“Great stay - recommended” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   74 Edgeley Road | Edgeley, Stockport SK3 9NQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Stockport
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay - recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Visiting a friend for a birthday party and this was the nearest hotel; don't let the orangey brown bed linen put you off...we were very nicely surprised. The rooms were very spacious, clean, modern and well appointed, the staff were helpful and friendly even when we returned (quietly!) at 3am and the shower and breakfast was excellent. Would definitely recommend and use the Wycliffe again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about the Wycliffe. The management and staff enjoy comments of this kind, it gives great satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

A real gem of a find for the occasion of a best friends 60th birthday party. Mark, Roberto and the excellent staff proved almost psychic in anticipating the needs of our party. We arrived at various times over a 24 hour period and everyone talked positively about the experience.
We stayed three days, enjoyed great breakfasts and perfect evening meals that felt specially created for each of us in a group of 22. That's not an easy thing to do.
The Murder Mystery evening on the Saturday rounded things off perfectly.
Keep it up, and we hope others have the same experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a super event, it is so nice to see people enjoying the party. It makes all our efforts worth while. I would like to thank you for choosing the Wycliffe hotel and restaurant in the first place and I hope that we may welcome you and your party back again in the future.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Wycliffe is an independent family run hotel with restaurant with heavy leanings to italian cuisine. It prices itself to compete with the Premier Travel Inns and other good value chains and it competes remarkably well. The real stand out is the service which is excellent from check in through to check out and particularly the restaurant which has excellent food and service to go with it. Ample parking and a quiet location lead to a genuine peaceful stop over. It gets 5 out of 5 for the service -it reallty was superb and alot of hotels could leanr an awful lot from this establishment. Why walk over to the pub adjacent for your food when with this hotel you have it all under one roof.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind words, I and all the staff really appreciate them. As a small business it is great to meet the expectations of one of our valued clients. It is something that we aim for all of the time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Wycliffe hotel.
Stockport, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We needed a retreat for the late afternoon of a full day family wedding. Somewhere to just chill out for a couple of hours before the evening do and also somewhere to rid myself of my of my Alexei Sayle style suit. I'm sure it used to be baggier.
The Wycliffe proved excellent in both location and comfort. The whole place is nicer than I expected considering the location. Not that Edgeley is particularly bad but it isn't one of the more picturesque areas of Stockport.
Check in was straight forward but, unusually, we had to pay on arrival as opposed to on departure as is more usual. This was unimportant really and I only mention it for completeness. There were two couples in our party and we were allocated rooms 9 and 10, adjacent to each other on the first floor. I didn't see a lift so I'm guessing there isn't one, I may be wrong.
On entering the room I was surprised by the fairly large size and also the apparent newness of all the furnishings. The decor was the expected neutral colour and every thing looked clean and in working order. There are additional pillows in the wardrobe if the one each on the bed isn't enough. The quilt is at least 13 tog and I was really hot during the night. However, if you have the window open the aircraft noise is worse obviously. The bathroom is large and well appointed with a fairly decent sized shower cubicle. There is no bath. The pedestal is situated between the shower cubicle and the wall but even for me there was ample room to sit comfortably. Toilet roll was of good quality and the limited toiletries supplied were OK. Back in the bedroom, it was initially cold before we turned up the radiator. It did not seem to be on all the time and may be on a timer. Again I could be wrong about this. The brew facilities are good with ample supplies of everything and good quality biscuits. All in all everything was OK. The bar service was fast enough even though the hotel was fairly busy with it being Valentine's Day. Prices were probably what you'd expect for a hotel of this quality. A medium Pinot and a pint of San Miguel was £8-50.
Breakfast was great with everything seemingly freshly prepared including black pudding as standard, always a plus in my book. There is fresh fruit, cereal, fruit juice, toast etc available in a small buffet area and cooked food is ordered seperately.
I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to anyone visiting Stockport.

Room Tip: As the hotel is directly under the Manchester Airport Flightpath I think the choice of room is irrel...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your kind words. As a small business we rely on positive comments and we always try to achieve good feedback. You can be certain that we are always looking at the service and facilities that we provide with a burning ambition to improve. I will pass on your kind words to our staff and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My self and my husband have just returned from this hotel after spending Valentine's night there, we booked a deal and for a very reasonable price we had a meal plus bed and breakfast, on arrival we were booked in by a very pleasant gentleman, we arrived at our room which was very clean and I must say better quality than I had expected, all facilities are in the room including coffee/tea making, chocolates were also thrown in for valentines, we arrived in the bar and were seen to straight away, did not wait long before somebody came and escorted us to our table, the food in this place is beautiful just perfect both myself and husband can't wait to go back for more, the breakfast was equally perfect with a good range of cereals,toast and fruit before the cooked breakfast came out it was lovely, all in all myself and my husband can't wait to return this hotel is quiet,clean and the staff are so helpful and polite, the chef should have an award for his standard of food, will be recommending this place to all my family and friends, well done to the wycliffe for such great establishment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about the Wycliffe hotel, it is appreciated by us all. It is great to know that the event you attended went so well. I hope that we will be able to welcome you all back in the very near future.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel although I have visited the restaurant many times with family for birthdays, lunches and Christmas meals over the last 30 years. Once again check in was quick and easy and the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was large with a lovely corner shower and the room had everything you need for a comfortable stay.
The staff are friendly and efficient and there is a good sized car park. It is situated on a busy main road but noise was minimal and considering its' proximity to Manchester airport plane noise was not an issue.
I had reserved a table for my friend and I for dinner and as always the food was fabulous and the waiting staff were attentive and efficient. As usual the restaurant was extremely busy and this says it all as it is very popular for family celebrations. Similarly breakfast was lovely. This is a well run traditional hotel which offers good value accommodation. The restaurant is not cheap but the food is excellent and I never tire of eating there. Long may it stay the same.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
wycliffehotel, Manager at Wycliffe Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and it's restaurant. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed dining with us too. May I take this opportunity to thank you for you and your family's past visits and both I and my staff look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is our second visit to the Wycliffe, and we would have no hesitation coming again. The hotel is very welcoming, reception is very well run, ample car parking is available. The staff are very friendly. Our room (room 7) is lovely; spacious, well decorated, with the usual tea/coffee facilities, TV, plenty of wardrobe/shelving space, but with added extras like wall mounted hair drier, a trouser press combining an ironing board and iron. The en suite has a larger than average shower and better than average complementary toiletries.
The restaurant is spectacular. Italian based, the food is exceptional - as can be witnessed by every seat being full! There was plenty of choice to meet all tastes. My selections, chicken liver parfait, trio of pork and rice pudding (yes, you read that right!) with blackcurrant compote, was one of the tastiest meals I've had in a long while.
To sum up; lovely hotel, friendly staff, excellent food - what more can you ask for!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

As a small family run hotel we constantly strive to improve our service and facilities to our guests. I and my staff are so pleased that you have enjoyed your visit to the hotel and restaurant and have enjoyed what we are trying to achieve. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Wycliffe hotel.

Been to Wycliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!