“If you like fried food, you're in for a treat” 2 of 5 stars

249A London Road | Hazel Grove, Stockport SK7 4PL, England
0161 483 2353
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 349 Restaurants in Stockport
“If you like fried food, you're in for a treat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I really wanted to like this place with it being fairly local and a small and what seemed like family run restaurant, but am sorry to say I wasn't all that impressed.

The staff members were pleasant, and we were treated very well whilst making our booking over the phone and during our time in the establishment. My partner can only drink water and they were very good about this, coming to the table without being asked and topping his glass up. In other restaurants, you can be made to feel a little awkward asking for water, but here we were made to feel very comfortable

The place itself is very small and you get the feeling you are in someone's front room. Whilst we were there, panpipes were playing on the stereo. The female toilet made a strange noise when I flushed it and I was quite shocked to see that kitchen roll was hanging up on the wall for customers to dry their hands on!

If you want beef, lamb or pork, don't expect to be able to order it here. The available mains were duck, fish and chicken. We ordered a Bunga Raya special rice and a rendang. Both were ok. The starters were the let down. The only options available were deep fried. We ended up ordering a sharing platter, which can only be described as 'beige'. There were about 5 or 6 different fried starters, which all looked the same, just with different shapes. The fillings were almost nonexistent, so couldn't really be tasted.

I'm glad I tried the Bunga Raya so I know what it's like, but won't be going back. Despite the lovely service, I just felt like the food wasn't authentic or healthy enough - sorry.

On the positive side, the bill cam to less than £30 for two of us!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

madchester
“Probably the best in the world: Carlsberg used the Bunga Reputation !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Always my pleasure to attend Bunga Raya,spicey peanut salad and satay sticks a must as a starter.Kung po prawns and a Peter surprise me hot fish dish.After spending four weeks in Marbella I was in need of fantastic food and It surpassed all expectations.Cant wait for my next visit :)

• Visited June 2013
Radcliffe, United Kingdom
“Quality Malaysian food with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was passing through Hazel Grove earlier this month and decided to see how things were at the Bunga Raya after reading a less than complimentary review by another person who seems to be alone in criticising this gem of a Malaysian restaurant.

I wrote the following review for the Manchester Evening News in 2011

Some of the aficionados of good food amongst you will remember I wrote a review of the Bunga Raya in 2006 when it was in Lower Hillgate, Stockport. So what has changed? Let me tell you… It moved to Hazel Grove and got better !!!!!

The menu has changed slightly with choices to suit all, whether meat eaters, like our dinner companions, or vegetarians like her ladyship and yours truly. There are thirteen appetisers, four soups, fifteen fish dishes, ten chicken dishes, five duck dishes, nine rice dishes, ten noodle dishes and nine vegetarian dishes to choose from.

We shared the ‘Bunga Raya special’, a composition of six meat and veggie appetisers for starters.

Then her ladyship and I chose sweetcorn soup and our companions the chicken soup with mushrooms.

For main course one of our companions chose the ‘’Makan Laut’’, a dish of prawns, fish, tofu, pepper, ginger, onions and baby corn and the other the ‘‘Drunken chicken’ cooked with cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, pepper, wine and ginger. Her ladyship had ’Sambal vegetables’ with red chill, lemon grass, garlic, onions and belacan and I had ‘mixed vegetables with sweet and sour sauce’.

Desserts are available if you have the room and the whole meal was washed down with a delightful red wine. All for under sixty pounds! Why not try it for yourself?

So has the Bunga Raya changed for the worse? NO it certainly has not !!!!

Peter still serves quality Malaysian food [ and I should know as I once lived in Malaya] and although the menu has changed slightly the service is still the same high standard as always.

For a consistently high standard of Malaysian food and service for more than nine years, it opened in 2004, there is only one place to eat in Stockport and that is at the Bunga Raya Malaysian Restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great Place To eat In Hazel Grove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Been here many times. Peter the owner is very friendly and runs a nice place.
Food always excellent and all reasonably priced. Drinks are not overpriced either for a restaurant.
If you are looking for somewhere it dine in Hazel Grove this is it. Advisable to book at weekends as its only small. Not open on a Monday except bank holidays. Don't take cards so you need to remember this.

• Visited May 2013
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

we were looking forward to some stunning food as we have read various reviews elsewhere on how good it is here. it wasnt !
there is a quite extensive menu that promises a wide variety of tastes so we opted to share a banquet to get as many tastes as possible . however we were not treated to a true sample of malaysian cuisine as much of it tasted the same and much like a poor quality chinese takeaway.
it all seemed a bit rushed despite there only being a few people in , more care is needed in making the food taste better.....perhaps better quality produce is needed and change the oil its cooked in !

• Visited April 2013