“Short but very sweet stay” 5 of 5 stars

FREE BREAKFAST FOR GUESTS
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Stockport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Swindon
“Short but very sweet stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wanted somewhere close to Manchester Airport that wasn't a "Plastic Chain" hotel to stay after a long and late flight before the drive home to South Wales, and this place was recommended by a relative.

What a good find! Good secure car parking, and even though we didn't eventually get there until 3am the Night Porter knew we were coming, couldn't have been more helpful and showed us all the way to our room. Really comfy bed, good facilities, great breakfast and great staff.

One aside - I know that the tap water has to be at least a certain temperature to avoid nasty bugs, but you need mixer taps to make it safe, more so if we'd had kids in the room with us. Very minor comment, though!!

Will be booking here again whenever I fly from Ringway!!

tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your short stay with us on returning from your holiday.
Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your overall experience I will certainly communicate your kind words to my Team.
I will however be following up your comments on the temperature of the hot water thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Kind regards Jill Tavini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Really disappointed. Booked this hotel based on reviews on this website. The first night there was a wedding party, so we were kept up until 1pm by the loud music, then another half hour whilst they noisily packed away. It is now 10pm on our second night, and there is loud party music again, due to go on until 12.30am. The rooms are so hot, you have to keep the windows open. The hotel say they have no other rooms we can move to. I'm expecting some kind of compensation for the lack of sleep! We came here for a restful night after walking all day in the Peak District. Would definitely not recommend this hotel!

tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest thank you for your comments l am very sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations & l sincerely apologise for Friday & Saturday evenings loud music.
At the Weekends we are a popular Wedding & Events Hotel which we do promote as such on our Web site. Our many reviews on Trip Advisor are proportionately from our happy Weddings & Events guests.
It was very hot weather the weekend you stayed so guest rooms & the function suite windows had been left open, when we realised the problem at around 10.30 on the Saturday evening we shut the events rooms windows & suggested to guest to close their windows, we provided fans to those who asked.
We were unable to facilitate your request to move you on the Saturday evening to a quieter area of the Hotel as we were full.
I have taken action immediately in regards to your comments about Bands & DJs loading up & have asked them to be more considerate of our Hotel Guests when leaving the Hotel & thank you for pointing this out.
Kind regards Jill Tavini
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had the builders in, so decided for our sanity, to move out for a few days.
The double room we stayed in was obviously newly refurbished with a flat screen TV, bath room that positively sparkled with plenty of hot water & I would love to know where the curtains & bed linen came from.
The bed was actually comfier than the one at home!!
We have eaten in Luigis restaurant before and were not disappointed during our stay. The 2 course residents menu @ £16.50 had plenty to chose from and the bar snack menu is quite extensive too.
The staff were helpful & attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Hubby had to leave for work very early one morning and the receptionist suggested that he might like a continental breakfast earlier than the normal listed times. So he might not have got his bacon & eggs but he certainly had plenty of tea / toast / cereal & fruit before he left.!!
This family run hotel is brilliant value compared to some others in the area, your full English breakfast is included in the price & the free wifi is a bonus. What more can you ask for?
We have a family wedding coming up shortly & will certainly suggest the Alma Lodge to the guests needing accommodation.

tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for such great feedback after your recent stay at the Alma Lodge Hotel and a special thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We realise you have a choice when selecting a hotel so it is even more rewarding for the whole Alma team to read such positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back kind regards Jill Tavini
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had a fantastic day when I attended my friends wedding recently.
The room was set beautifully and could clearly see the improvements / refurbishments’ which are being made. There is a garden area leading off the main function room where we had photographs taken, it has pretty lighting for when it starts to get dark.
I stay at a lot of hotels due to work commitments and have never experienced such friendly, courteous service.

The wedding breakfast was lovely, beautiful fresh (not frozen) vegetables, I cannot comment on the evening buffet as I was still full from the afternoon meal.

I would not hesitate in recommending the Alma Lodge Hotel to family and friends.
Thank you for making us feel so welcome!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for posting such kind comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to the Alma Lodge hotel ! I am delighted you have had such positive experiences at our hotel and thank you for your recommendation. Feedback such as yours is a great motivator to our staff and we are most appreciative that you have taken the time to let us know. I very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming back on many more occasions.
stoke-on-trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

what a great stay once again.Were my husband and myself was visiting family near by the only hotel i enjoy staying at was the Alma Lodge so we there again you walk in and they greet you with a warm smile .the rooms we stayed in this time was as good as all the times we have stayed before lovey comfy bed and the bathroom looked new enjoyed a nice hot bubble bath.there was a good choice of breakfast compilent to the chef and staff pleas keep up the hard work as i will be calling again when we visiting family again or when the hotel has theme nights

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jtavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for the superb score, being a family run business we strive hard to provide excellent customer service ensuring each & every customer feels welcome & cared for. We are very pleased you have experienced this again. Our next Tribute night will most likely not be until the Autumn but you can keep up to date with our forthcoming events on our new web site.
We thank you for your business & look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Kind regards Jill & Karl Tavini
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I checked in to this hotel on the basis of the excellent reviews and will say from the outset that at £52 a night it is good value. The hotel is clean and tidy although the two rooms I stayed (26 & 27)in were extremely 'tired' and in real need of upgrading. Breakfast was particularly nice and it is a change to have an inclusive breakfast cooked to order.

Now the bad news! When I arrived in Room 26 at 9pm I found the toilet bowl was leaking onto the bathroom floor. Due the time and not expecting anything to be done that late at night I reported the problem to the receptionist at 7:30 am and saw here write an entry in the maintenance book. When I returned to the room at 7pm, a pool of water was visible by the toilet bowl. Clearly no action had been taken and this was confirmed by the receptionist. As a hygiene issue I expect this to have been dealt with and if for any reason it was unable to be resolved, I should have been advised,

Management - please do not tell me this is my fault (having read some of your previous comments it does seem that it is always the customers fault when there is an issue with the hotel!).

The wi-fi is not fit for purpose, slow in the extreme on the first night, completely unusable on the second night. This was both in my room and in the reception area. As a businessman this caused me serious problems.

Management - please do not use the excuse that the Wi-Fi is free intimating that we should therefore accept the situation (as you did to a previous reviewer) your website clearly states that 'all rooms have free wifi' NOT 'all rooms have free wifi but don't expect it to work' because its free'

The hotel is not all bad and is clearly a work in progress. Making the fault reporting more robust is essential as is dealing with the appalling wifi. I would rather pay for a working system. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone travelling for business unless you can manage without the wifi.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the modernised rooms - do NOT rely on the wifi.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our Hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.
I am sorry it was not communicated to you on arrival for your second night at the Hotel that the leaking sink tap (not the toilet) had not been fixed. The receptionist on duty should have given you the option to move to another room straight away.
It is also unfortunate that on the second night of your stay our ISP (BT broadband) was having issues in the local area, this has now been resolved.
We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our Hotel did not meet your expectations. Your feed back is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve our service.
Kind Regards Jill Tavini
Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of going to a family gathering near by.
The whole hotel was friendly and welcoming; our bedroom was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Usually hotels when you book a family room they use folding Z beds but they use proper single beds, so we all still slept well.
Breakfast in the morning was buffet style. There was plenty to choose from and the hot food was hot.

The free wifi was a great hit too with my big one and the children.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us of your excellent comments, it is very much appreciated.

Been to Alma Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!