“Was not expecting this Hotel to be up to standard but a nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23

You added Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23 to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lodge Lane, Newton Le Willows WA12 0JG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Strathaven
“Was not expecting this Hotel to be up to standard but a nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Well after reading mixed reviews booked this Hotel for a weekend stay and was extremely glad that I did. Had read that the Reception staff were not very pleasant well all I can say is the girl who dealt with me was one of the most pleasant Receptionists I have dealt with and could not do enough for us and there was a wedding going on at the same time and the Reception was extremely busy. Our room was very clean and larger than I expected. The bathroom was a little tired but sufficient for our purpose. We had breakfast at the reduced price of £9.95 and it was satisfactory and we were about the last down on Sunday morning and the staff were very helpful and went out of their way to get us more fresh orange, coffee, tea, etc. The Lounge/Bar was very clean and nice and again the staff were very good and no criticism can be given - I have paid more to stay in better hotels and not been given the same type of service as I had at the weekend. All in all would definately go back and would recommend that if anybody is in the area that they should try it.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is good as you do not hear any noise if there happens to be a wedding on
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Linda B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am very pleased that the hotel and staff service outweighed your expectations. Your comments will be shared with all the teams.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Came to visit friends and family.

Start out at check in learning the breakfast "deal". Pay 9.95 night before or 13 day of breakfast. Didn't help that a lot of food simply sat out and was not fresh. The girl who is the greeter couldn't bother with people or get us coffee. Service was poor and the food wasn't worth 10 quid. Over the days the service was obviously run by unmotivated staff.

Get into the room and the sofa had disgusting white stains. As well as the chair by the table. Was not cleaned the 5 days we were there.

There was a wedding one night. 1am I had to go downstairs to the front desk and tell them children were running around screaming at the top of their lungs. If they hold weddings they should have staff patrolling the hallways keeping order. Respect the guests that shell out to stay at your hotel.

Overall the condition of the hotel isn't that great. Could not get the room to cool down (even though it was late October). Opening windows lead to insects coming in. Bathroom was small and the shower is super short. I'm only 5'9" and towered over the shower head.

Definitely not staying at this property ever again. Even as a priority rewards member I'll stay at a different hotel when in this part of the UK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear aspex,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologise for the dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay.

Your feedback has been shared with the relevant Managers in order that they can take the necessary steps to improve service delivery.

I appreciate your comments and should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my Husband and children for a night. I must say the staff very excellent nothing was took much trouble. They were fantastic with my son who has ADHD. Had room service which was good, breakfast was nice the following morning. Pool is nice and warm. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Helen T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am very pleased that the staff interacted so well with your son and that you felt nothing was too much trouble. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The first thing to say is we didn't stay over at the hotel so cannot comment on the rooms. We attended a friends wedding here, with the ceremony, wedding breakfast and reception held there. I've used Holiday Inn before so we had high hopes. We had an enjoyable day, but were left somewhat disappointed by the 'hotel' experience.
THE GOOD POINTS
The hotel is ideally located near the M6 motorway and East Lancashire Road, so perfect if you live a distance away (good for Haydock races too which is next door). The hotel is well presented, nicely fitted out, with comfortable chairs in the bar area.
THE BAD POINTS
Unfortunately we found quite a few of the staff were a little unfriendly and looked really fed up - not ideal when you're at a wedding! The bar prices are way too high, costing nearly £9 for a beer and a vodka, lime and lemonade. Not only that the lemonade was flat. I also witnessed flat beer being served and two complaints about the quality of the drinks being served in the short time I was at the bar. The food served at the wedding breakfast was, frankly, disappointing too. The produce used seemed cheap (veg and potatoes) and the chicken was not well cooked or presented. The pudding had signs it had just been popped out of the packaging and had a processed taste to it. Disappointing for a wedding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear baileysmiths,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay.

I am glad that, overall, you had an enjoyable day, but was disappointed to read that the guest service experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the relevant managers for them to action accordingly.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will consider visiting us again to experience the hotel in its true light. Should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We needed an overnight stay in the area and when booking a twin room online for £58 for a Saturday night thought that was good value, when we arrived we were advised that didn't include breakfast and would we like it, saying yes we were told that it would be cheaper to buy 2 x £9.95 vouchers for breakfast rather than the £13+ pp in the morning! So beware - book including breakfast or buy the vouchers when checking in! As I am unable due to health reasons to eat a full English my breakfast consisted of 1 box of Frosties, 1 piece of toast with marmalade and 1 mug of tea and for that it cost me £9.95 (if I hadn't had the vouchers it would have cost me £13+ absolutely ludicrous). I find it really hard that the hotel can justify charging this amount for people who cannot eat a full hearty English breakfast.

Sadly we didn't have a good night's seep either, as it was a Saturday evening there was a Wedding Breakfast going on, lots of people milling around the bar area so didn't appear anywhere to sit for a quiet drink. Guests were smoking in front of the automatic doors therefore the outer doors were staying open and the smoke was heavily invading the reception & bar area and to our astonishment the Restaurant as well, we did mention it and the manager went to keep an eye on it. What is it with smokers that they have to be so selfish and stand in front of automatic doors causing the doors to stay open and right next to the signs telling them not to smoke there. Went into the restaurant for evening meal and although the food was perfect and the staff first class; we felt disappointed that we could smell cigarette smoke coming in from the reception area. I am also surprised that smoking is still allowed in certain rooms, because when we were walking around the smell of stale smoke was very evident everywhere even on our non smoking 3rd floor and corridors.

We settled down to go to sleep about 11pm, there was a bit of noise in the corridor but thought this would abate by midnight - how wrong could we be! Unfortunately for us the wedding guests were also staying in rooms in our corridor and we seemed to have been given a room in the midst of them!!!! Between 11pm and 5:00am they were persistently in and out of rooms, shouting, slamming doors you name they were doing it - loudly!!! Yes this went on for 6 hours!!!! Needless to say we did not get any sleep until it went quiet about 5:30am but by then we weren't relaxed having to listen to these guests obnoxious & selfish behaviour, they never gave one thought for other guests in our corridor on 3rd floor. At one point I did call out of our open door asking them politely to be quiet please as we wanted to sleep - all to no avail. So was left no choice but to report it about 4am to downstairs staff and was assured they would look into it.

On a plus side and to the credit of the reception staff when we checked out and told them that we hadn't had any sleep due to the other guests behaviour, they were very sympathetic and apologised immediately; they also removed the room charge from our final bill. We were glad we had reported the problem as the gentleman I spoke to had notified reception that there had been a complaint prior to us checking out. Sorry to say but I would never stay at this hotel again because of our experience as after all we can only go by what happened to us.

Room Tip: Check to see if there is a wedding venue or even a party happening the day you are staying and find...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Magsie_10,

I am sorry that you did not experience a pleasant nights sleep due to the lack of consideration of other guests. I am pleased however that the reception team dealt with your concerns to your satisfaction.
Your feedback regarding the cost of breakfast and the availability of pricing options has been made available to our Head Office Food and Beverage Development team for their consideration.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will consider us again when next in the area. Should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst on business in the North West. Excellent location for nearby motorway network giving easy access to the large conurbations of Manchester and Liverpool. The premises are entered through vehicle barriers. Plenty of car parking spaces. Whilst my check in was swift and easy, I witnessed others having problems. One person complaining that his room smelt of smoke. I also noted that the 1st floor corridor smelt of smoke. I had booked a double room but was given a twin. This didn't bother me as I was only stopping 2 nights. The room was clean with basic furnishing. Medium sized flat screen TV (No Sky TV) desk and chairs are old and basic but functional. Basic Tea and Coffee making facilities. Bathroom was also clean although towel ( Not plural) was small and rough. Small selection of soaps and shampoos etc. These are not replaced daily. The restaurant on both evenings offered a buffet style meal. An Indian on one night and Mediterranean on the 2nd night. The food was good value for money. The staff were pleasant, polite and helpful. The bar area offers the usual selection you would expect. Prices are realistic and drinks are not over priced. Football was shown in the bar on the evening. Breakfast seemed ok although i did not sample the cooked breakfast. Overall an average rating for this hotel. I have stayed in nicer hotels but I have also stayed in poorer hotels in this area. Last point. The gym is good, plenty of equipment to use free of charge. The pool looked really nice although I did not use it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Zeke G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am pleased that that your evening dining experiences were positive, that the staff were helpful and you found the food to be of good value.

I appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next on business in the area.

Doncaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We as 4 couples stayed sat 27th and sun 28th oct on b&b plus dinner as a base whilst going to aintree races. We tried to check in at noon on way to races and managed to get 1room to leave cases until we returned(the lady on reception could do with some customer relation training,there is no need to be so blunt and unfriendly). We had a 3course dinner on a table for 8 and the quality of food and service by the restaurant staff was excellent! The rooms were very pleasant and clean. Breakfast about as good as any we have had(hot food replenished regularly). Dinner again on the sunday was top notch although service somewhat slower. All in all a most enjoyable weekend apart from 1thing-- I know that beer or lager is more expensive in hotels but to charge £7-50 for a 250ml glass of wine when you can buy the same wine in a shop at £5 a bottle is too much to bare-come on holiday inn its cost you the 5th green circle!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: get a double or twin with sofa bed and you get bigger room for same price
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Marknewson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am pleased that the hotel was able to provide you with an early check-in, allowing you time to prepare for the races at leisure and that your dining experiences were positive.

Your feedback regarding the cost of beverages has been made available to our Head Office Food and Beverage Development team for their consideration.

I appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel for future race dates.

Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23? Share your experiences!