“Certainly recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Stockport
Northen Ireland
“Certainly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night to attend a function in the hotel. The hotel was clean and all the staff we encountered were very helpful and professional. The rooms were clean and good value for money. There was good choice available for the buffet breakfast. The food was well presented and very good. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2013
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Alma Lodge Hotel for your recent stay in Stockport, the management and staff would like to thank you for your excellent review.
Its always lovely to receive reviews from customers who have enjoyed their stay, l will pass on your comments on to our staff.
We hope you will consider using us again on your next visit to Stockport, our great internet discounts can be found on the Alma Lodge web site.
Kind regards Jill Tavini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Alfreton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having experienced a bad hotel nearby and thinking of moving nearer Manchester closer to work I remembered ringing The Alma at some point earlier in 2012 spoke with Sue (Manager) also Carl (Owner). Having rang them back again by chance they remembered me. Sue asked me to pop in and have a look at a selection of rooms available and offered a good deal. I moved in the following week and was not dissapointed the place is clean the staff are always pleasant and on hand to offer advise and assistance when needed. I stayed here for 10 Months and would not hesitate to return if the need arose. The rooms are spacious with clean beds and furnature and modern flat screen tv's with built in DVD. En-suite rooms offering great accomodation at a reasonable price. What more do you want.

Room Tip: Rooms in the extension are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Dave, We have missed you here at the Alma Lodge please feel free to pop anytime, you will always be assured of a warm welcome.
Kind Regards Jill and Karl Tavini and all the staff.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent visitor to the Alma Lodge Hotel. Always my first choice when heading to see my family in Stockport, none of the other hotels in the area compare in price and quality.

The staff are always polite and on hand, food is delicious and the rooms comfortable, classy and clean.

I would highly recommend to families or single travellers.

• Stayed February 2013
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for posting your review, it is aways nice to see reviews that have been posted by guests that have visited the hotel on more than one occasion, this proves we must be maintaining our high standards. I have passed on your positive comments to the appropriate departments. Thanks you once.
Kind Regards Jill & Karl Tavini
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Apart from a somewhat curt nightporter who didn't seem to know what was going on (we checked in around midnight)- overall the experience was excellent. Good, clean spacious room - great price (especially being the United champions league game that night). The hotel staff the following morning were so friendly and helpful. This is a little gem of a hotel 5/5

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am so pleased that you found the hotel 'great value & our rooms clean and spacious. Please consider using us again for next seasons matches we will always beat the larger chain hotels on price.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a single night on recommendation. A disapponting 'welcome' set the scene for our stay. The room was clean, but was tired and in need of modernising. Heating was timed and a seperate electric heater was in the room and necessary. Dull decoration and intrusive 'picture frames' housed fire drill and no smoking signs. No heating in bathroom. A budget hotel that really doesn't compete with modern similar rated ones. Obviously popular but not for us.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
The owners and staff at the hotel work tirelessly to ensure every guest has a pleasant visit. Customer service is at the heart of everything we do, we would like to encourage customers to return time after time. I am sorry you felt disappointed with some aspects of your stay if you had mentioned this at the time we could have upgraded you to a superior room at no extra charge.
I would like to address some of the comments in your review. All bedroom radiators have thermostatic controls so you can adapt the heating to your personal tastes, additional portable radiators can be found in every room allowing you to have, heating on during the hours of 11am & 3.30pm and 1am & 5am. It would not be energy efficient or cost effective to heat 52 rooms 24hours a day. The bathrooms have a heated towel rail directly under the sink, this is in our opinion adequate heating for a bathroom. I am sorry the decor of the room was not to your personal taste, again l feel the superior rooms would have been much better suited to your needs. Please feel free to try us again we will upgrade you to a superior room at no extra cost.
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed in this 60 room hotel for 4 nights, Value for money, almost zero complaints.
Just if i had to mention something negative will be that breakfast during weekdays is only served till 9.30am, otherwise perfect.

Look for the Italian guy Franco in the Restaurant/Main area and he will be of great help.

Will definitely return!

Keith,
Malta

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your review. We are pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and the service from the waiting staff excellent (particularly Franco l will pass on your praises) We are glad that you felt you had great value for money and hope the Alma Lodge Hotel will be the hotel you choose when next visiting the Stockport area.
Kind regards Jill & Karl Tavini.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Ended up at the Alma Lodge somewhat by default with the hotel that I was initially looking at having been booked up but the rates of this hotel were less expensive and it turned out to be good value for money. Was greeted with a warm welcome and given the keys to my room on the second floor; took me a while to figure out how to get into it since it's not the standard key and lock that you usually find (plus the fact that I am a little lacking in common sense). Upon entering my room and switching on the light (which, in my room, actually switched on both the main room light and the smaller one above the work desk/ table), I noticed that the one above the table next to the window kept flickering on and off which was a pain for my eyes. Had planned to drop all my stuff off and head off anyway so asked the lady at reception on my way out whether there was any chance of getting it fixed. Returned sooner than I expected 20 minutes later to find that the light was working properly again which I was pretty impressed with.

Had no problems using the free Wi-fi. Decided to go elsewhere for dinner as what they were offering at their restaurant was quite pricey - around £15.50 for a 2-course meal and £21.50 for a 3-course meal. I don't usually have 2- or 3-course meals so can't comment as to whether this represents good value-for-money or not but splashing out so much on one meal is not something I do.

The room itself was quite nice really; it was clean, sufficiently big and the single bed was comfy. There were a few dirt marks on the walls but the room was otherwise so impeccably clean and cosy that these could easily be overlooked and excused. The TV was in working order though it would have been less strain on the back had it been on a slightly elevated table. The bathroom is also quite big, with a large mirror on the door. The toilet flushes very well. The hot water takes a while - and by this, I mean a good 5-10 minutes (rather than the 'few minutes' as stated in the instructions on operating the shower) - to get going but your patience will be rewarded when the room turns into a sauna. I went from questioning their definition of 'hot' to desperately trying to turn down the temperature having turned the tap for the shower to its maximum heat level. Could have done with some rails to hang clothes and towels though since there were none.

If there was one criticism I could make about the room, it would be the thin walls as I was woken up at 3 in the morning by people talking in the corridor (the bed is right next to the door). Would be moaning about this more if I hadn't been able to get back to sleep relatively easily. Went down to breakfast at a few minutes past 8 (breakfast is served from 8am-10am at the weekend). Initially, there was no-one there which made me wonder whether I was too early but having asked at reception, I was assured that it was ready. Was greeted by a waiter who asked me whether I wanted tea or coffee and told me that it was self-service. She also told me that I could help myself to anything except the fried eggs as they were not ready yet so I helped myself to bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, scrambled eggs and tomatoes, returning for the fried egg after I had finished all that off. Could tell that it still wasn't quite fully cooked which was a tad disappointing but it still tasted great so I can't really complain.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
tavini, Owner at Alma Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We hope you will consider using us again on your next visit to Stockport, the same internet discount can be found on our web site and we would be more than happy to upgrade your booking to a double at no extra cost.
P.S With regards to the TVs, since your comments we have installed new LCD TVs in all the single rooms so they are no longer on the walls.
Kind regards Jill & Karl Tavini

Been to Alma Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!