“Restaurant?... was more like a rowdy pub” 2 of 5 stars

136 High St, Newton Le Willows WA12 9SG, England
01925 291555
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
“Restaurant?... was more like a rowdy pub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have been to Ariete on a number of occasions now and each time we have been let down. It's practically on our doorstep so we have been living in hope that it would get better but we are greatly dissapointed.

The restaurant is beautiful inside and the food is actually quite nice (although we have been served very under cooked pasta and cold prawns on separate occasions). There is just so much that lets the place down.

The staff for one - they are predominantly young girls that act like it's their first night and have probably never been trained properly. We ordered wine and the girl brought it over to the table, after her struggling to open the bottle she then proceed to just pour it without asking if we wanted to taste it.

Half way through the meal another waitress came over to fill up the glasses, she filled my husband's glass up and then put the bottle down and walked away leaving me to pour my own, which was just bizarre.

We both ordered steak and it came with vegetables, we were waiting on more to come as the portion we were given was only for one person, but nothing else arrived.

We were sat next to a 30th birthday party of about 20+ people who mainly took over the restaurant with the noise they were making. From the times that we have been in previously, the staff seem to look after the larger parties more than they do the smaller groups and couples. It was difficult to get anyone's attention.

It's such a shame as with better trained staff and a better organised seating plan, separating the larger parties and putting couples at the other end of the restaurant so that can actually hear themselves speak, would make it a much better place for dining.

Overall unimpressed and will not be returning again.

I have given it a rating of 2 as the food is good, but the overall experience on each occasion has been terrible.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

61% Recommend
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Lovely local Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We regularly visit this restaurant an although the food can vary a little at times (any complaints are quickly rectified) the service is always spot on. We'll be back soon!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“An excellent, charismatic, local Italian.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

There is a skill to reading T.A. reviews. I'm always suspicious of a one review poster, be it a wonderfully good, or abysmally bad review. Other moans that arouse my suspicions range from food not being delivered at burger-chain speeds, food temperature, imagined “slights” etc. etc. So when we booked a table for five at Ariete, I wasn't too worried about the high level of “Terrible” experiences.

The restaurant is housed in an interesting building, which oozes character. We took a drink in the bar area, while we waited for the rest of the party to arrive. The drinks and the service could not be faulted. The manager was the epitome of Italian charm, his staff were friendly and accommodating.

When the two latecomers arrived, we were shown to our table in the main restaurant. The room is very big and, (according to one of our party), can get pretty noisy when busy. There were only about twenty diners during our stay, so things were quite civilised.

Sadly I have mislaid the itemised receipt, and as the restaurant doesn't have a web site, I can't accurately recount the cost of everyone's dishes, so apologies if I'm a little vague. The total is correct as I did manage to retain the card receipt!

I shared an antipasto starter with my brother-in-law, which was huge. There was a large platter with prosciutto, Milano salami, mozzarella, grilled aubergine and peppers, as well as a bowl of olives and a plate of bruschetta, along with some more bread. For around £11, it was a bargain! All the ingredients were of good quality. I can't recall the other starters, the reasons why I will come to when I get to the wine choice!

For my main course, I had the veal escalope, “Milanese style”, that is bread-crumbed and fried, served with a side order of tomato pasta. The veal was of excellent quality but had not been beaten wafer-thin, (which the Italians would usually do). The pasta was cooked, (as requested), 'al dente', as were the other pasta courses, chosen by others in the party. If I had a small complaint, it was that the pasta had been swamped by sauce, (nice though it was), which seems to be the way of most Italian restaurants in England.

Desserts were standard, such as the ubiquitous Tiramisu, panna cotta with red berries, crème caramel etc. I didn't have a dessert but the rest of the party issued a lot of “Yum-yum” noises.

The wine list was decent and very reasonably priced. The star, (IMHO), was a Valpolicella La Poiane “Ripasso”, from the excellent firm Bolla. At about £25 a bottle, it was a bargain. In fact it was such a bargain that we drank three bottles of it!

The cost of the meal that consisted of pre-prandial drinks, three bottles of wine, five starters, five mains and four desserts, plus coffees and mineral water was a very reasonable £177.85.

Ariete isn't about absolute authenticity. It's a very well run, warm and friendly, neighbourhood Italian, that delivers decent food, in attractive surroundings, with a degree of aplomb. I will definitely be visiting, the next time I'm in the area.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
“Really Awful Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked a table for 6 people last night Saturday. Arrived on time and given our table. We had been sitting for almost 10 minutes before we were offered a drink. Our meals were ordered and starters were delivered within a nice time period. Starters finished and cleared away and the drinks ran out.

After about 15 minutes with no one coming to see if we would like any more drinks I had to go to the reception to ask could they send someone to take a drink order. Whilst looking around it was plain to see that the restaurant was full and there were significant groups of people in the bar area awaiting their table. The Waitresses (the few that were on duty) were working hell for leather trying to turn tables over to get the expectant diners to their seats. A Waitress did however arrive within a couple of minutes. We ordered a bottle of wine to go with our main course and a jug of water for the.

Five minutes later 4 of 6 meals arrived. After 3/4 minutes those with meals started as they were going cold - infact the steak dish was at best lookwarm. The last two dishes eventually arrived, but no sign of the wine yet. We continued with our meals and as one Waitress came past I enquired about our drinks order.

A few minutes later the Manager arrived with our wine - some 15 /20 minutes after we ordered it. He asked whether everything was OK. At this point I informed him I thought the service was extremely poor and advised him that I had to go to the desk to get someone to take a drinks order, we ordered the wine for our dinner and we were now just receiving our wine when we had just about completed our meals. Naturally he apologised and said he would look into the issue.

When I was paying ouir bill, the Manager once again apologised. He tried to justify our poor experience in that the Bar Man had missed our drinks order and that they were extremely busy as it was a Saturday night. At this point I thought has this guy completely lost the plot? If a restaurant is not going to be busy on a Saturday night, it will never be busy. I just said that although the food was nice the whole evening was spoiled in essence simply by them not having enough staff on to cope with the volume of business.

I pity the table across from us who were a large group celebrating a 21st birthday party. They were seated the same time as us and were only getting their main course as we were leaving after deserts.

We come from Newton and have ate at the Ariete on many occassions. If we eat mid week when the restaurant isn't so busy the food and service are wonderful. If we go at weekends. although the food is always goo the service is extremely poor due to the imbalance of guests to staff.

I hope the management take note of the negative comments and get their act together. This has the potential to be a truly wonderful restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
siennaLancashire, Owner at Ariete Italian Bar And Restaurant, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
As you say the restaurant was busy as we work hard to maintain our standards. I, myself ,was there on Saturday together with 8 members of staff on hand to look after our customers.
I appologies personally to you as did the Manager about your bottle of wine which unfortunalty got misplaced, however I did bring it to you as soon as I was made aware.
Being a small family business we try our best to keep all our customers happy and please feel assured that it wasnt intentional. As you mentioned you enjoyed your meals and we hope to see you in the future. If you wish to speak to me please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“From a regular, to Giving it a miss...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I write this review feeling upset and gutted.

Ariete has always been a firm fave of mine and my partners restaurants / celebration meals. we have been going now for the last 3 years and always enjoyed it.

The staff are pleasant and helpful and the food was beautiful. However the last 2 visits have let me down.

I took my partner to celebrate our anniversary. I called and booked a table and asked for a bottle of champagne on arrival as we are celebrating. When we arrived we were asked to chose a table...(It was freezing as a draft was coming through the closed doors) I think they had forgotten about us. The "pink" champagne that was mentioned on the telephone never arrived and when asked i was advised they don't have any pink champagne in so not sure why it was offered?

Im not sure whats happened but the staff seem to have disappeared leaving 3 people working a busy saturday night, the starters were left on the table when the mains arrived, the chap (I think owner) apologised which was fine, however we waited for our cutlery and i had to get up and go to the kitchen and request pepper, cheese and chase our beers that we had waited for, for over 20mins...

I think we will give this place a miss for a while and i hope they can return to their excellent service and beautiful italian food... Need more staff & lights need dimming and a little warmer...

• Visited July 2013