a non smoking room. The room was shabby and old fashioned with the oldest TV and poorest reception I have seen in a hotel for many years. I have to say the room was clean and the bed was huge and comfortable. The heating did not work despite an engineer coming to check and I was given a heater which worked well enough. About 10 minutes after checking in there was a knock on the door and a maintence man apologised and said according to his sheet my room was empty but could he replace a faulty bulb. Over the course of the next 24 hrs I was disturbed at all sorts of times including a very early 6.15 knock from housekeeping, all callers looked taken aback as according to"their sheet" my room was unoccupied. After a rather embarrassing trip out from the shower to answer the latest knock I phoned reception to say my room was indeed occupied, after being transferred and going through it all again and 20mins on the phone giving my details numerous times I was told I wouldn't be disturbed again, and indeed I wasn't not even to make my bed or empty my bin the next day!!
On the plus side food was good and most other staff were helpful and polite. The gym was a reasonable size too. Drinks are extortionate even for hotel prices I paid £6.50 for a JD and coke. Overall the hotel is not a 4*. If I was the one paying would I choose to stay here.....no. The prices certainly do not reflect the service or amenities.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
May I say how disappointed I was to note the comments in your review of our hotel. Please be assured I take your feedback extremely seriously. My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding caused at check-in. I have investigated what occurred and the Organiser of your Conference had appointed a 5.00 o’clock check-in time. I am sorry if our Staff did not explain this properly to you. Regarding your comments on our product, I am delighted to confirm that the Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel last month and we have already begun Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative investment to improve our guest experience. Our bedrooms will be completely refurbished, as well as significant enhancements to our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms. I am very sorry that you were disturbed in your room. An investigation is being carried out with the departments concerned, to try and ensure this does not happen again. This is not the standard of service we strive to attain. I trust that despite what occurred, you will not be deterred from giving us another opportunity to live up to your expectations and we may welcome you back again as our guest in the future.
Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I Stayed at the Renaissance for one night in November after returning late from a business trip to France. If you like blue carpets, dated brown veneer furniture, 80's style TVs, woodwork with layer upon layer of stained yellow gloss paint, wood chip ceilings, peeling wallpaper, tarnished taps, stained grout, dirty shower curtains then you will love it at the Renaissance, me, unfortunately i hated every second of my stay and couldn't wait to leave. I will never stay here again!!
Even the simplest things were done poorly, lager in the bar, whether it was Becks or Stella was served in a plain pint glass, all lagers were served flat by inexperienced bar staff. Food in the bar area was worse than average and served luke warm, by this time I couldn't even be bothered to complain.
The bed was uncomfortable due to the mattress protector and as a result i had a very poor nights sleep.
At check out I was not asked if everything was ok with my stay so I asked for a comment card, to my horror the reception staff informed me that they do not issue comment cards!! I wonder why!! To make matters worse i was charged £120 for the privilege!!
Do stay here!! Believe me, a park bench would be more comfortable!! Avoid!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel. I have noted your comments regarding our product and apologise for any inconvenience caused. I do appreciate how disappointing this must have been for you. The Arora Group took Ownership of the hotel in October, 2012. We have already commenced Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative investment to improve our overall guest experience. Our bedrooms will be completely refurbished, with enhancements planned for our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms. Regarding your food and beverage experience, we are changing our menus, with a focus on improved presentation and new glasses have also been purchased for the Bar. Moving forward, we are committed to attaining high standards of service. I hope you will give us another opportunity to live up to your expectations in the future and that our team may look forward to welcoming you back again as our valued guest.
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed here 6 times since 2005 and have enjoyed every single stay. Only problem I had was at check in and check out. I was charged the room charge for 3 nights and another £150 incase I charged anything to my room. So I went back and just paid for the room. The receptionist said it would be refunded and it wasn't until yesterday. The on the day of check out, someone charged £17.50 of alcohol to my room. So after insisting that it wasn't me the correct receipt was found and someone had got the room number wrong. But Monday was I was still charged £17.50. And can't correct it until my bank has processed the weeks payments in my account.

Breakfast was nice. Loved the waffles and cream.

Will be going back in February 2014 for a convention (AT7)

Only other problem is that I wish we cold have had a runway view.

Biggest tip is if going to the hotel, use the free buses that run up and down Bath Road and not the Hoppa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to review the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel. Your findings are very important in assisting us to identify our strengths and any weaknesses, so we can continually improve our standards and service. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused regarding the misunderstanding over your room number. I appreciate how annoying this must have been for you and trust this has now been resolved.
The Arora Group took Ownership of the hotel last month and as you probably noticed, we have already begun Phase 1 in our Lobby, of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product. Our bedrooms will be completely refurbished, as well as enhancements to our Bar and Meeting Rooms.
All the Team at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel look forward to welcoming you back again for your Convention in February, 2014 – hopefully sooner !

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!