“Fantastic location, terible hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Monkey Island Hotel
Bray on Thames SL6 2EE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bray on Thames
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
“Fantastic location, terible hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I came here for a wedding, and it is a dream location for this. Beautiful gardens, Nice buildings. Away from the hustle an bustle of life.

The staff were great, and everything went off well. Butt the bedrooms were due a major overhawl. Broken tiles, pealing wallpaper. old paint. On the other hand the bed was absolutly new, and very comfortable. They must be busy doing renovation, so if you read this some time in the future it may be very different.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David M, General Manager at Monkey Island Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments following your stay at Monkey Island. I am delighted that you found our setting, location and grounds the ideal setting for a wedding reception - a little 'escape' from the real World as you say!

I would also like to reassure you that we are redecorating several bedrooms at the moment, and planning to do some more refurbishment work over the Winter to ensure the bedroom décor and maintenance matches the splendour of the rest of the property.

I would however like to thank you for your comments and feedback.

DAVID M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Windsor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I came to monkey island recommended by a close friend of mine. I had chosen to take my 3 guests to the carvery lunch a few weeks ago and although the food was very nicely presented and most of it tasted great I was extremely disappointed that they had run out of turkey in which I was not offered anything else as we are poultry eaters. The member of staff politely asked if everything was ok with the food and I informed them of my complaint in which they were very apologetic and said they would pass the comments onto the front of house manager, in which we saw the member of staff talking to the front of house manager and explaining the issue to him, which we then heard the manger say "tell them to(swearing), they are lieing , they just want free food," Later the member of staff came over again apologising and offered us complimentary tea and coffee in which we were so embarrassed and angry that a high level member of staff in his suit could say such a thing. We just paid and left. I assure you I will never be stepping foot on monkey island again for as long as that manager is still working there.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
I was extremely disappointed to read your recent review of your visit to Monkey Island Hotel for our Sunday carvery, and would like to apologise most profusely for the comments directed at you by one of our 'front of house managers'.

Clearly such attitude and tone has no place in the hospitality industry and I will ensure the relevant person understands that their conduct was not only completely unacceptable but also upsetting and distressful for yourselves. I am also sorry that the turkey dish on our carvery was not replenished. Although we had a very busy lunch on the weekend in question, we should not have run out of turkey particularly as a lot of people will not eat pork, or red meat.

As a consequence, we will be commencing service retraining this week for both managers and staff, as clearly on this occasion we got this completely wrong. I can understand your thoughts on not returning to Monkey Island, but would hope that you would return at some point in the future so that we could show you the standards of food and service we can deliver.

Thank you for drawing this matter to my attention

Travelers are raving about these Bray on Thames hotels

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I attended a friends wedding here and the surroundings were just beautiful.

The wedding was held in the grounds outside next to the Thames and it was absolutely beautiful. Great location, feel like you're tucked away in your own little private hotel!

I thought the bar staff were really slow and quite rude sometimes, the hotel obviously has a major issue with wasps on the premises which was a complete nightmare when people were trying to eat in the evening, plus I didn't actually stay in the rooms and that's why I've given it 4 out of 5. Realistically, I'd probably have given it 3.5 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
David M, General Manager at Monkey Island Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Hayleigh

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your visit to Monkey Island Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed the ambience, gardens and surroundings so much.

My sincere apologies for the service you received at the bar - clearly this did not match your other experiences at the hotel, and or this I am very sorry.

Thanks you for taking the time to review us at Monkey Island

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had dinner there yesterday, and although the table was booked at the Pavillion Restaurant, there was a wedding on, so our booking was moved to the Garden Room, which lacked ambiance completely.

We were the only 2 people in the "restaurant" and with no background music, it felt a bit odd, to be the only 2 there, however we enjoyed the peace and quiet and being able to just talk.

The garden room was right by the river, so great view, but the room did look a little tired and old-fashioned.

Food was ok, not spectacular.

We ate from the Terrasse and Bar menu rather than the A La Carte (this one was a bit too weird).

I had spinach and watercress soup to start - ver ynice and lots of flavour.

Main course: Sirloin steak (medium to well done) with chips, grilled tomato, mushroom, lettuce. It was just ok, not very much flavour to the steak, and it was a little tough to cut even with a steak knife. Tomatoes were cold when served.

Dessert: I did order a Baileys Creme Brulee - BUT what I actually got was a rhubarb creme brulee, not sure why????? It was great though, just the right amount of sweetness with a slight acidity from the rhubarb, it would have been good though to have had what I actually ordered. My partner ordered 3 scoops of ice cream, and also this was wrong when served. He got Cherry ice cream instead of chocolate icecream.

However it is a great location!
Would go again in the Summer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your dinner at Monkey island Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the confusion over your dessert as well as the poor atmosphere in the Garden room. You make some valid points with regards to the food quality and although 'satisfactory', I accept we need to be 'upping' our game and 'wowing you' with our food offering, particularly in an area renowned for its restaurants.

I would however like to thank you for your feedback and hope you may visit again in the future

West Kirby, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Beautiful location, we spent one night here September 2013 whilst visiting the Fat Duck.

Room was very average, but nothing was wrong with it as such.

Lovely little bar, we had one drink before leaving for dinner. Would like to have experienced breakfast - we'd come again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy

Thank you for your recent comments following your visit to Monkey Island Hotel. I am pleased you found our setting on The Thames and location in Bray both attractive and perfect for your requirements. I also accept that some of our rooms need some work doing to them to match the grandeur of our exterior, and I hope this Winter we will refurbish several of these bedrooms.

Thank you once again for your feedback

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed for a wedding. Surroundings were beautiful & picturesque. Fab for a wedding. However our room was very tired & dated. Stains on the blinds, lots of mould in bathroom, plug didn't work in the bath so had to keep it running, toilet seat was falling off, decor was like something from the 70's, bed extremely uncomfortable & pillows very hard. Our room telephone just didnt work so we could never call reception etc. And finding a spare plug point was non existent!! Not at all reflective on the price you pay!!!
However our friends room opposite was lovely, all modern and new bathroom! For the same price I might add!!
Also I ordered room service which included a pot of tea and they delivered it with no milk or sugar!!!! As there was no working phone I had to walk to reception to ask!! Plus when I ordered the room service my husband was sat at the bar, to which he heard the staff complaining that someone had ordered room service & he quickly pointed out that it was his room she was all apologetic!! Terrible.
I would recommend a wedding there but I wouldn't ever stay there again. Definitely don't get your money's worth!!

• Stayed September 2013
southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

When you arrive at the car park and see the swans and ducks on the river it gives you that relaxing feeling which we had the whole time we were there. I loved the walk over the bridge when you are then greeted by this beautiful white building we could hear a peacock calling it was magical. We had a room overlooking the river with French doors opening out where we sat having a drink watching the boats and the rowers going by.Our room was cosy and clean, nicely decorated in keeping with the character of the house. We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be as good as any in a top London Eatery, good choice of wine and excellent service. Breakfast in the morning was cooked to order as we had smoked haddock which was delicious. When we were checking out we chatted to the lady on reception who told us the history of the building which was fascinating. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor overlooking the river