“Fab lunch!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inkpen
The Swan Inn
You added The Swan Inn to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Craven Road, Lower Green, Inkpen, Hungerford RG17 9DX, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Inkpen B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fab lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We found the The Swan Inn by accident, following the brown tourist signs once through Hungerford, towards Inkpen and were really pleased we did. As a family that eat out regularly, we have high expectations and these are quite often not met. The Swan Inn did not disappoint; very friendly service from the staff, excellent extensive menu and when it arrived (promptly and hot) the portion sizes were generous and freshly cooked. My husband had the (now infamously reviewed on this website!) seafood risotto which he thought was delicious, and the other meals we had were equally as good. We declined dessert (too full!) but were pleased to read that they were homemade which is rare these days; the table next to us ordered summer pudding which looked fab and they seemed to be enjoying it!

We will gladly visit again, this time on purpose.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kintbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I came back as i was working in the area. Long story short, bar and waiting staff again were brilliant, landlord overwhelming, very drunk man at the bar (think he's the one who sleeps over). Food was ok and limited menu with pasta or beef. The chef seemed (pardon the pun) to be swanning around the pub telling people how wonderful he was and where he had worked before. Shame as its is in a good location.
Probably explains why it's empty and not full of locals. I stayed in another pub locally and it was packed with regulars. Rooms and pub looking a bit dated now.

• Stayed August 2012
Kintbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived we all said to eachother this looks amazing! We ordered our food and the waitress arrived with our food 1 hour after we ordered it. Not only was the service poor but my starter was freezing cold and my plate was cold. We told the waitress about the cold food although she did apologise she didn't make an offer to take it off of the bill afterwards. Everyone else's food was nice but just my starter and the poor service made us not want to go there again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hampton Hill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We decided to escape the heatwave in London and head for the countryside. My hubbie booked this last minute on booking.com and upgraded to a 'superior room' for an extra £5. He warned me that, having looked at the website, it wouldn't be 'luxury' but it would be comfortable and, hopefully, cooler than in London. He was right.

Inkpen is a small village in the countryside and parts of the pub are ancient with old timbers in the restaurant area.

The staff are friendly but it's busy and sometimes there isn't time to chat. The barman showed us our room. It was pretty much as we had expected: comfortable but not high spec. We opened the windows as the room was a little stale-smelling. Not sure the windows were opened often and that's probably because Room 6 is above the kitchen extractor fan! There was a faint whiff of chip fat. Not too bad though.

The small bathroom had a shower only. Fine. Some of the fittings were held together with sticky tape. Bit odd. Nice big white bath towels and plenty of hot water.

We ate in the bar and had a really lovely meal. From other reviews, it looks as though the chef (and perhaps most of the staff) are Italian. There's local meat which was highly recommended by other reviewers and my hubbie had fillet steak which he really enjoyed. He declined the vegetables and opted for salad and chips - the chef asked the waiter to double-double-check that. Clearly not what he was used to! I went for the ravioli in a tomato sauce which was really the best I've ever had, though it wasn't very warm!

Breakfast was OK. I ordered bacon (really lovely) and tomatoes and hubbie saw that croissants were on the menu. The waitress checked they were available and they were so he opted for that. Shame they weren't from a local baker's, just bog-standard Tesco's we suspected. We also ordered grapefruit (tinned). We were a little surprised when the toast and my cooked breakfast came out first, then the croissant, then the grapefruit. A bit odd.

In a nutshell, the food is excellent, the staff are friendly, our room was slightly smelly and noisy (kitchen extractor fan below us and a water tank constantly filling up in the roof above us), the furnishings are a bit tired in the bar and it's a place looking for a bit of TLC. It's fine for what it is.

Room Tip: Room 6 is above the kitchen extractor fan and directly underneat a water tank in the roof which seem...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Lovely countryside , real old fashioned rural pub . Long may these sort of places survive with very friendly helpful staff and locals. The only suggestion I have is advertise yourselves for what you are , a real friendly cosy independant country inn. We upgraded to a superior room , it was a nice room and served its purpose but not what guests expect in this decade as superior. There were also housekeeping and maintenance issues which need to be addressed. We had a meal from the restaurant and it was a nice honest meal but not gourmet and a little expensive for what it was.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room very near some air conditioning units which were used for the onsite farm shop...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Idanha-a-Nova, Castelo Branco, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Swan, Inkpen
5th-14th July, 2012
Off the beaten track, this old inn is well worth seeking out, whether for a few nights stay in one of their comfortable, country-shabby rooms, enjoying a delicious meal of mainly organic and locally sourced produce, or simply an evening in the bar, sampling local real ale and the friendly and entertaining banter.

I was much impressed by the quality of service. The staff clearly work very hard to ensure that every guest is well looked after, although it was evident that the absence on holiday of two key employees was creating difficulties for the team, who were finding it impossible to be in two places at once.

If you do happen to find your way to this "hidden gem" to eat, I particularly recommend the Seafood Risotto, one of the tastiest I've ever had, prepared authentically by the Sicilian chef. To follow I would suggest the Summer Pudding made, as at home, with fruit in season; in my case primarily tart blackcurrants , not too sweet and bursting with flavour.  Chef was happy, on a couple of occasions, to tailor a dish to my own preferences, so there should never be anything to complain about.  I ate there every evening and never sent back anything except clean plates. To drink I especially enjoyed  the local Jester bitter, with complex flavours- not knockout at 3.5%. The landlord's own homemade sloe gin is pretty good too. I should also mention the delicious breakfasts which were freshly cooked to order.

As for the location, the village is one of the prettiest in West Berkshire, with plenty to offer the walker and countryside enthusiast.  It is also in a good location to easily reach the small town of Hungerford and the larger ones of Newbury and Swindon. Do allow for the possibility of getting lost on the tiny lanes.  The Swan is well signposted from one direction and not at all from the other.

Finally, I should mention that The Swan has an organic shop, selling beef and other produce from the landlord's organic farm. I didn't get around to browsing the shop because I don't eat meat. Nearly at the end of my stay, I discovered that they also sell a wider range of other organic produce from a  supplier in London and that they use local, organic produce in the restaurant as far as possible. I suggested to the landlord that he should market this better, as "local organic" is the Holy Grail of the food industry and if better advertised, could bring more custom beating a path to his door.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Millthorpe, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As Australians we had forgotten about different closing times of country pubs in the UK and called in to The Swan Inn to "have the one" just after lunch - our host, thought about to head home for a, no doubt, well earned rest couldn't have been more hospitable. He served us the hoped for pint of Guinness, yarned about locals and all there was to enjoy in the area - our thanks for a true country pub welcome!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!