“A useful Stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“A useful Stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night en route to Spain. We reached the hotel without difficulty having telephoned ahead for directions. The check-in was friendly and efficient. Our room was good. Dinner was over-priced and nothing special but the service was good.

The main foyer is smart and well-appointed but generally the hotel is a little faded. We gathered that the franchise has been taken over by Arora and that there will be a £20 million upgrade, making it five star.

For the time being it is certainly four star. Its strength is its staff who have obviously been carefully recruited and well trained: although it is a large hotel, they made us feel welcome and at home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JanWillem L, General Manager at Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your valued feedback on our hotel. Please be assured we take all our guests’ comments extremely seriously and that we are continually striving to improve our overall guest experience.
The Arora Group took Ownership of the hotel on 8th October and we have already started planning Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product. Included in our Plans is a complete refurbishment of all our bedrooms, including soundproofing. We will also be enhancing our Lobby, Bar, Meeting Rooms, Internet service, menus, whilst continuing to focus on providing excellent service.
All the Team at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel look forward to welcoming you back again as our most valued guest, in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Twenty years ago I attended a conference held at the Renaissance Heathrow. The hotel and conference area were impressive for the period. But I swear the hotel has not been updated since. I had to stay there for a weekend between a period of work in London and a week in Germany. It was disappointing to say the least. A few instances:
* The wallpaper is peeling away at the seams
* The hallway carpet is held down with electrician's tape
* The rooms are tiny, even by UK standards
* The TV in the room is ancient--old-fashioned CRT rather than flat screen
* There is virtually no work space
* The windows were leaky and let in the outside noise

The positive: if you are a Marriott rewards member, there is a roomy lounge for breakfast in the morning. However, the afternoon food options were poor and in some cases inedible.

The rooms are cheaper than the Marriott across the road, but believe me you will be better off staying at the Marriott and paying the extra pounds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Your feedback is most appreciated and vital in helping us to identify our strengths and weaknesses. We are continually striving to improve our standards and service.
The Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel on 8th October and to illustrate our commitment to improving our guest experience, we have already started planning Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product.
The challenges you identified and comments you made are extremely relevant and although we cannot change the actual size of our rooms, all the other points you have raised, will be actioned, along with planned menu innovations. We will also be enhancing our Lobby, Bar, and Meeting Rooms, whilst continuing to focusing on providing excellent service.
In the meantime, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I trust you will give us another opportunity to live up to your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm a Marriott Platinum rewards member... which means I spend a lot of time in hotels. This hotel is one of the worst I've ever stayed at.
The room walls are so thin you can't do anything without everyone hearing... phone calls... tv etc. Every room has door to the next room so sound is a big issue.
The room wasn't clean... stinky carpet, mould in the shower... need I go on?
The internet didn't work... I spent over an hour on the help line, and tech support isn't at the hotel... in fact the guy could barely speak English and was in India. But the hotel still wanted to charge $30 for internet access.
I will never, ever, stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. Our guests’ comments provide an invaluable insight and greatly assist us, as we continually strive to improve our product and service.
I regret the problems you encountered with the internet and we will also be taking steps to ensure our guests have improved access and enhanced system support. May I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience. I truly understand how frustrating this must have been.
I sincerely hope you will give our Team another chance to welcome you back as our most valued guest in the future.
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights in October, and it's an old and tired hotel, nothing a 3rd runway wouldn't cure!
Old rooms, can remember when I last had a CRT TV not a flat screen, no fridge, poor double glazing (from experience I can tell you the last flight from Heathrow is about 11:45 and they start around 5:30am!
The real positive is the bar and restaurant are very good, and all off the staff are really wiling to try and help.
There is a Starbucks in the hotel, and a free courtesy bus to the Terminals.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Your comments on our hotel are appreciated. Please be assured that I take your feedback extremely seriously.
The Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel on 8th October and to illustrate our commitment to improving our guests’ experience we are already moving forward with planning Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product. Also included in our plans, is a complete refurbishment of our bedrooms, including soundproofing. We will also be enhancing our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms whilst continuing to focus on providing excellent service.
I trust that we may have the opportunity to welcome you and your Dad back again in the near future.
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I don't love this hotel. My Dad always wants to stay here because he knows the way from Heathrow airport so we've stayed here more than once. The room rate is fairly expensive for what it is and everything costs extra, parking, the shuttle to the airport (the charge for this in particular annoys me), wifi (15 BPS I think? Ridiculous!), breakfast, etc. etc. You end up paying more than you bargained for. The lobby is ok but the halls and rooms are pretty dirty - everything looks as if it could do with a good scrub. I'd look around and see if you can find something better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here only for one night, I was heading to the countryside for a wedding, but arrived the night before at LHR and this was the most affordable choice. I just learnt on my arrival that instaed of the hoppa bus the local red bus takes me to teh hotel for free. The check in was quick and I was lucky to get a room with a view on the runway. I loved it. Being a gold card holder I had an access to the lounge, well the selection was a bit limited, but it is fine for me as it comes as a perk and why should I complain when I can have as much red wine as I want :-) The room was a bit small, but fine for one night, the gym and the sauna was also just fine.

Room Tip: if you don't mind the noise (though the windows are pretty good) ask for a runway view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The Arora Group took over Ownership of the hotel on 8th October and to illustrate our commitment to improving our guests’ experience we are already moving forward with planning Phase 1 of an exciting and innovative £25m investment in our product. Although we are unable to change the actual size of our bedrooms, included in our plans, is a complete refurbishment of our bedrooms, including additional soundproofing. We will also be enhancing our Lobby, Bar and Meeting Rooms whilst continuing to focus on providing excellent service.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to highlight our hotel. Your feedback is most appreciated. All the Team at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel look forward to welcoming you back again as our most valued guest in the future.
Guernsey, Channel Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I flew into Heathrow Terminal 5 and wanted a hotel in the area before transferring to Gatwick the following morning. Booked a suite at the Renaissance to humour my inner plane geek, as the rooms overlook the (Terminal 5?) runway. I spent hours just staring at the 747's take-off, but anyway ..... I took the route 105 bus from the Heathrow Central Bus Station (stand 19) and it's free to get to the hotel. Front desk staff were quick to check me in, acknowledged my Marriott status, asked me how many (24 hour) internet codes I needed, and sent me off to my room on the 3rd floor (room 3208). It was a suite - separate lounge and bedroom areas. It did overlook the runway. There was a desk. The bed was extremely comfortable. The decor throughout was extremely dated and dark. Room looked a little tatty. Air conditioning was set to a warm setting and couldn't be adjusted. Bathroom was clean(ish) but again very dated. As I booked an exec room I had access to the executive lounge - but there wasn't anything very executive about it. Same dark colours. Minimal food/drink options. PC's they provided for use sounded like they would explode at any second. Good views of the runway again though! I had breakfast (included in the price) before I left the hotel. It was ok, but the range of items wasn't as extensive as I've had in many other hotels. There's a small Starbucks in the lobby, but it doesn't accept Starbucks cards. I got the H2 Hoppa bus back to Heathrow Central Bus Station (at a cost of £4.) Room cost me about £150 for the night, and there are plenty of other hotels in the area available for that price. I would consider staying again but only after the hotels rooms and lounge are given some TLC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!