“Great food, great atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 379 Restaurants in Stockport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, English, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Jolly Sailor is Bringing Back Tradition. We serve food 7 days a week from 12pm-8pm in a traditional decor. We also serve Home Made Specials on a daily basis. We are a children friendly pub with ample parking (80 spaces) and a large heated outdoor area. We also offer Live Music, Comedy Nights and Motown Nights to name a few.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great food, great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went on a Sunday evening for Tea. I had a scrumptious roast beef dinner and my husband had home made steak and kidney pie, which he said was delicious! There was a varied menu and the Pub was busy. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and children are welcome with under 12's eating free! They also have a varied entertainment programme with live singers and musicians at the weekend. On Saturday 30th November they have "Flick and Dan" , Who are a fantastic young brother and sister acoustic duo who I have seen before and are very talented!
Well worth a trip, gets busy as it has a good reputation so expect to wait a while for a fresh home cooked meal, that is well worth the wait.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'm not sure the below review was in the same pub as I was because I am about to say the opposite!

I took my mum and dad in after hearing my friend saying how good it was and she was not wrong.
My mum and dad can be very critical people but they didn't have a bad thing to say about it!!!

There was a wait for food because it was rammed, but it was worth the wait.

The manager (Matt I think his name was), made a real effort to make us feel welcome. The bar staff were all really friendly and honest!

The food is really good value for money, and it's all really good quality. I had the most impressive Yorkshire pudding on my roast dinner ever! It was so big I could have worn it as a hat. Tasted really good too.

So I would definitely recommend. It's A great chilled out pub with food that won't disappoint.

Tip: The gravy is really tasty. Not bisto, for sure.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester
“Excited!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

i would echo the views of others here. I too live locally and would never have dreamed of going into this pub 6 months ago, seeing the reviews i thought it was time to give it a try. So my boyfriend and I popped for dinner the other evening.

Food is as everyone says fantastic and i can be fussy at the best of times!! its home cooked great pub food.

The staff were excellent and also said that they are planning a refurb after christmas! I really look forward to this as then hopefully the interior will match the quality of the food and this will be a great local to visit.... Exciting times!!

Visited October 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled, just try the food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Living just five minutes from the Jolly Sailor and driving past it daily I have never thought to visit.

After reading some very positive on trip advisor and forgetting to pick tea up I thought I'd give it a go.

Seeking a local pub with good home cooked food is not easy, this place though does have very good food.

Having walked in, it's clear that improvements are being made for the decor, fixtures & fitting. Don't let the dated interior put you off. A lick of paint, some new carpet and it will be a very decent place.

The food is very good, home made, sizeable and good value. Could not fault it. Don't expect top notch gastro pub fare, expect much nicer food served hot and fresh.

This place is not trying to kid anyone, it's not trying to be something it's not. It's not taken ordinary pub food, put it on trendy wooden boards or slate and charged a fortune, it's taken good pub food and cooked it right.

Don't expect to be blown away by the chef's creative genius, just expect very good food at good prices.

Wasn't expecting much, was very happy I went. Homemade pie great, fresh pastry full of filling. Steak very well seasoned and cooked, great size.

The chicken wings were great, good size, a very close impression of a 'Buffalo wing' you'll find in a Chicago dive bar. Authentic buffalo hot sauce taste.

If you're looking for an upmarket party night or white table cloths and shinny silver cutlery on tables this is not the place. If you want very good pub grub at a decent price then this is a good place to try.

The staff seem to be working hard to bring the decor and ambiance up to the level of the food, and I for one will be frequenting regularly to see how they get on.

Good food, good price.

Visited October 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We randomly came across this restraunt by checking on trip adviser for a half decent place get some decent food and jolly sailors sounded great!.. so when we arrived all the staff was friendly so we ordered our drinks, browsed the menu and decided to order the sirloin steak, which is amazing value for moeny!! Was cooked perfect all food was fresh and couldnt complain if we tried. The land lord did tell us before our meal "if you dont enjoy I wont even charge you".. well he deserves to be so certain because he wasnt wrong! Will tell all our friends and family and cant wait to go back!.. oh and the key lime pie gorgeous too!! Complements to the chef!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere