“Very good but.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Haydock
England, Arkansas
“Very good but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Went to a wedding. Outside area and marquis brilliant. Good rooms. Good food. My only quibble was the extortionate price of the drinks. The marquis area was also dearer than the main bar. If they charged less for the drinks people wouldn't be bringing their own !!

• Stayed June 2013
MissB1, General Manager at Thistle Haydock, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review and I am really pleased to hear that you had a brilliant time in the Marquee for the wedding you attended. Please do contact us directly if you wish to discuss the prices further. We do price ourselves competitively against similar standard venues giving the same standard of services and we are unfortunately unable to compete with local public house prices. I will ensure your comments are shared with the team and I am glad that overall you had a very good stay with us.

Best Regards
Kim Burrows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend with a few other people and we all found our rooms to be very comfortable and clean the lady at reception was very helpful and polite at check in which is exactly what you want when arriving at a hotel for the first time, staff at the bar were nice and but prices are high as expected in a hotel though.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and even though there seemed to be some kind of buffet on and was extremely busy the staff couldn't have been more helpful and professional the young girl who served us ( Natalie) was extremely polite and friendly and couldn't do enough for us giving us recommendations on meals which turned out to be one of the nicest meals I've had so I would defiantly recommend the food, And the lady who seemed to be in charge I think her name was (Maxine) was also lovely.
We couldn't have asked for better service. We will be staying here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MissB1, General Manager at Thistle Haydock, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Lucy

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback it is much appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and in particular found the team helpful and polite. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team and I know Natalie and Maxine will be very pleased!
We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is one of those hotels that attempts to get away with a 4* rating on the basis of having spa facilities, being large and 'in the countryside'.
The reality is as follows:
- cleanliness is a major issue; there were some extremely worrying stains everywhere, in my particularly in the bathroom (by the toilet);
- the decor is very old and dated;
- beds are uncomfortable with springs you can feel digging into you;
- no aircon on a hot July day;
- the telly takes a few minutes to switch on and then presents a poor picture;
- the gym is the size of a single bedroom with no space whatsoever for stretching (machines are dangerously close together);
- service in the restaurant is poor and amateur (typically employees appear very young and untrained in customer service).
I stayed with two colleagues ok business and we will be working in the area until November. After the first night, we are cancelling all future reservations and will not stay here again. It isn't fit for purpose.

• Stayed July 2013
MissB1, General Manager at Thistle Haydock, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear reviewer

I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay and I have some obvious concerns regarding your comments, without knowing the details or room number etc. I am unable to investigate further at this point . Please do contact me directly and I will most certainly pursue. As you can see from the majority of other comment this is highly unusual and troubling. Unfortunately not all our room types have air-conditioning however a good proportion do which we would try to allocate first, we also have various room types available which may be more suitable to your needs.

Best Regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice big rooms. Staff are helpful and friendly. The meals are pretty standard... Nothing to get excited about! The facade looks grander than hotel actually is... Fine for an overnight stay especially if you're going to the races at Haydock.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback which will be shared amongst the team. I am glad that generally you enjoyed your stay and found the team Helpful and friendly.

Best regards
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

i recently visited this hotel, due to attending a friends wedding, the ground are absolutely beautiful and well kept. We was attending a 2pm wedding and arrived around 12 to have drinks in the bar, prices was quite expensive but we paid them none of the less as the atmosphere was great, me and my partner noticed 2 staff members working very hard and none stop, Adam(I think was a manager) and Michelle(who said she worked in the restaurant) these 2 members of staff worked amazingly hard, Adam always offered a smile and kept asking was we ok as he passed, and Michelle was a very pleasant girl who attended to every person in our party as though they was the only people in the room, she was very friendly and hard working girl, she even served us champagne after the ceremony, hours after we 1st spoke to her but she still smiled and made us feel special. We eventually went through to a largish marquee for the wedding breakfast, the lay out was absolutely gorgeous, stunning wedding layout! Food was gorgeous, hats off to the chef. The marquee was however, VERY hot as it was a warm day, the management should take this into account for their staff, us wedding goers could come and go out the marquee as we pleased but I guess this would be hard for staff. We returned to pick my family up the day after and Michelle was working in the restaurant again, she recognised us from the previous day and made sure everything had run smoothly, we didn't eat breakfast as we was only picking someone up but family members said it was lovely, and the girls in restaurant was making sure everything was fully stocked and fresh. I am looking for a wedding venue and I am now strongly considering having it here, a lovely hotel, with lovely staff, a perfect venue for any special occasion in my eyes, 100% for ADAM and MICHELLE, thanks guys

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

We greatly appreciate your comments and Michelle and Adam are particularly delighted! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended. Please do contact Kath our wedding co-ordinater who will be happy to assist you with any wedding enquiry you may have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

A three night stay, during the heat wave, found the rooms very comfortable. The air conditioning is very efficient, even able to leave on all night without too much noise intrusion. My room I found clean, beds comfortable, the shower very good.
Eating at the hotel was not inspiring but more than adequate, breakfast I found to be the best meal of the day with a good choice to choose from.
The staff were attentive and friendly, all in all a pleasant experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MissB1, General Manager at Thistle Haydock, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback which is much appreciated and I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay and found the team attentive and friendly. I will ensure your comments are shared with the team, thank you for choosing Thistle Haydock and we hope to see you again soon.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I had our wedding reception at the Thistle Haydock in May and the only thing I regret is being nervous beforehand. If I'd had a crystal ball in the days leading up to the wedding I could have relaxed safe in the knowledge of how perfect and faultless the whole experience was going to be left in the hands of Kath, Jonathon and all the staff.
Everything, to name the food (which almost every single one of our guests commented how incredible it was) to the decoration of the reception room, to the luxury of the honeymoon suite exceeded our expectations. I honestly believe that unless I was multi millionaire and able to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on my wedding that I could have hunted around for months and not found a better option than the Thistle. Ironically we only chose the Thistle by chance when our previous wedding venue cancelled on us - talk about every cloud having a silver lining; this was a solid gold lining !
If you are not looking at the Thistle for a wedding you still won't be dissapointed; it has fantastic leisure facilities, Sky Sports in all the bars, wonderful gardens etc etc, great food.
Thanks again Kath and Jonathon for all you did for us, I'm sorry it took me long to get round to writing this review.

Room Tip: Get married and get the Honeymoon Suite!